Author Topic: Live Bald Eagle Nest Cam  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Live Bald Eagle Nest Cam
« Reply #25: April 04, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
I don't think bald eagles have any natural predators - they are pretty much an apex species. I guess a snake might go for a chick, but that would be one very dead snake (plus they are probably still all balled up underground).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #26: April 04, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
On that website they show a raccoon invade the nest. The eagle didn't do much about it. Probably because it was dark

• babble on
« Reply #27: April 04, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
That's like a Mission Impossible raccoon  :shock: 

Offline wj73

« Reply #28: April 23, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »
Wow - the chicks have grown!  I didn't get a chance to check the nest for a week or so, and it looks like they doubled in size during that time!  They're much more active, too - learning to stand up and stretch out their wings.

They grow up so fast these days.   :D

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: April 23, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Wild  ...   I just looked at the site and was gonna bump this.   Great minds, I guess.    :)     Those little suckers are gettin' big.    They're spending lots of time alone.

Offline wj73

« Reply #30: April 23, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »
Great minds, I guess.    :)   

I guess seniors are all alike.  (I just moved into Leisure World last month.)  :oldy: :old:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #31: April 23, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
I guess seniors are all alike.  (I just moved into Leisure World last month.)  :oldy: :old:

Missus and I talk about "downsizing".    I wanna move to Belize (in my dreams).    :)   

Offline wj73

« Reply #32: April 23, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
Downsizing is not for the faint of heart, but it's a great feeling being freed from all that crap.  We must have taken 20 carloads of old crap to the transfer station, and another dozen or so carloads of decent stuff to the thrift shop to donate.  We don't have kids, so we didn't have the loophole of being able to foist the crap we didn't want on them.       

In my dreams I wanna run a beach bar on any small Caribbean island.   :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: April 23, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
Downsizing is not for the faint of heart, but it's a great feeling being freed from all that crap.  We must have taken 20 carloads of old crap to the transfer station, and another dozen or so carloads of decent stuff to the thrift shop to donate.  We don't have kids, so we didn't have the loophole of being able to foist the crap we didn't want on them.       

In my dreams I wanna run a beach bar on any small Caribbean island.   :mg:

Ever watch the "Tiny House" show?    Now that's downsizing.   When you get your bar, let us know.   I wanna sit at a beach bar on any small Caribbean Island puttin' down some kind of rum concoction.

Offline wj73

« Reply #34: April 30, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
Pennsylvania Game Commission tweet:
Uh oh! It looks like the eagle cam was hit by eagle waste. We're hopeful that rain will clear it. #HanoverEagletNews

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: April 30, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »

:hysterical:

Noticed the other day that one of the young'uns was backing up and pinching one off over the edge.    The feed looks like "something" hit the camera.     Sweet justice  ...   peekin' in on my nest will ya?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #36: April 30, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »

I just looked, seems like it might take more than rain to clean that sucker :( man what a bummer if we can't watch the eagles grow up anymore!

• babble on
« Reply #37: April 30, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
"When the crap hits the lens..."

Offline wj73

« Reply #38: May 06, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
Two more cams to enjoy since the eagle cam is still pretty fuzzy:

Osprey cam: http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/osprey-cam

Peregrine falcon cam: http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: May 07, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »
A little better in the morning sun.    Suckers are gettin' big.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: May 17, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
Looks like the rain cleared off some of the muck (at least in the center of the lens).    Those little birdies are gettin' big.    They gotta be ready to practice flying pretty soon (couple of weeks maybe?).     

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: May 18, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
Flappin' and testin' wings  ...

Offline wj73

« Reply #42: May 18, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
That rain did help clear the lens a lot.  They are HUGE now - they look like real birds.   :lol:  You're right - they're getting restless.  I wonder - when they finally fly, do they take off permanently or do they try flying but come back to the nest to sleep and rest?

The parents did a great job making sure that both babies got fed - that one baby in the beginning looked smaller and less developed than the other.  I was worried about him for the first couple of weeks because he didn't beg as aggressively for food as his sibling, but the parents always made sure he got his share. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: May 18, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
That rain did help clear the lens a lot.  They are HUGE now - they look like real birds.   :lol:  You're right - they're getting restless.  I wonder - when they finally fly, do they take off permanently or do they try flying but come back to the nest to sleep and rest?

The parents did a great job making sure that both babies got fed - that one baby in the beginning looked smaller and less developed than the other.  I was worried about him for the first couple of weeks because he didn't beg as aggressively for food as his sibling, but the parents always made sure he got his share. 

I've read more about eagles in the last two months than in the rest of my life.   :)

• babble on
« Reply #44: May 18, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
When do their heads turn white? I'd have thought those feathers would be out by now.

Offline wj73

« Reply #45: May 18, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
When do their heads turn white? I'd have thought those feathers would be out by now.

Not till they reach sexual maturity at 4-5 years old.  Their beaks won't turn all yellow till then either. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #46: May 18, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
Thanks to Mitlen and wj73 for imparting their eagle wisdom on us, really it's been fascinating watching cam and then reading your posts!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: May 18, 2015, 12:06:17 PM »
Thanks to Mitlen and wj73 for imparting their eagle wisdom on us, really it's been fascinating watching cam and then reading your posts!

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future
Into the future

I want to fly like an eagle
To the sea
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
Till I'm free

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #48: May 18, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
Into the future
Into the future

To the sea
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
Till I'm free

dodododo.... hahah still waiting for you to start the "music lyrics" gamethread :)

Offline PC

« Reply #49: May 18, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »
This got a mention on Silicon Valley last night.