Author Topic: Live Bald Eagle Nest Cam  (Read 11559 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Live Bald Eagle Nest Cam
« Reply #50: May 18, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »
So is this how y'all spend your work day?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #51: May 18, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
So is this how y'all spend your work day?

Work?   :shrug:

Offline wj73

« Reply #52: May 19, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
One of the peregrine falcon babies hatched!! 

Peregrine falcon cam: http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam

Offline wj73

« Reply #53: May 28, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »
The eaglets should be fledging any day now. Apparently it's a process and they will return to the nest for feeding, especially at first.   http://www.eveningsun.com/eagle/ci_28141534/codorus-cam-when-will-eaglets-leave-nest

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: May 28, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
Work?   :shrug:
Is this the retirement I have to look forward to?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #55: June 09, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »
Looks like somebody/thing flipped the camera.

Offline wj73

« Reply #56: June 09, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
From the website: UPDATE: We believe that the camera angle may have been shifted by eaglets branching on top of the camera. We won't approach the nest to attempt to rectify the camera angle and risk interfering with the nesting attempt. We expect the eaglets to fledge soon and still plan to turn the camera off around the end of June or early July.

And that's why eaglets can't have nice things. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #57: June 09, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
Looks like somebody/thing flipped the camera.

sure did, I can't figure out what the heck I'm looking at now :panic:
I went kayaking this past Sunday and started hearing all of this screeching, my husband pointed out a huge nest way up high in one of the trees and you could just barely see these grey heads bobbing and pecking at each other and just squawking SO loudly it sounded like they were flippin' pterodactyls up there :lol:  I was fascinated and just floated under the tree for awhile and got this pic, you can barely see a white head at the top of the tree I think that was the mama:

then right when I decided to paddle away another bird came out of the tree and flew right about me, it didn't seem like it was the same type of bird as the mama was so I thought maybe it was a predator bird and that's why the babies were carrying on the way they were? Maybe one had nothing to do with the other but it sure was neat  :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #58: June 09, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »
From the website: UPDATE: We believe that the camera angle may have been shifted by eaglets branching on top of the camera. We won't approach the nest to attempt to rectify the camera angle and risk interfering with the nesting attempt. We expect the eaglets to fledge soon and still plan to turn the camera off around the end of June or early July.

haha must be in their teenage years now :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #59: June 09, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »

Damn younger generation.     :old:

Offline blue911

« Reply #60: June 09, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »
Damn younger generation.     :old:

They probably could fix your monitor

Offline mitlen

« Reply #61: June 09, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all.   :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #62: June 09, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: June 10, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
Looks like herons of some sort. We have loads of 'night herons' around here - they nest along the rivers (including by the ballpark). 

I went kayaking this past Sunday and started hearing all of this screeching, my husband pointed out a huge nest way up high in one of the trees and you could just barely see these grey heads bobbing and pecking at each other and just squawking SO loudly it sounded like they were flippin' pterodactyls up there :lol:  I was fascinated and just floated under the tree for awhile and got this pic, you can barely see a white head at the top of the tree I think that was the mama:

(Image removed from quote.)

then right when I decided to paddle away another bird came out of the tree and flew right about me, it didn't seem like it was the same type of bird as the mama was so I thought maybe it was a predator bird and that's why the babies were carrying on the way they were? Maybe one had nothing to do with the other but it sure was neat  :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #64: June 10, 2015, 12:31:50 AM »
Looks like herons of some sort. We have loads of 'night herons' around here - they nest along the rivers (including by the ballpark). 

Yea I thought the mama looked like a heron but I wasn't sure about the other one, well whatever they were their babies were some kind of feisty and loud :lol:

Offline jensgt

« Reply #65: June 11, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Down in Cambridge is Blackwater Wildlife Refuge...never been there one time where I didn't see a Bald Eagle..plenty of juveniles and mature.  Great little place to go bird watching. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #66: June 28, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »
From the Pennsylvania Game website:

Bald Eagle Live Stream, Hanover

UPDATE: We have heard reports from folks on the ground that both eaglets have fledged and are being seen flying and perching in the area around the nest regularly. We expect to turn the live stream off in early July. We believe that the camera angle may have been shifted by eaglets branching on top of the camera. We won't approach the nest to attempt to rectify the camera angle and risk interfering with the nesting attempt. Thank you for your interest in this unique view of bald eagles in Pennsylvania.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #67: June 28, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »
Herons nest high in trees, so the nestlings could very well have been herons.

Offline wj73

« Reply #68: June 29, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »
From the Pennsylvania Game website:

Bald Eagle Live Stream, Hanover

UPDATE: We have heard reports from folks on the ground that both eaglets have fledged and are being seen flying and perching in the area around the nest regularly. We expect to turn the live stream off in early July. We believe that the camera angle may have been shifted by eaglets branching on top of the camera. We won't approach the nest to attempt to rectify the camera angle and risk interfering with the nesting attempt. Thank you for your interest in this unique view of bald eagles in Pennsylvania.

Our babies are all grown up and have left home.   :'(

And the peregrines nesting on the ledge on the Baltimore high rise building are fledging now.  The only babies left on nearby cams are the osprey couple.  Their eggs failed to hatch, but there were two osprey chicks who needed a foster home, so naturalists slipped the babies into the nest.  The osprey couple accepted them and are raising them as their own.  http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/osprey-cam

Offline wj73

« Reply #69: June 29, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
Down in Cambridge is Blackwater Wildlife Refuge...never been there one time where I didn't see a Bald Eagle..plenty of juveniles and mature.  Great little place to go bird watching.

Agreed - that place is a hidden gem.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: January 17, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »
Cameras have been re-installed.    2015 eggs in mid-February.    If new eagle eggs are coming, it may be soon:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=2185314&mode=2

Off Topic:   http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/giant-panda.cfm?cam=panda03

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #71: January 18, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »
That's really surprising.  In Florida, sure, but PA?  I guess penguins brood their eggs when it's like -40, so +5F ain't no great shakes.
2015 eggs in mid-February.    If new eagle eggs are coming, it may be soon:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=2185314&mode=2

Off Topic:   http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/giant-panda.cfm?cam=panda03

Offline mitlen

« Reply #72: January 18, 2016, 06:58:39 PM »
Bei Bei's up and about.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #73: February 04, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »
Eagles are back and starting to fix up the place.   

Offline wj73

« Reply #74: February 04, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
Eagles are back and starting to fix up the place.

They've added a second camera from the opposite side of the nest, which should make for even better viewing.