Author Topic: Restaurant scene thread  (Read 6794 times)

Offline blue911

Re: restaurant scene thread
« Reply #50: May 07, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
Are you sure he was indian and not, say, Pakastani?

I think he means filthy savage indians not tech support indians

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #51: May 07, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »
I should probably have left out that particular detail, although it was central to the surreality of the experience...he was done up in full warrior costume, complete with eagle feathers and a woven bone breastplate.

Awesome...

BTW...the game was pretty awesome last night as well...happy we only had to endure the one "Let's Go Rangers" chant...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #52: May 07, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Next weekend I'm going to meet up with some of my cycling buddies at the Butcher & The Boar down by Target Field.  Apparently Kurt Studzuki and Trevor Plouffe are regulars there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: May 07, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »
I should probably have left out that particular detail, although it was central to the surreality of the experience...he was done up in full warrior costume, complete with eagle feathers and a woven bone breastplate.
so you are saying one of the Village People?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #54: May 07, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
Didn't see any hard hats, though there very well may have been some biker hats and leather chaps.   
so you are saying one of the Village People?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #55: May 07, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
 :hysterical:
I think he means filthy savage indians not tech support indians

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #56: May 07, 2015, 06:55:17 PM »
:spit:

So I was taking Greyhound from Reno to SF, and there was this incredibly drunk Indian dude who was making his way back from Wisconsin where he had gone on a Dahmer pilgrimage (I had encountered Charles Manson groupies before, but this was something new)...he creeped everyone out so badly, the driver got a standing ovation after he drove off while the guy was in the pisser.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #57: May 10, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
Charlie palmer steak

:clap:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #58: May 12, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Houston-Nat's Handy Texas Restaurant Scene Handbook
for all your travel/tourism needs

Austin
South Congress Ave. district - like 6th Street for grown-ups, this is a great destination for shopping, eating, and nightlife. There's a must-see costume store (Lucy in Disguise) and Allen's Boots, the classic cowboy boot store.
- South Congress Cafe: great brunches, classic southwestern dinners (things like rotisserie Texas quail)
- Perla: great, great seafood place that flies in the good stuff daily. Nice white wine list (was once on Bourdain)
- Mrs. P's Electric Cock: trailer that sells chicken 'n' waffles, but more importantly, its name is "Mrs. P's Electric Cock"
- Hopdoddy: the classic Texas burger bar. Those clever bastards put the craft beer taps along the line you have to wait in to order, for maximum drunk-getting

Elsewhere in Austin:
- Whip-In: it's a convenience store that's also a beer store that's also a bar that's also an Indian snack food restaurant that's also a live music venue, because Austin
- G'Raj Mahal: the reigning south Asian food truck champion
- East Side Kings: the reigning east Asian food truck champion
- Hopfields: Belgian food, amazing tartes/quiches, and like 50+ beer taps
- Franklin's BBQ: I have never been, because of the lines, but bring a beer cooler if you go so the time spent waiting will go faster. Or go to La Barbecue, which is also pretty great

Dallas
- The Blind Butcher: an orgy of meat. Maybe you want brisket cheddar jalapeno sausage. Maybe you want pastrami egg rolls. Maybe you want slow-roasted duck on top of poutine. Maybe you want brussels sprouts studded with bacon. Maybe you want everything...
- Pecan Lodge: Dallas's other noteworthy orgy of meat, Texas Monthly's official #2 best BBQ in the world and way easier to get into than Franklin's. Order the beef rib...just do it
- Knife: Dallas's other other noteworthy orgy of meat. 200+ day dry-aged ribeye. Bacon tastings. Everything is great. There's a whole aging room for you to ogle as you walk in
- Royal China: sit at the dumpling counter and the dude stretching the noodles will shamelessly show off his various dough-spinning tricks. The sweet old ladies making the dumplings by hand do not indulge in that behavior...they just give you steamers of amazingness
- Super H Mart food court: the Korean supermarket's food court. Mmmmmmm
- El Come Taco (for Mexico City style tacos and eccentric cuts like lengua, cheek, and sometimes grasshoppers [!]); Tacos La Banqueta (for the "choriqueso", a.k.a. a quesadilla that is pure meat, cheese, and deliciousness)
- Zalat Pizza: stoner pizzas (Reuben sandwich pizza, chicken teriyaki pizza, sriracha jalapeno tabasco pizza) served stoner style (you order by text message) and with an optional "420 Special": 2 sodas and 2 candy bars for $4.20

Fort Worth
- The Woodshed: BBQ brisket is great, but LAMB brisket?!?! Only one place to find out (spoilers: it's also great)

Houston
- Fu Fu Cafe: the best Chinese restaurant in Texas. The waitstaff all hate you, the place is so full of Chinese people you can't hear yourself think, and life is beautiful
- District 7: meets the two criteria which make for a great brunch place: (a) no crowds, and (b) $1 mimosas
- The Breakfast Klub: not my scene, but this is Beyonce's favorite restaurant, FYI
- Underbelly: watch this space, I'm going in June
- Hugo's/Caracol: Chef Hugo Ortega's hugely acclaimed Mex-Mex empire
- Molina's: in case you want to pass on the Mex-Mex in favor of Houston's best green chile enchiladas and margaritas

San Antonio
- Il Sogno: fancy-ish, delicious Italian joint with homemade pastas (same goes for Giacomo's in Houston and Nonna in Dallas)
- Acenar: the best place on the Riverwalk is a Tex-Mex joint with a nightclub attitude that doesn't peddle cheaply-made crap like most of the other tourist joints
- Guajillo's: where my Mexican friends eat Mexican food

Temple
- Megg's Cafe: one of my favorite restaurants in Texas, because it's so weird that such a craphole town has such a great bakery/restaurant with California-style cooking and spicing

Out in the Country
- Hill Top Cafe: an old gas station north of Fredericksburg, converted into a Greek-ish restaurant and blues venue. Great way to spend a Saturday night in the middle of nowhere
- 814 Bistro: a random dude in Comfort, TX is making pretty ravishing gourmet food that would go for $60/meal in Dallas, but it's $25, and it's for an audience of maybe 20 regulars. Makes no sense that this place exists
- Carbonero Rotisserie: whenever I pass through Huntsville, I try to stop at this El Salvadorean place for pupusas, yucca, and plantains
- Smolik's Smokehouse: if you find yourself being held hostage in Mathis, TX, by a deranged lunatic who will kill you if you don't bring him awesome BBQ sausage, good news: you will not die

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #59: May 12, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
In Austin my favorite restaurant is Manuel's in downtown.

Overall, best restaurant is Charlie's steakhouse in Orlando.  In this area, I mentioned season's 52 already.  Capital Grill is always a good experience.  Zefferili in Herndon is hard to beat for high-end Italian.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #60: May 12, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

I'd be interested in what you think of Rocklands BBQ and Grilling Company in Arlington, Houston-Nat, if you can make it there on your trip here later this year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #61: May 12, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
In Austin my favorite restaurant is Manuel's in downtown.

Overall, best restaurant is Charlie's steakhouse in Orlando.  In this area, I mentioned season's 52 already.  Capital Grill is always a good experience.  Zefferili in Herndon is hard to beat for high-end Italian.

Forgot about Charlies...tres good, indeed...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #62: May 12, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »
I'd be interested in what you think of Rocklands BBQ and Grilling Company in Arlington, Houston-Nat, if you can make it there on your trip here later this year.

If you really like BBQ, try sweatmans near charleston http://www.sweatmansbbq.com/ if you're ever in the area. It has two things that Texas BBQ lacks- pigs and vinegar

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #63: May 12, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
If you really like BBQ, try sweatmans near charleston http://www.sweatmansbbq.com/ if you're ever in the area. It has two things that Texas BBQ lacks- pigs and vinegar

Not THAT close to Charleston, but it IS fairly close to the way one would typically approach from the north, i.e. the 95 corridor.  Might have to give that a try.  But don't most BBQ places in SC feature mustard based BBQ as opposed to vinegar?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #64: May 12, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
Not THAT close to Charleston, but it IS fairly close to the way one would typically approach from the north, i.e. the 95 corridor.  Might have to give that a try.  But don't most BBQ places in SC feature mustard based BBQ as opposed to vinegar?
Vinegar is North Carolina, I believe (having had some great stuff in Raleigh a few months ago)

Oddly, Pecan Lodge's BBQ sauce in Dallas seems to be vinegar-based for any NC exiles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: May 12, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
Vinegar is North Carolina, I believe (having had some great stuff in Raleigh a few months ago)

Oddly, Pecan Lodge's BBQ sauce in Dallas seems to be vinegar-based for any NC exiles.

I have had good vinegar based in the Clemson area but yeah, I associate it typically with the low country NC.

Online imref

« Reply #66: May 12, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »

Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston.  http://www.jestineskitchen.com

Oh man, I can taste the coca cola cake now.

Online imref

« Reply #67: May 12, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
Forgot about Charlies...tres good, indeed...

it's the reason expense accounts were created.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #68: May 12, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston.  http://www.jestineskitchen.com

Oh man, I can taste the coca cola cake now.

Charleston is a target rich environment.   :az:

I go down for 1-2 weeks a year, inlaws live in Mount Pleasant (Old Village).  Most Mount Pleasant options are outside the village itself, but there is the Post House.   http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-village-post-house-mount-pleasant-2

Always make a trip (bicycling, sometimes) over to Sullivan's Island for a lunch at Poe's.  Edgar Allen Poe served in the army at Fort Moultrie, just across the street, hence the theme.

The Long Island Cafe at Isle of Palms is very nice as well.  None of these are top end but all have ambience or excellent value. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: May 12, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »

Mustard and vinegar are the two main ingredients. I'm partial to Sweatmans because I went to school with the owner's daughter (that and it's really good). It's not too far from Charleston (we lived a little further out and commuted in, so maybe exurb?)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #70: May 12, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Husk is one go-to destination restaurant in Charleston.  Overpriced and hard to get into but unique in their use of local, many rare historically important, ingredients.

http://www.huskrestaurant.com/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #71: May 12, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
Mustard and vinegar are the two main ingredients. I'm partial to Sweatmans because I went to school with the owner's daughter (that and it's really good). It's not too far from Charleston (we lived a little further out and commuted in, so maybe exurb?)

Oh, I'm not being critical.  I'm on that country BBQ theme big time.  But at least an hour out of town, right?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: May 12, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »
About an hour. Closer in is dukes bbc in ridgeville, they keep pretty random hours, but the food is good and cheap (occasional bbc venison during dear season)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #73: May 12, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »
About an hour. Closer in is dukes bbc in ridgeville, they keep pretty random hours, but the food is good and cheap (occasional bbc venison during dear season)

My wife loves the chain Melvins.  I think it's that 1 lb. onion ring that she really craves.   

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #74: May 12, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
How does Pecan Lodge compare to Hard Eight BBQ in Dallas? I have been to Hard8 but not Pecan Lodge yet.