Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57818 times)

Offline sayhey

Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #700: July 09, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »
Nats can't seem to win without Michael A. Taylor.  :shock:

Offline Optics

« Reply #701: July 09, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
Nats can't seem to win without Michael A. Taylor.  :shock:

Well he got hurt right after Turner so we're essentially without a 1 or 2 hole hitter. We were doing okay without Eaton because Taylor was giving us similar expected production(only a slight drop off)but losing him AND Turner has crippled this offense's consistency.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #702: September 08, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »
:whip:

:worship:

Offline slhubic

« Reply #703: September 08, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
I...LIKE (no need to equivocate, here) Michael A. Taylor.  always have.  even when he was being jumped on for some of the down times, he is still such a young player.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #704: September 08, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
Inside the park grand slam my ass.  But I really liked how he rand out that  four-base error!             

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #705: September 08, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »
Inside the park grand slam my ass.  But I really liked how he rand out that  four-base error!           

All the baseball scoring purists can just suck it!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #706: September 08, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »
I don't completely disagree with Ray D on this one. Baseball scoring can be quirky. It was a tough play but it wasn't worthy of a HR. Herrera misplayed it at the crack of the bat and even if he reads it correctly it would've taken a hell of a play to make the catch. It should've been a double with a two base error.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #707: September 08, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
I don't completely disagree with Ray D on this one. Baseball scoring can be quirky. It was a tough play but it wasn't worthy of a HR. Herrera misplayed it at the crack of the bat and even if he reads it correctly it would've taken a hell of a play to make the catch. It should've been a double with a two base error.

That would have been a 5 star catch if he had made it. He didn’t put a glove on it. It definitely wasn’t a 4 base error and to have arbitrarily called it a double would have been pure speculation.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #708: September 08, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
That would have been a 5 star catch if he had made it.

Maybe even 6 stars. :lol:

It definitely wasn’t a 4 base error and to have arbitrarily called it a double would have been pure speculation.

To call it a HR is an even worse decision (and you should appreciate this with how much you base your opinion on stats, but of course this benefits a Nats player so you're probably OK with it). If he goes in the right direction and it goes over his head, like it likely would have, where do you think Taylor ends up?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #709: September 08, 2017, 11:25:43 PM »

Maybe even 6 stars. :lol:

To call it a HR is an even worse decision (and you should appreciate this with how much you base your opinion on stats, but of course this benefits a Nats player so you're probably OK with it). If he goes in the right direction and it goes over his head, like it likely would have, where do you think Taylor ends up?

I love stats. But I don’t think there is a stat that supports your view.  The guy didn’t make a catch we all agree would have been difficult due to how hard it was hit. The fielder didn’t get a glove on it. He didn’t mishandle it and and there wasn’t a throwing error. And Taylor ended up with 4 bases, mostly due to his speed. Calling it a home run reflects what actually happened. Calling it a double is just pure speculation.

On an unrelated note, why do you want to piss in everyone’s cornflakes? 🙂

Offline spidernat

« Reply #710: September 08, 2017, 11:43:20 PM »
He didn’t mishandle it and and there wasn’t a throwing error. And Taylor ended up with 4 bases, mostly due to his speed.

There wasn't a glove mishandle or throwing error because he freaked it up from the jump. It's because he misjudged it so badly that the play didn't require a bobble or a bad throw. Even Taylor in the postgame interview said that he was shocked to see Herrera charging forward.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #711: September 08, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »

There wasn't a glove mishandle or throwing error because he freaked it up from the jump. It's because he misjudged it so badly that the play didn't require a bobble or a bad throw. Even Taylor in the postgame interview said that he was shocked to see Herrera charging forward.

Fine. Home cooking by the official scorer. Not the first time it’s happened.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #712: September 08, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »
Fine. Home cooking by the official scorer. Not the first time it’s happened.

In all honesty, I'm not really objecting to the scorer's decision because that is the way most of them would score it and that's the way it's been scored for a long time. I just think Ray D has a point. This isn't the case here but I'd hate for this type of "homer" to decide the HR or RBI race. :lol: Also, I bet the pitcher would like Taylor's run to be scored as unearned.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #713: September 08, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
Seriously, guys? It was an awesome moment. Let's let it be that for, say, 24 hours.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #714: September 09, 2017, 01:00:10 AM »
Seriously, guys? It was an awesome moment. Let's let it be that for, say, 24 hours.
Michael Taylor is a defensive stud who is solid on the bases and has hit all year.

He's a franchise cornerstone.

Change the thread title to "Extend Taylor"

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #715: September 09, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
I love stats. But I don’t think there is a stat that supports your view.  The guy didn’t make a catch we all agree would have been difficult due to how hard it was hit. The fielder didn’t get a glove on it. He didn’t mishandle it and and there wasn’t a throwing error. And Taylor ended up with 4 bases, mostly due to his speed. Calling it a home run reflects what actually happened. Calling it a double is just pure speculation.

Some (not specifically spider) have issues with reality.     As an old buddy of mine used to say, "Reality's a nag."

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #716: September 09, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »

Indeed

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #717: September 09, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »
Indeed
He has 2.6 WAR.

That's not a good game, that's a good season.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #718: September 09, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »

I was there last night and it may be one of the neatest things I ever saw at a sporting event. I never thought I would see an inside of the park grand slam. It was an "I was there" moment.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #719: September 09, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »

Yeah seriously.  I enjoyed it as much as anyone else.  I still think it's an error.  Saying "it would have been a five star catch" (or six star) and "he didn't lay a glove on it" - well, neither would be true if he had taken a normal route.  And about pissing in cormflakes - well, calling that a homerun just cheapens a real homerun.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #720: September 09, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
Ditto...the buzz in my section didn't subside for the rest of the game

I was there last night and it may be one of the neatest things I ever saw at a sporting event. I never thought I would see an inside of the park grand slam. It was an "I was there" moment.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #721: September 09, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
And about pissing in cormflakes - well, calling that a homerun just cheapens a real homerun.

Doesn’t every inside the park homer involve a serious misplay by at least one outfielder? Usually what happens is a guy mistimes a jump, misses the ball and it hits off the wall and just rolls back into the field while other guys give lazy chase or lie on the ground. I’m not sure why this one is so different.

And given the the history of baseball, the idea we need to protect the integrity of home runs is absurd. Did Brian McCann somehow end up on this forum?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #722: September 09, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
Getting a bad jump is not an error. That's not an error type. Having bad range isn't an error either. That's why Derek Jeter had so few errors despite being so bad at defense - he never got to the ball, so he couldn't commit an error on it.

Unless the ball actually hit Herrera's glove, the Taylor hit was clean.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #723: September 09, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
Getting a bad jump is not an error. That's not an error type. Having bad range isn't an error either. That's why Derek Jeter had so few errors despite being so bad at defense - he never got to the ball, so he couldn't commit an error on it.

Unless the ball actually hit Herrera's glove, the Taylor hit was clean.

QFT

Offline Optics

« Reply #724: September 09, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
He lasered that hit. Shouldn't have been an inside the parker obviously but most of the time that's a clean double.

I'm happy for Magic Mike. He's really thrived with regular ABs.