Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57735 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #650: June 27, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
Per ESPN Eddie Matz

Since April 29th (the day after Adam Eaton went down), Michael A. Taylor has 29 extra-base hits. Only Bellinger and Arenado have more

https://mobile.twitter.com/espneddiematz/status/879877498758213632

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #651: July 04, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
Seriously, though, it's been over two months since Eaton went down and MAT has performed admirably. When can we believe that as Mitlen says, he's turned the corner. Another month? 81 games? An entire season? I want to like him.

Offline awbb

« Reply #652: July 05, 2017, 05:51:16 AM »
Seriously, though, it's been over two months since Eaton went down and MAT has performed admirably. When can we believe that as Mitlen says, he's turned the corner. Another month? 81 games? An entire season? I want to like him.

It depends what you want out of a player really. If he can hit .280 with ~20-25 homers for the season it's difficult to complain about that production as a replacement CF (as that is what he is). If there's a genuine thought that he'll be regarded as a starting outfielder next year, with Werth gone then I think he HAS to start being a little more disciplined at the plate:

BA down slightly, SLG down slightly, K% down significantly, OBP up significantly.

Currently, to my untrained eye, pitchers seem to have been happy to throw strikes to MAT, usually fastballs and quite often catching a lot of the plate. Presumably they work on the fact that he whiffs a lot. These are hittable pitches and I tend to think is what has allowed him to put a lot of balls in play and show off some pop this season, contributing to his .386 BABIP (Fangraphs).

The other side is that I am not sure he has actually got much better at making contact with a suitable number of pitches actually in the strike-zone. It's not much of a problem when he has strikes to play with but with the power MAT has (It's pretty good but not "elite") it's not ideal for him to swing for the fences and K on pitches he should be capable of getting some bat on and fouling off (at the least). Extend the AB, drive up the pitcher's pitch count, maybe get the chance to hit a real mistake & walk a bit more. OK, most of the time he bats 8 and that means he's unlikely to get much support directly from behind him in the lineup, but the ability to turn the line over is pretty useful asset too.

Bearing in mind his jump in average and HRs he is still going along at a pretty standard clip for Ks, which suggests either what he's doing now is sustainable (he's bringing more power to the table and will continue to do so) or that he's had a bit of luck, or that pitchers will adjust to him and we will see stats regress somewhat.

However:

K%
MLB Career    34.3 (MLB),
2017             33.9 (MLB),
Last 30 days  31.4 (Fangraphs),
Last 7 days    28.0 (Fangraphs)

Interestingly, MAT's BB% is 20.0 (career average of 6.4) during the last 7 days too, suggesting that perhaps pitchers are becoming more wary about him. Clearly 7 days is a small sample size combined with the fact in that time he's been at the top of the order as well so perhaps difficult to compare, but if that trend continues, it would be nice. Very nice. Let's hope he learns what Espinosa couldn't.

TL;DR: I want him to strike out less and walk more, whilst maintaining >.260 average and ~20 homers per season.

A dig at Danny Espinosa.
  :mg:

Offline baldkid

« Reply #653: July 07, 2017, 01:40:33 AM »
Oblique strain, if the injury sidelines him for a while I'm sure Rizzo will do something to improve the team :hysterical:.

Offline awbb

« Reply #654: July 07, 2017, 03:55:13 AM »
Oblique strain, if the injury sidelines him for a while I'm sure Rizzo will do something to improve the team :hysterical:.

No need with with the HoF calibre OF glove of Wilmer Difo waiting on the bench.

How long is an oblique strain normally? 3-4 weeks? With Heisey ready to come off rehab as depth to Raburn, Goodwin and Harper we've got no OFers left on the 40-man roster who are not on the DL (Werth & Bautista).

It's surprising that the strain is "something he's been dealing with" while putting up comfortable career numbers; I am not getting excited about the damage he can do when he returns from the DL though.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #655: July 07, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
I'm getting worried.  We've basically been a .500 ball team for 6 weeks now.  The crappy division we're in is the only thing that saves us this (regular) season.  We're out in 4 games again.
Now that Gio didn't make the All-Star team he'll regress to 2016 form because the motivation is gone.  leadoff hitter, backup leadoff hitter, #2 hitter, backup #2 hitter are all out long term.  What a nightmare.  Bullpen is still the world's worst nightmare.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #656: July 07, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »

Zuck says they think it's minor and that they hope he'll be back after the all star break.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #657: July 07, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
I'm getting worried.  We've basically been a .500 ball team for 6 weeks now.  The crappy division we're in is the only thing that saves us this (regular) season.  We're out in 4 games again.
Now that Gio didn't make the All-Star team he'll regress to 2016 form because the motivation is gone.  leadoff hitter, backup leadoff hitter, #2 hitter, backup #2 hitter are all out long term.  What a nightmare.  Bullpen is still the world's worst nightmare.

Zactly.    I don't wanna go too far with it but we have been pretty "average" for 6 or so weeks.    Based on the schedule, we've been playin' pretty average teams as well.    Starting pitching, the All-Star's hitting (shining of Goodwin and Taylor) have really saved our tushes.    Even these things have a hard time off settin' the bullpen.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #658: July 07, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
I will not be worried if we take 2 in this series. But, now that means 2 out of 3, not 2 out of 4.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #659: July 07, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
I will not be worried if we take 2 in this series. But, now that means 2 out of 3, not 2 out of 4.

They (Braves) have great hitting.  I know they won't catch us because their pitching is sub-par...  but enough with the injuries already.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #660: July 07, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
They (Braves) have great hitting.  I know they won't catch us because their pitching is sub-par...  but enough with the injuries already.
"great" is probably a little generous. 15th in OBP, 21st in runs scored and they don't slug at all.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #661: July 07, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Zuck says they think it's minor and that they hope he'll be back after the all star break.
He's on the 10-day DL so I think that means he's out until the 17th.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #662: July 07, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »

We're decimated by injuries to regulars (Eaton, Turner, Werth) and have a bullpen that is literally all turds. Eventually that will catch up to us, but the division will save us. Just ride it out until the trade deadline, get help for the bullpen, and prepare for a full lineup in August.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #663: July 07, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
We're decimated by injuries to regulars (Eaton, Turner, Werth) and have a bullpen that is literally all turds. Eventually that will catch up to us, but the division will save us. Just ride it out until the trade deadline, get help for the bullpen, and prepare for a full lineup in August.

This.  Fix the bullpen and get just Turner and one of Werth or Taylor back from the DL and put the pedal to the metal.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #664: July 07, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
"great" is probably a little generous. 15th in OBP, 21st in runs scored and they don't slug at all.

I'm a generous guy, ...unless I'm talking about the Nats.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #665: July 07, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
Janes just mentioned that Michael A.'s problem has been goin' on for several weeks and he's played through it.    Maybe that's why he missed a few games.

Offline whytev

« Reply #666: July 07, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
Janes just mentioned that Michael A.'s problem has been goin' on for several weeks and he's played through it.    Maybe that's why he missed a few games.

I...I think I like Michael A. Taylor.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #667: July 07, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »
I...I think I like Michael A. Taylor.

He was turnin' the corner.

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #668: July 07, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »

But with Freddie Freeman back combined with Kurt "Godzilla" Suzuki expect them to start moving up those lists

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #669: July 07, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
That's probably how he sprained his oblique.

He was turnin' the corner.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #670: July 07, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

That's what happens when it takes you too long navigate through a corner.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #671: July 07, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
We could be optimistic and say that he was smart about this. He was tough and played through, while all the while keeping the team and training staff involved.
And if he was batting near .300 and playing plus defense while dealing with an injury, it might bode well for when he comes back healthy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #672: July 07, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
I'm thoroughly optimistic about Michael A Taylor.

We could be optimistic and say that he was smart about this. He was tough and played through, while all the while keeping the team and training staff involved.
And if he was batting near .300 and playing plus defense while dealing with an injury, it might bode well for when he comes back healthy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #673: July 07, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »

How come no one every sprains an obtuse? 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #674: July 07, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
It's too dense.

How come no one every sprains an obtuse?