Author Topic: Need to buy a grill  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Need to buy a grill
« Topic Start: April 24, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
Budget is $300

Need a propane grill. Figure since it's just my wife and I, and, at most, we'll have two little kids in this place, really only need 3 burners.

I'd love a Weber, but they seem expensive as hell.

If possible I'd like a rotisserie bar and a side burner, but it isn't essential.

Suggestions?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Need to buy a grill
« Reply #1: April 24, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
Budget is $300

Need a propane grill. Figure since it's just my wife and I, and, at most, we'll have two little kids in this place, really only need 3 burners.

If possible I'd like a rotisserie bar and a side burner, but it isn't essential.

Suggestions?

Have you checked out what's available at Costco?  Otherwise Lowes has a good selection.   I don't think brand is all that important, just get one that has the features that you want and that's in your price range.  And, keep it clean.  If you are going to splurge on any one feature, i'd recommend cast-iron grates.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: April 24, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Budget is $300

Suggestions?

for $300, don't bother with weber. If you can wait, home depot and lowes usually have huge sales around Memorial day. I'd just go as cheap as possible and look to upgrade down the road- with your budget, I doubt you'd really have enough space under the lid to use a rotisserie bar even if you could attach one (and the motors on the cheap ones suck pretty bad).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: April 24, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
If you are going to splurge on any one feature, i'd recommend cast-iron grates.

you can also get a thick cast iron insert to put on top of the grill http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8834-Gourmet-System-Grate/dp/B0044ERTDY/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429888199&sr=1-3&keywords=cast+iron+insert (I've seen similar, but much thicker versions at my local ace hardware) They are better than cast iron grates because they are thicker if you only want to do a steak or two and hold more heat and they're much cheaper than upgraded grates

Offline Slateman

« Reply #4: April 24, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Have you checked out what's available at Costco?  Otherwise Lowes has a good selection.   I don't think brand is all that important, just get one that has the features that you want and that's in your price range.  And, keep it clean.  If you are going to splurge on any one feature, i'd recommend cast-iron grates.

I vaguely remember checking Costco, but I could always go again.

Lowes only seems to have Weber and Charbroil (I think). I've heard nothing but bad things about them, including my BiL who owned one for a year before it basically caught on fire.

So the cast iron grate seems to be the one go to for grills.

This plus an eletric smoker is going to be my summer food as we're tearing down the kitchen.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: April 24, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
Costco has some decent gas grills (:hang:) but Weber is where it's at if you're going to debase yourself and use gas.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #6: April 24, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Costco has some decent gas grills (:hang:) but Weber is where it's at if you're going to debase yourself and use gas.
Gas is great. If I want my food to taste like smoke, I'll simply use the smoker.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: April 24, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
Gas is great. If I want my food to taste like smoke, I'll simply use the smoker.

You're also the same donk that thinks McDonalds is good...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: April 24, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
Charcoal tastes better, so does an open flame pit, that doesn't mean it's practical. Most kettle grills are lightweight and balanced on rickety tripods - not the best idea if you have kids. Then there's the clean up. Not to mention having to maintain a fire (especially if you plan on grilling more than one thing). Gas is just easy, turn a couple of dials, oil/clean after five minutes of heating up, if you need it to stay the same temp for hours no problem, if stuff is cooking too fast and you need to drop the temp, just turn a dial, need more heat, just turn a dial. Toss in clean up involving turning off and brushing down grates and you have something much easier for almost the same result

Offline Slateman

« Reply #9: April 24, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »
You're also the same donk that thinks McDonalds is good...
McDonalds breakfast is the crap

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: April 24, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
Budget is $300

Suggestions?

Our 3 burner Weber is turning 15 this year.  I've replaced the heat deflectors twice, but the cast iron grates need little maintenance and the original ignitor is still functional despite obvious corrosion.  They tend to heat more evenly than the cheapass grills, and the cost should be amortized over a longer life.  It's not all about initial cost, it's really more about total cost of ownership.  My experience is that the Weber gas grills are highly competitive but I admit I haven't shopped lately to know what's out there. I can tell you there are hardly any other 15 year old grills out there however.  And we use the crap out of it, and it sits outside in the weather year round.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #11: April 24, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
McDonalds breakfast makes one crap

Offline Slateman

« Reply #12: April 24, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
^so does all other food. Grow yourself a cast iron gullet.

Think I found a used Weber for  $300. Gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

Online imref

« Reply #13: April 24, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
Charcoal tastes better, so does an open flame pit, that doesn't mean it's practical. Most kettle grills are lightweight and balanced on rickety tripods - not the best idea if you have kids. Then there's the clean up. Not to mention having to maintain a fire (especially if you plan on grilling more than one thing). Gas is just easy, turn a couple of dials, oil/clean after five minutes of heating up, if you need it to stay the same temp for hours no problem, if stuff is cooking too fast and you need to drop the temp, just turn a dial, need more heat, just turn a dial. Toss in clean up involving turning off and brushing down grates and you have something much easier for almost the same result

I have a large charcoal grill that I bought at the old bbq galore chain about 12 years ago. Other than some rust it's doing fine.  I use a chimney starter with real lump charcoal to fire it up.  It takes about 20 minutes to get ready and will stay hot enough to cook on for a good hour or more.  The flavor from the charcoal can't be beat. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: April 24, 2015, 10:06:49 PM »
I have a large charcoal grill that I bought at the old bbq galore chain about 12 years ago. Other than some rust it's doing fine.  I use a chimney starter with real lump charcoal to fire it up.  It takes about 20 minutes to get ready and will stay hot enough to cook on for a good hour or more.  The flavor from the charcoal can't be beat. 

Right, I don't get the "hassle" these people are talking about. Charcoal can't be beat.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: April 24, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

If flavor is number one, you can't beat hardwood. My uncle's has one of these http://www.thegrillery.com/ and they blow charcoal away (of course for the price they should)

Online imref

« Reply #16: April 25, 2015, 12:28:07 AM »

If flavor is number one, you can't beat hardwood. My uncle's has one of these http://www.thegrillery.com/ and they blow charcoal away (of course for the price they should)

That looks awesome.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #17: April 25, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Yea, if I want flavor from wood, I'm just getting a barbecue smoker

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #18: April 25, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
Weber or bust.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #19: April 25, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
He doesn't want a charcoal grill. Do charcoal enthusiasts ever get tired of screaming about charcoal to people who don't care?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #20: April 25, 2015, 10:17:30 PM »
He doesn't want a charcoal grill. Do charcoal enthusiasts ever get tired of screaming about charcoal to people who don't care?

If you don't have the money for a decent gas grill buy a good charcoal grill. I don't see the utility in not spending the money now and getting a good grill versus buying disposable junk, but that's just me.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #21: April 25, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: April 25, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
Looks nice and it'll probably last forever

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: April 26, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »

Spreading god's word to the infidel

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #24: April 26, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
Spreading god's word to the infidel

Sanity.

:clap: