Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76385 times)

Offline RiotAct

Max pitched a hell of a game on Thursday

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Max pitched a hell of a game on Thursday
No, not really

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Yes he did.

Dude, you're just fueling the contrarian. That kind of crap just makes Slate wood.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Dude, you're just fueling the contrarian. That kind of crap just makes Slate wood.

He's back to old ways again!

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
I would have kept Max in for one more batter and then pulled him if he gave up a walk or another hit. IMHO he got pulled a little early. Just like when Dusty pulled Russ Ortiz when he was pitching a solid game then the giants pen shat the bed vs the angels. Dusty continues to make the same mistakes in the playoffs.

Offline Slateman

Yes he did.
Did I watch an alternate reality that when his team had a one run lead he gave up a home run?

Offline dcpatti

Did I watch an alternate reality that when his team had a one run lead he gave up a home run?

That's on the offense, not on Max. If the lead had been 3 runs, the bomb wouldn't have mattered. Your pitcher can't be expected to throw a shutout game. It's nice when it happens. It just doesn't happen a lot.

Offline Natsinpwc

That's on the offense, not on Max. If the lead had been 3 runs, the bomb wouldn't have mattered. Your pitcher can't be expected to throw a shutout game. It's nice when it happens. It just doesn't happen a lot.
Exactly; dod his job.

Offline Optics

He did a good job, but was it a $200 Million performance? I mean look at Madbum's performance in the Wild Card game, complete game shutout. I know that's asking a lot, but we needed something more along those lines. 6 innings 1 ER is good but...I don't know it was kinda disappointing too especially since he got rocked in Game 1.

Offline Slateman

Exactly; dod his job.
He's a 200 million Ace Cy Young contender.  His job was to win and he didn't.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Max is not responsible for how much he is paid. I never understand this conflation of salary with performance. He's paid what the market will bear. Just like you and me.

He did a good job, but was it a $200 Million performance? I mean look at Madbum's performance in the Wild Card game, complete game shutout. I know that's asking a lot, but we needed something more along those lines. 6 innings 1 ER is good but...I don't know it was kinda disappointing too especially since he got rocked in Game 1.

Offline GburgNatsFan

This is true. Only pitcher wins count.

Online HalfSmokes

Max is not responsible for how much he is paid. I never understand this conflation of salary with performance. He's paid what the market will bear. Just like you and me.

Expectations go along with salary- a performance from a league minimum journeyman may get righyly praised, but the same performance by some one making $20 million a year would infuriate people.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Reasonable, but he gave up one bomb on a not-terrible pitch that the batter took to the opposite field.  For that game it's a 1.3 or so ERA? I think that's meeting expectations for an elite pitcher.

Expectations go along with salary- a performance from a league minimum journeyman may get righyly praised, but the same performance by some one making $20 million a year would infuriate people.

Online HalfSmokes

Reasonable, but he gave up one bomb on a not-terrible pitch that the batter took to the opposite field.  For that game it's a 1.3 or so ERA? I think that's meeting expectations for an elite pitcher.

That game did, doesn't make up for game 1 though

Offline DPMOmaha

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Offline GburgNatsFan

You are taking that way, way out of context. :D

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
That game did, doesn't make up for game 1 though

No it doesn't...the series was lost in Game 1.

Offline DPMOmaha

You are taking that way, way out of context. :D

It's applicable in many, many contexts. ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

No it doesn't...the series was lost in Game 1.
Not really. Had a 2-1 lead. Just had to not lose two in a row. And failed.

Offline dcpatti

He kept his team in it against a lefty-heavy lineup that was specifically constructed to eat right handed pitchers for lunch. His job is to give the team a chance. The team has to step up and get it done.

Online HalfSmokes

He kept his team in it against a lefty-heavy lineup that was specifically constructed to eat right handed pitchers for lunch. His job is to give the team a chance. The team has to step up and get it done.

Gio's job is to give the team a chance, his job is to dominate

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
For a couple years now the common cost associated with 1 WAR has been around $7 million. So far, Scherzer in two years has produced 10 WAR exactly according to Fangraphs. He is a third of the way to paying off his regular season value. The Nats paid for quality and have received it. This wasn't a shockingly good signing like Murphy or an overpay like Werth where you were trying to make a statement. The Nationals wanted a dominant ace, they paid for one, and have mostly gotten one.

Game 1 Scherzer did not perform. Game 5 he turned in a pretty good start. I think we all expected more this postseason and I think Scherzer would as well. He'll need to produce next postseason opportunity or it starts overshadowing his regular season brilliance.

Offline Slateman

2016 Cy Young