Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 244332 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1326: February 11, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
A 14-foot wall along the Anacostia River in D.C.’s Navy Yard could potentially become a staple in the fast-growing neighborhood, Bloomberg reports. The Navy is considering whether to build a wall to protect against rising sea levels — a growing threat in Navy Yard and the D.C. region  ....

https://wtop.com/dc/2019/02/navy-considers-14-foot-wall-in-navy-yard-to-fight-rising-sea-levels/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1327: February 11, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
A 14-foot wall along the Anacostia River in D.C.’s Navy Yard could potentially become a staple in the fast-growing neighborhood, Bloomberg reports. The Navy is considering whether to build a wall to protect against rising sea levels — a growing threat in Navy Yard and the D.C. region  ....

https://wtop.com/dc/2019/02/navy-considers-14-foot-wall-in-navy-yard-to-fight-rising-sea-levels/
Valuable wall-building training.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1328: February 11, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »
Valuable wall-building training.

You're bad.    :lol:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1329: February 11, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
You're bad.    :lol:

Maryland will pay for it. :couch:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1330: February 12, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1331: February 12, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
If you click through, there's a map of flood zones in downtown DC.  Looks like Nats Park is above the 500 year (.2% annual) flood zone.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1332: February 12, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
If you click through, there's a map of flood zones in downtown DC.  Looks like Nats Park is above the 500 year (.2% annual) flood zone.

Mindfact  ...   Isn't the playing field below river level?    I thought I read something like this during construction of the Park.    I know it's below street level.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1333: February 12, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Dunno. What matters is whether they can block incoming water by shutting doors that are low so the 1st base side is effectively a flood wall.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1334: February 12, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Dunno. What matters is whether they can block incoming water by shutting doors that are low so the 1st base side is effectively a flood wall.

I'll investigate at the first home stand.    :)

OT     At least once a year at Nats' Park and anytime I hit an out of town stadium, I take a pre-game walk around the location.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1335: February 12, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
Unfortunately, a lot of the great views from the upper deck are now blocked by buildings that lack any redeeming architectural value.  I used to love going to the top of the ramps on the 1st base side and looking across the Anacostia, down to the confluence* and out towards DCA.  That, and being able to see the Capitol from a bunch of spots.  No go no more.

* not The Confluence.  There is only one The Confluence, which is in W. Pa.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1336: February 12, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
The architecture of the new construction around the ballpark generally runs from "meh" to full-on  :spaz:

The SS Half Street is awful - but not the worst.
Unfortunately, a lot of the great views from the upper deck are now blocked by buildings that lack any redeeming architectural value.  I used to love going to the top of the ramps on the 1st base side and looking across the Anacostia, down to the confluence* and out towards DCA.  That, and being able to see the Capitol from a bunch of spots.  No go no more.

* not The Confluence.  There is only one The Confluence, which is in W. Pa.

Offline machpost

« Reply #1337: February 13, 2019, 08:52:16 AM »
The architecture of the new construction around the ballpark generally runs from "meh" to full-on  :spaz:
I think that applies to nearly all new construction in DC these days.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1338: March 06, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
Update from the Nats on the new bag policy. Offering lockers and free cinch bags

Dear Nationals Fans –

Each passing day brings us closer to the excitement of Opening Day at Nationals Park. We are hard at work preparing to welcome you to the ballpark. One part of those preparations is a review of our policies and procedures. As you know, to enhance security at Nationals Park we announced a new bag policy for the 2019 season.

This wasn’t an easy decision for us to make. We strive to provide a ballpark experience that is as convenient as possible. At the same time, your safety and security is and will always be our top priority. We recognize that calling our nation’s capital home means having a heightened security awareness. When we consulted with MLB and our security team, they pointed out that we were the only professional open-air sports facility in the Washington, D.C. area still permitting backpacks. Ultimately, we decided eliminating backpacks was necessary to enhance security at the park.

We recognize this will present an inconvenience to some fans. We pride ourselves on offering a first-class fan experience. Part of our responsibility, then, is to ensure that when we make decisions that impact you directly, we also consider how to make the changes as seamless as possible. That’s why we are putting in place several measures to help you with the transition.

First, we have engaged with a local company to provide up to 1000 backpack storage lockers around the perimeter of the ballpark. Binbox will charge a nominal fee for access to a locker where you can store your backpack and its contents for the duration of the game. (Please note: the Washington Nationals are not receiving any money from this service.)

Additionally, we will have free Curly W cinch bags available at the Team Store in the weeks leading up to the start of the season on a first-come, first-served basis. Finally, if you are able to join us at Nationals Park for the exhibition game versus the New York Yankees on March 25th, you can take home a new Curly W cinch bag and use it at the ballpark all season.

We want to ensure that you are having a safe and enjoyable experience every time you visit us. We look forward to seeing you and your family at Nationals Park this year.

Go Nats!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1339: March 06, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Geez, those lockers sound real safe.  Put your unscreened "briefcase" in a locker, and then walk away.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1340: March 06, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Geez, those lockers sound real safe.  Put your unscreened "briefcase" in a locker, and then walk away.

I was honestly just thinking the very same thing...  :shock:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1342: March 25, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »
Rundown of Eats at Nats Park

There are 3 new oyster vendors. Chiko and DC empanadas are coming too which is a plus. Tiger Fork is there first month. Medium Rare also has a stand, which I find weird.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/03/21/whats-new-in-food-and-drink-at-nationals-park-for-the-2019-season/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1343: March 25, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
$28 for two Cokes and 1 piece of pizza.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1344: March 25, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
$28 for two Cokes and 1 piece of pizza.
They need to pay Harper. I mean Rendon. I mean....

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1345: March 25, 2019, 05:17:20 PM »
They need to pay Harper. I mean Rendon. I mean....

We bought the all-you-can-eat-and-drink package in Cincy for $20.00!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1346: March 25, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
There are beers in Nats Park that cost that much.

We bought the all-you-can-eat-and-drink package in Cincy for $20.00!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1347: March 25, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
Ballpark oysters.

It's not right.

Rundown of Eats at Nats Park

There are 3 new oyster vendors. Chiko and DC empanadas are coming too which is a plus. Tiger Fork is there first month. Medium Rare also has a stand, which I find weird.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/03/21/whats-new-in-food-and-drink-at-nationals-park-for-the-2019-season/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1348: March 25, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »

Ballpark oysters.

It's not right.

especially at a Rockies game.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1349: March 25, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »