Author Topic: Who are your "other" teams?  (Read 4641 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Who are your "other" teams?
« Topic Start: May 23, 2015, 12:36:41 AM »
Just out of curiosity... who votes a straight ticket (Skins, Wizards and Caps), and who has some other teams that get your support in the other pro leagues?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Who are your "other" teams?
« Reply #1: May 23, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »
Etixx-Quickstep and Giant-Alpecin on the Worldtour, and UHC at the Pro-Continental level.

Only Boston pro team I follow other than the Red Sox is the Pats.  Pats are probably 2d or 3d, depending on how I feel about the Nats any given day.

In baseball, I follow a ton of teams out of interest, but generally am only a fan of players and managers other than the Sox and Nats.

Online DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
« Reply #2: May 23, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
I don't follow any NBA or NHL teams. With my association with the Nats I mildly pull for the Caps and Wizards if they make the playoffs, but I don't live and die with them. I follow Nebraska athletics as closely as I follow the Nats and am a season ticket holder for Nebrasketball.

Offline whytev

« Reply #3: May 23, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
Other sports are stupid, but I like the Calgary Flames in hockey.

My AL team is the Mariners.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #4: May 24, 2015, 12:45:36 AM »
I've lost interest in hockey, but I think that's because it was always a fun sport to watch in-person, and living in Texas, I'm pretty much limited to watching it on TV. I somehow took up with the Rangers as a kid, so yeah, I'm paying a little attention right now.

I'm having a pretty glorious life sports-wise right now. I don't recall a year when all of my teams were considered actual threats to win their league's championship.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
« Reply #5: May 24, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
NFL:  Redskins, Saints
NHL: Capitals
NCAA Hockey: Clarkson, Cornell
MLB: Pirates, Astros, Dodgers, Orioles
EPL: Just started watching this year and my son and I have decided to follow Everton since it's close to his first name "Everett."

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: May 24, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Just out of curiosity... who votes a straight ticket (Skins, Wizards and Caps), and who has some other teams that get your support in the other pro leagues?

Straight ticket.

And Terps of course, for college.

Offline madj55

« Reply #7: May 24, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
Straight ticket. However, since I was born in Chicago I do pull for the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: May 24, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »
NFL:  Steelers
NHL: Capitals
MLB: Nats    ....    distant second:   Pirates
NBA  Wiz

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #9: May 24, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
Astros
any game broadcasted by Vin Scully
San Antonio Spurs
Turkish national soccer

Offline Vega

• On the Cutting Edge
« Reply #10: May 24, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
Astros and Thunder.

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #11: May 24, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »
DC teams.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #12: May 24, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
NFL: Panthers
NHL: Hurricanes
NBA: Hornets
MLB: Nats..........Astros
World Cup: USA
Legends Football League: all of 'em

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #13: May 24, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »
So far, I'm blown away by the ratio of posters who also have a connection to the Stros... ie, given that I so despise their owner and his scheme with Devil Bud that I bid them adieu, and haven't been back to Minute Maid with the lone exception of my first and only Nats game last season... and even then, I didn't buy any concessions, and made a point to buy the ticket from a street vendor rather than give Crane any additional sales... and what's more, rumor has it, as I left the game that night, I made sure to run-up Crane's water bill just a little extra, flushing every toilet and urinal. (That last part... no, it's just a rumor. :P )

Offline skippy1999

• My dog hits better than Bryce 😡
« Reply #14: May 24, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
MLB: Nats & Red Sox
NFL:  Patriots, but my interest in football is declining as the level of play is decreasing.
NCAA Football:  Florida State Seminoles and the University of West Florida Argos when their football team starts in two years :woop: Also root for Baylor, West Virginia and Penn State.   

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #15: May 25, 2015, 01:05:30 AM »
So far, I'm blown away by the ratio of posters who also have a connection to the Stros... ie, given that I so despise their owner and his scheme with Devil Bud that I bid them adieu, and haven't been back to Minute Maid with the lone exception of my first and only Nats game last season... and even then, I didn't buy any concessions, and made a point to buy the ticket from a street vendor rather than give Crane any additional sales... and what's more, rumor has it, as I left the game that night, I made sure to run-up Crane's water bill just a little extra, flushing every toilet and urinal. (That last part... no, it's just a rumor. :P )
It's a good thing you don't live in Miami!!

I went to Rice and return to Houston 2-3 times a year, plus my years as a Nationals fan have left me with an incurable fondness for cheering for terrible teams.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #16: May 25, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
Baseball:  Nats first.  Os second. ANTI YANKEES
HOCKEY:  CAPS 1ST.  2ND Any Boudreau team
Football:  Redskins and whoever plays the Cowboys
Basketball :  Wiz but not a huge basketball fan.
College:  Hiram, Terps, any area college.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: May 25, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
In college hockey, while I have a clear favorite (who won the National Championship in 2013), I tend to follow how the rest of the conference does when they play outside the conference.  It probably has to do with the strict formula for invites (pairwise), but I'll pull for QU, Harvard, even Cornell if they are playing NCHC or B1G.

As for rooting for the Astros, they have some nice young players like Springer, some out of nowhere starting pitching success in Keuchel, McHugh, and maybe McCullers, and some nice misfits they use well like Valbuena.  Add in a competitive bullpen (how can anyone not like a submariner like Neshek), and it is easy to see how people can find them interesting.  But I don't root for them any more than KC, which has its share of  interesting pieces, or Cleveland, or TB.   

Offline Vega

• On the Cutting Edge
« Reply #18: May 25, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
I followed Bo Porter there when he left the Nats. He isn't there anymore, but I still like the team because of guys like Springer, Keuchel, Altuve, and a personal favorite player of mine for years in Pat Neshek.

Offline Minty Fresh

« Reply #19: May 25, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
So far, I'm blown away by the ratio of posters who also have a connection to the Stros...

My local A-Ball team is a Houston affiliate.  Watched Zobrist, Pence and a few other go through here.

Offline Minty Fresh

« Reply #20: May 25, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »
In college hockey, while I have a clear favorite (who won the National Championship in 2013), I tend to follow how the rest of the conference does when they play outside the conference.  It probably has to do with the strict formula for invites (pairwise), but I'll pull for QU, Harvard, even Cornell if they are playing NCHC or B1G. 

Same here.  I can reduce my standards and root for Yale every now and again . . .   :stir:

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #21: May 25, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Minty, where are you?

Those guys all played A-ball for the Lexington Legends, and I, too, watched them all in A-ball b/c I lived there for about 10 years.

But I thought Lexington got a new affiliate since I left in 2009 (?).

Offline madj55

« Reply #22: May 25, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Minty, where are you?

Those guys all played A-ball for the Lexington Legends, and I, too, watched them all in A-ball b/c I lived there for about 10 years.

But I thought Lexington got a new affiliate since I left in 2009 (?).
A good friend and former teammate of mine, Evan Beal, is playing there right now.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #23: May 25, 2015, 10:31:33 PM »
Astros
any game broadcasted by Vin Scully
San Antonio Spurs
Turkish national soccer

So much this.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #24: May 25, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »