Author Topic: Danny Espinosa loves 2015 - at least half  (Read 12456 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Danny Espinosa loves 2015 - at least half
« Topic Start: April 17, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Bump, may need to adjust this thread title.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Nah, he started last year well too, we all know that didn't last. He's the nega-Desmond.

Offline Slateman

Nah, he started last year well too, we all know that didn't last. He's the nega-Desmond.

Last year he was bunting and it artifically inflated his numbers

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If anyone on this team gets a ped suspension it will be Danny.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Last year he was bunting and it artifically inflated his numbers

McLouth's were as well from a freakton of HBPs yet you seem to love him.

Offline Slateman

Re: Danny Espinosa loves April 2015
« Reply #5: April 17, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
McLouth's were as well from a freakton of HBPs yet you seem to love him.

Not sure what this means.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #6: April 17, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »
In 14 ABs, Danny Espinosa has a single, a double, and 2 home runs. He currently has the highest OBP, SLG, and OPS on the team.
 :popcorn: :cheers:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #7: April 17, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »
He'll slow down, but if his bat could rise even to the level of below average it would give the Nats a lot more flexibility in Rendon's rehab and in considering our middle infield next season.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #8: April 18, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »
I'm not falling for this one...but he's better than Uggla.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: April 18, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
April love is for the very young
Every star's a wishing star that shines for you
April love is all the seven wonders

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #10: April 18, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
Nope.  He still stinks. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: April 18, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
THE RESURRECTION IS REAL.  DON'T DOUBT DANNY.

Offline Optics

« Reply #12: April 18, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
If he just went back to being a 20/20 guy who hit around .250 and continued to play great defense, I'd be more than happy to start him at 2B everyday.

Or with Desi's continuing issues, start him at SS.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #13: April 18, 2015, 05:29:35 PM »
If Espinosa could cut his strikeouts to about 100 for a full season, take more walks, and hit about .250, he'd be useful. In his last two full seasons, he struck out 189 and 166 times...disaster.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #14: April 19, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
If he just went back to being a 20/20 guy who hit around .250 and continued to play great defense, I'd be more than happy to start him at 2B everyday.

Or with Desi's continuing issues, start him at SS.

Asking Danny to be what amounts to a 4+ WAR guy is really asking a lot.  I'd be happy if he was 1.5+ WAR batting .250 with 10 homers and 50 RBIs lol.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: April 19, 2015, 07:48:05 PM »
Anyone else notice that guys seem to be hogging balls away from Danny when he is at 3d?  Today, I thought Ramos grabbed a pop that was much easier for DE in front of the mound to the 3d base side, and RZ almost killed him on another pop.  Yesterday, I thought DE backed off on a pop to the outfield that Desi tried to play (unsuccessfully) at max range.  Maybe he's not moving aggressively for these balls as he should, but certainly the RZ crash was one where Danny was trying to make the play.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #16: April 19, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
Anyone else notice that guys seem to be hogging balls away from Danny when he is at 3d?  Today, I thought Ramos grabbed a pop that was much easier for DE in front of the mound to the 3d base side, and RZ almost killed him on another pop.  Yesterday, I thought DE backed off on a pop to the outfield that Desi tried to play (unsuccessfully) at max range.  Maybe he's not moving aggressively for these balls as he should, but certainly the RZ crash was one where Danny was trying to make the play.

He is clearly not comfortable at 3B. I saw him coming in on a swinging bunt today and instead of scooping it and throwing it one motion like most 3B would do, he planted and threw and the runner almost beat it out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: April 20, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
I'm trying to figure out where the sun is on those plays, but I'm wondering if Ramos and JZ took them with the sun at their backs.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #18: April 20, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
He is clearly not comfortable at 3B. I saw him coming in on a swinging bunt today and instead of scooping it and throwing it one motion like most 3B would do, he planted and threw and the runner almost beat it out.

1) It was an actual bunt, not a swinging bunt.
2) He gloved it because it was a bad bunt: too hard and to the third baseman's glove side.  You don't see people gloving bunts much because most bunts are near the line and aren't nearly that hard.
3) He barely got the guy because it was Cesar Hernandez, who is very very fast. 

At least you're right that he doesn't look comfortable, but it wasn't that play that showed it.  A lot of 3Bs would have played that exactly the same.  Other than that, excellent analysis.

I'm trying to figure out where the sun is on those plays, but I'm wondering if Ramos and JZ took them with the sun at their backs.

There wasn't really any sun yesterday, but it would not be behind the first base line anyway.

A bit, yeah, but how many games has he played there? I'd expect guys to take plays away from him when he's so new.  And for what it's worth, he made the best defensive play of the game yesterday on a foul pop up, an over the shoulder sliding catch against the stands from a full sprint.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #19: April 20, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
1) It was an actual bunt, not a swinging bunt.
2) He gloved it because it was a bad bunt: too hard and to the third baseman's glove side.  You don't see people gloving bunts much because most bunts are near the line and aren't nearly that hard.
3) He barely got the guy because it was Cesar Hernandez, who is very very fast. 

The fact he barely got the guy shows he should have scooped it and threw in one motion, IMO.

That over the head catch was amazing. I was sitting down the 3B line and it happened right in front of me.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #20: April 20, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
The fact he barely got the guy shows he should have scooped it and threw in one motion, IMO.

That over the head catch was amazing. I was sitting down the 3B line and it happened right in front of me.

Why would you ever barehand a ball (needing to adjust your feet awkwardly while charging to barehand a ball to your left, nonetheless) and throw it on the move when you can plant and throw and still get the guy?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: April 20, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
WEBGEMS (but really no valid reason)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: April 20, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
A bit, yeah, but how many games has he played there? I'd expect guys to take plays away from him when he's so new.  And for what it's worth, he made the best defensive play of the game yesterday on a foul pop up, an over the shoulder sliding catch against the stands from a full sprint.
Good points, EO.  Given how good of a defensive player he is (you are right about the foul pop), I'm probably more trusting of him making plays than some of the others taking plays from him, even if he's new there.  Along those lines, when people are cutting on Desi's D, I wonder whether he's trying to do too much, with new players around him that he does not know (Uggla, Escobar, and out-of-position Espinosa).

Offline Optics

« Reply #23: April 20, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
Asking Danny to be what amounts to a 4+ WAR guy is really asking a lot.  I'd be happy if he was 1.5+ WAR batting .250 with 10 homers and 50 RBIs lol.

Well in 2011 he put up 20 HRs, 17 SBs, and a .236 BA. In 2012 he put up 17/20 with .247. 20/20 .250 would be slight improvements from his two best years. Might be overly optimistic at this point, but its not like it'd be lightyears ahead of what he's done before.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #24: April 20, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
I wonder how much the swirling winds yesterday confused matters on popups.