Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57679 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #775: October 11, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
I don't see it next year. MAT in CF, Eaton in RF and Harper in LF. Robles is the 4th OF.
Sounds like our four best OFs talent wise, but I don't think we can afford to have Robles sit.  He needs to play everyday in the minors to get more experience for at least half the year.  When he's ready to come up for good, he should be a starter.  Maybe he and Taylor will force Rizzo to trade Eaton eventually (assuming Harper stays). 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #776: October 11, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
I agree with this. Don’t make any moves until you see what happens with Harper.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #778: October 11, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »
I could see him getting traded. I hope not, but with how Robles is progressing I could see it.
Robles has potential to be a superstar but for now Taylor is better.

With Eaton coming off a year injury and Harper entering contract year, Taylor has a really high value for Nats. He's the guy in center.

I'd like to see Robles in AAA to start season playing every day. Goodwin is the fourth outfielder. Difo may force the Nats to find him at bats in the outfield. But injuries happen and eventually the time will make sense to bring Robles up.

Offline whytev

« Reply #779: October 12, 2017, 02:06:08 AM »
Exactly.  I wonder how far the ball would have traveled if the wind was blowing out? 

What are we going to do with Robles?  If Harper leaves, maybe we'll still be OK in the outfield.  If he stays, our options for getting a decent return for trading 1-2 of our outfielders are looking better and better.

Taylor/Eaton/Harper next year.
Taylor/Eaton/Robles 2019.

Goodwin is 4th OF for life.

Offline whytev

« Reply #780: October 12, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
I don't see it next year. MAT in CF, Eaton in RF and Harper in LF. Robles is the 4th OF.

Robles does not waste service time at age 21 on the bench. He plays in AAA. Goodwin is 4th.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #781: October 12, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
Robles does not waste service time at age 21 on the bench. He plays in AAA. Goodwin is 4th.
Agreed.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #782: October 12, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
And we don't need Robles as a 4tb OF. Goodwin showed some serious potential this season. Competent defensively and solid bat. If Eaton is slow on the mend then he'll have a fight on his hands with Goodwin.

Watch Taylor go back go being a strikeout king next season as we keep trying to like him.

Online NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #783: October 12, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
MAT needs to hit higher in the order

Best #8 hitter in baseball.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #784: October 12, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
I always liked the idea of a speedy #8 hitter who is much easier to bunt over and score from second versus having a slow catcher there.   I see no reason to mess with him if he's hitting well in that spot.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #785: October 12, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
I see Eaton and Harper in the corners next year and MAT in CF with Goodwin on the bench and Robles playing in AAA every day.
And I like it.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #786: October 12, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
No way Robles breaks camp with the big club to be a 4th OF.  MAT starts in CF flanked by Eaton and Harper, I think we all agree that's obvious.  Goodwin would be your 4th OF to start the season with Robles in AAA.  I think we could even test the trade demand for Goodwin in the offseason to see if we can get a solid return.  If so, I'd use Difo as the "super sub" and give him more OF reps so that he's also the defacto 4th OF as well as utility IF.  If Robles is really looking great in AAA and is obviously ready, then we'll have to see how the OF situation sorts out.  If we aren't able to extend Harper this offseason, then I wouldn't consider trading anybody to make room, because in 2019 you'd anticipate MAT in CF, Eaton in LF, and Robles in RF.  I hope and expect MAT to continue playing well next year, but what if he reverts back to the MAT of previous seasons and Robles is tearing it up in AAA?  I think you see Robles starting and MAT on the bench.  Lots of possible scenarios, but I like our position with the OF.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #787: October 12, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
Watch Taylor go back go being a strikeout king next season as we keep trying to like him.

So should we sell high? Legimately, what do you think his ceiling is? I joke about him being the Black Mike Trout, but was this past season his ceiling?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #788: October 12, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
So should we sell high? Legimately, what do you think his ceiling is? I joke about him being the Black Mike Trout, but was this past season his ceiling?

Absolutely yes imo. The only thing that is different about him this year is his BABIP, and he's hitting fly balls 35% vs his usual 30%. All of the other peripherals about his swing are the same. It kind of surprised me, because my eyes told me his plate discipline had improved a bit and that he was squaring balls up a bit better. He does seem to be doing more damage on balls in the zone, but that's probably BABIP. He's not hitting any more line drives than he has before, and I don't think his fly ball change is due to any sort of conscious effort.

I think there's a >90% chance he regresses. Remember that in the minors he had one 98 game stretch at AA that hinted that he might be able to be an average or better MLB hitter, and this was the first time he was able to do it in the majors.

If we can get a decent reliever under control for 3 years or a prospect for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Unless, you can get him to calm his swing down and stop trying to hit home runs. He's so athletic and has all the ability to actually hit near enough to how he's hitting now, and strike out less if he wouldn't swing so goddam hard. It's the same thing Ian Desmond did toward the end. When he had a short, simple swing he was great, when he fell in love with power, it got long and K-ish. But Taylor has never tried to shorten his swing. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but when I see him swing, I just wonder what would happen if he started his hands where Murphy does and nearly abandon his leg kick.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #789: October 12, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
No way Robles breaks camp with the big club to be a 4th OF.  MAT starts in CF flanked by Eaton and Harper, I think we all agree that's obvious.  Goodwin would be your 4th OF to start the season with Robles in AAA.  I think we could even test the trade demand for Goodwin in the offseason to see if we can get a solid return.  If so, I'd use Difo as the "super sub" and give him more OF reps so that he's also the defacto 4th OF as well as utility IF.  If Robles is really looking great in AAA and is obviously ready, then we'll have to see how the OF situation sorts out.  If we aren't able to extend Harper this offseason, then I wouldn't consider trading anybody to make room, because in 2019 you'd anticipate MAT in CF, Eaton in LF, and Robles in RF.  I hope and expect MAT to continue playing well next year, but what if he reverts back to the MAT of previous seasons and Robles is tearing it up in AAA?  I think you see Robles starting and MAT on the bench.  Lots of possible scenarios, but I like our position with the OF.

Someone will get hurt.  Someone always gets hurt.  Goodwin stays as the 4th OF, but if someone goes out for 3 months, Robles comes up as a starter.  Nobody gets traded until Robles is definitely up to stay.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #790: October 12, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline tzinc

« Reply #791: October 12, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
Harper is a Nat for Life

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #792: October 12, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Even if the team thinks this is his ceiling, keep him if they're confident he can do it again. He had 3 WAR in 118 games. That isn't bad.

I think you have to keep him, regardless how high you are on Goodwin and Robles. Harper may be gone after next season and we hope but don't know if Eaton will bounce back.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #793: October 12, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
In an "I'll always cherish the time I spent with the Nats" kind of way, sure.

Harper is a Nat for Life

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #794: October 12, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
Even if the team thinks this is his ceiling, keep him if they're confident he can do it again. He had 3 WAR in 118 games. That isn't bad.

I think you have to keep him, regardless how high you are on Goodwin and Robles. Harper may be gone after next season and we hope but don't know if Eaton will bounce back.

Taylor was 12th among all MLB centerfielders. 7 of the 11 above him played in at least 140 games. the others are Trout, Pham, Conforto and Aaron Hicks. He's a good center fielder. It would take a big offer for me to deal him away.

« Reply #795: October 12, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
Someone will get hurt.  Someone always gets hurt.  Goodwin stays as the 4th OF, but if someone goes out for 3 months, Robles comes up as a starter.  Nobody gets traded until Robles is definitely up to stay.

I agree it's likely somebody gets hurt.  If we get a great offer for Goodwin, however, I'm selling him before it becomes obvious we're overloaded with OFs and we lose bargaining leverage.  If we don't get a good offer, then obviously you keep him.  I like Difo as the 4th OF/utility IF all rolled up into one.  I also am okay with trotting Robles out earlier than planned if injuries force the issue in April/May. 

« Reply #796: October 12, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »
I imagine the A's would be interested in a cheap/controllable player like Goodwin, and we do 27 trades with them a year anyway.  I don't know off-hand what they would really have to offer us of interest.  We don't need a starting position player, and another bench player in a swap for Goodwin is redundant.  Maybe a #4/#5 type starting pitcher for depth?  Bullpen help? 

I wouldn't "sell high" on MAT, because I don't think this is a fluke at all.  My cuz has told me how talented MAT is for years, he just hadn't put it together yet.  I think he can be a 20/20 or even 25/25 guy with plus D in CF and also hit for a respectable average.  We need a CF because Eaton isn't going to be as he ages. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #797: October 12, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
Sounds like our four best OFs talent wise, but I don't think we can afford to have Robles sit.  He needs to play everyday in the minors to get more experience for at least half the year.  When he's ready to come up for good, he should be a starter.  Maybe he and Taylor will force Rizzo to trade Eaton eventually (assuming Harper stays). 

Goodwin as 4th OF. Robles in AAA. Goodwin proved himself to be ready for MLB, including CF. Let Robles attend "finishing school".

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #798: October 12, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
I see no reason to deal anyone. There isn't a law stating that, because Goodwin had a half season where he looked like a full-time player, that he's owed a full-time job somewhere, and must be dealt if he doesn't have a full-time job here. Eaton, MAT, Harper next year with Goodwin in the 4th OF spot. Difo in the Drew UT spot.

If Robles comes up in 2019 and pushes Goodwin back down again after Harper leaves, so be it - the world needs ditch diggers, too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #799: October 12, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
Goodwin as 4th OF. Robles in AAA. Goodwin proved himself to be ready for MLB, including CF. Let Robles attend "finishing school".

Did Willie spend a lot of time in finishing school?     Did "the Mick" spend time in finishing school?     Did Roberto spend a lot of time in finishing school?     Henry?      NO     Free Robles.

Over the top?     ;)