Author Topic: Perspective on HRs at RFK  (Read 1813 times)

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
Perspective on HRs at RFK
« Topic Start: August 02, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
The Nats "sluggers" have been crying about the fences at RFK, but let's take a look at the last 8 games.  We have hit 1 homer, while the opponents have hit 10.  

Now let's examine further.  The BAs of the guys that have hit HRs for the bad guys are:  .216, .219, .222, .292, .314, .179, .308, .248, .240, and .239.

Of the 10 HRs, 6 were hit by guys hitting .240 or less.  

Guillen & the rest- quit crying about the fences, butch up, and knock the dang ball out of the park!

Offline rileyn

« Reply #1: August 02, 2005, 10:13:54 PM »
It makes me want to bang my head against a wall, but I guess it just goes to show that we simply do not have good hitters.

Wilkerson - As a "new" fan of this team, I know the stats say that he hit 30 HR's last year but did anyone actually see this happen?  Perhaps Kenzafan can verify for us.  All is see is 110 strikeouts.

Vidro - been injured, but not getting it done.

Guillen - RFK is in his head.  He is a different player.  Honestly, he is my favorite player on the team because he plays his nuts off every night, but I think he has some selfish at bats at home.

Johnson - a stud, but wouldn't be a clean up hitter on any other team.

Castilla - Toast.  Thanks for trying to play through the pain, but looks like a mess at the plate.  Did he really lead the league in RBI's last year?

Wilson - carbon coby of Wifferson.  Did he really lead the league in RBI's two years ago?

Schneider - solid hitter for a catcher.  He is a keeper.

Guzman - uhhhhh

Church - has been AWFUL since crashing into the wall.

Honestly, the truth hurts but we just don't have the ability to score runs.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: August 02, 2005, 10:42:56 PM »
the opposing teams certainly do not have any problems with hitting the ball over the fence here.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: August 02, 2005, 10:59:15 PM »
When your bench is out performing your starters, there is something seriously wrong with this team. The problems aren't just on the field, they are upstairs as well.

Wilkerson: Even though the Olympic Stadium was more a pitcher's park than hitter, it was a good park for power hitters. He's never had a smooth stroke at the plate, he swings like he's still playing AAA. He may be the guy in the Chevy Chase Bank commercials, but on a solid team he's a very good 4th outfielder at best. Remember he was with the Expos because he was cheap. Any players who became good and expensive have been traded or have gone someplace else.

Wilson: Man, I'm overjoyed this guy wont be back next year. Wat was once a very good defensive center fielder, is now a so-so corner guy at best. He's not the power bat Bowden claimed he was, not even close. We knew that before the trade and we know it even more now.

Guillen: The problem with him at the plate is he thinks he's the worlds best power hitter. One of the hardest working head case in baseball.

NOTE: Wifferson and Wiffson both swing for the fences every time up with obvious results. They aren't even trying for a base hit, and Guillen, he has got to stop looking at how far the fence is. You can drive just as many runners in from scoring position with a solid single, but he too swings to kill the ball...

Vidro: He's been in the DL for 50 or more game two years in a row. His time as a star if over. The time to trade him was this year, because he wont have the same value once the season is over.

Johnson: I love how he hits, but I'm starting to think that he's a mamma's boy, he cant play in pain, and what seem to be minor injuries always turn out to put him on the DL.

Castilla: Bowden signed him for his glove and that's what he got, because away from Coors, he's no better than a good AAA defensive 3B.

Schneider: What can I say, Brian comes to play. The best way to improve on the catching position would be to find a better backup than Bennett.

Guzman: Good glove, that's it... He should ask MLB for permission to use an aluminum bat, because the only way we're gonna enjoy watching him hit if there are sound effects.

Church: No one believed me when I said he was a flash in the pan. He's a good OF, but not a great one, no matter how much he resembles Fred Lynn.

Robinson: Again, when myself and others said he took naps during games, no one believed us. They all saw his great playing career and assumed he was also a great manager. WRONG!

Coaching staff: the sooner they are all gone the better

Bowden: Trader Jim wasn't. Since he took over, he really only pulled off one major trade and that was for Guillen. In Wilson, he acquired a players the Rockies had been trying to get rid of, and we gave up a player who was in Frank's doghouse and a minor league outfielder. Nothing he's done has been remotely close to impressive.

In July the pitching pitched its heart out and had a better team ERA than they did in June when they went 20-6. The problem with this team is not that they cant score runs, its that they don't know how.

Truth be known, except for Schneider, there s not one hitter on this team that I would rush to, or even consider signing if they were a free agent today.

CapitolCityGoofball

« Reply #4: August 04, 2005, 05:21:01 PM »
I think the assesment of the lineup here is pretty dead on.   I add the following

Guillen - I love him to death but....he is very streaky, definitely not a 3rd or 4th place hitter, and the majority of his biggest games in his best season of '04 were when batting 5th behind Guerrero or Glaus.

Church - jury still out for me...presently too much of a pull hitter, he must learn to hit to all fields, especially offspeed pitches on outer half from RHP.  What exactly was his injury again?  Torn pectoral muscle I believe?  That is a tough injury to quickly recover from.

I welcome an '06 lineup of Schnieder, Guillen, Church, and N Johnson plus new 2B, SS, 3B, and CF.

Despite Bowden's tough talk, I absolutely positively guarantee the fences will be moved in 10-15 feet in the power alleys before start of '06 season

BigRChurchfan

« Reply #5: August 05, 2005, 09:24:05 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

Guzman: Good glove, that's it... He should ask MLB for permission to use an aluminum bat, because the only way we're gonna enjoy watching him hit if there are sound effects.

:lol: sweet jesus that was hilarious.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #6: August 06, 2005, 11:53:18 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

Bowden: Trader Jim wasn't. Since he took over, he really only pulled off one major trade and that was for Guillen. In Wilson, he acquired a players the Rockies had been trying to get rid of, and we gave up a player who was in Frank's doghouse and a minor league outfielder. Nothing he's done has been remotely close to impressive.

Regarding the Guillen trade, the Angels were trying to get rid of him too.  Imagine if we had kept Izturis and traded them someone else.  Izturis is doing pretty well, and from what I've heard, has a better glove then his brother (who is pretty good).

Also, I still love Vidro.  I've been an Expos fan all my life, so to see Vidro gone would suck for me.  Even though he's not doing well, he's still my second favorite National (because no one is cooler than Chad).

Another thing is that Drese and Armas have been sucking.  Even though Drese pitched great today, overall, he's terrible.  Why would a team that needs starting pitching really badly give up their opening day starter?

I've been away for a week, so correct me if I'm wrong about Drese and Armas.

Also, I don't understand why we signed Stanton and why Eischen is on the team.  Stanton is getting paid a lot of money to get lefties out and he loses the first game he comes into without throwing a pitch (I know he didn't get the loss, but still...).  Eischen can't seem to get anyone out.  He had one good year, and now he's bad.  I think we should call up Bill Bray.

Another thing that makes me wonder why Bowden still has a job is why is released Kim.  Kim was pitching well and was our only guy who could go 3 IP (or more) from the pen.  Why not send down (or release) Cepicky?  He's pretty bad, and I don't see what Robinson or Bowden or anyone sees in him.  Especially after trading for that "big bat" in Preston Wilson, why do we need Cepicky?  And Blanco plays LF (along with 1B/3B), so why not get rid of Cepicky?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: August 07, 2005, 01:11:02 AM »
Are you sure you were away just a week? Sounds like you missed more than that. Armas has stunk all season, Drese except for three starts hasn't been much more than a 6th starter at best. (same as Armas)

The Yankees are paying are paying most of Stanton's salary, and he's been getting better the more he pitches. As for his being the reason for the Nats losing his first game, get yourself informed. Tonight's home plate umpire, who at the time was umpiring at first base, called a balk that never happened. Stanton is doing exactly what he was signed for. He also has a bit of closer instinct which helps him and the team.

The reason Bowden still has a job, because it would be ludicrous to fire him (or Frank) with the new owners  taking over in the next month or two... It will be their decision and their job to do the firing. Working for MLB for them right now is job security. Besides, MLB doesn't give a sweet chitt if the Nats win or lose, as long as they get top dollar out of the sale of the team.

there are two reasons why they released Kim. One, the team is struggling at the plate, not on the mound, two, he ended up in Frank's doghouse and it was easier to put him on waivers than Cepicky, who will be gone soon enough. Kim isn't that great a pitcher, he never was, his biggest handicap was Frank Robinson... Maybe he'll do better with the Rockies, but since he's no longer on the team, I don't really care, nor will I miss Frank's sacrificial lamb. There are pitchers in New Orleans who can do just as good, and possibly better job than Kim was doing.