Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 242203 times)

Offline Mattionals

Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #475: January 25, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Verizon is losing their cell tower closest to the ballpark and looking for space for short term and permanent replacements. Why not put up the tower on top of the Bud Light Loft? They could wrap it with a sign for whoever they get as the new naming sponsor for the ballpark and use it to hang the World Series banners.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2016/11/10/verizon-faces-significant-loss-of-cell-coverage-in.html

Sorry that I'm looking at this right now so many months later, but are you concerned with coverage outside the stadium? Nats park has a dedicated stadium DAS (Distributed Antenna System) that Verizon Wireless is on as is T-Mobile and AT&T. Don't know about Sprint.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #476: January 25, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
Sorry that I'm looking at this right now so many months later, but are you concerned with coverage outside the stadium? Nats park has a dedicated stadium DAS (Distributed Antenna System) that Verizon Wireless is on as is T-Mobile and AT&T. Don't know about Sprint.

Nats Park needs better service for Verizon. There are times that I can't even get a text message to send. I want to be able to run Sling box during the game for replays. I know this works on other networks so it is frustrating that my high priced Verizon service won't work.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #477: January 25, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
Nats Park needs better service for Verizon. There are times that I can't even get a text message to send. I want to be able to run Sling box during the game for replays. I know this works on other networks so it is frustrating that my high priced Verizon service won't work.

What phone do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #478: January 25, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
What phone do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Samsung Galaxy, whatever the newest model is.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #479: January 25, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Samsung Galaxy, whatever the newest model is.

Hmm, I bet when the stadium is empty it works fine. Stadiums are notoriously awful when trying to cover crowds of people with good cell coverage and, more importantly, capacity for them to actually use their devices. Adding a cell cite outside actually WORSENS this, and I doubt you were being served by that tower while sitting there. We have the same problem with CBP.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #480: January 25, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Hmm, I bet when the stadium is empty it works fine. Stadiums are notoriously awful when trying to cover crowds of people with good cell coverage and, more importantly, capacity for them to actually use their devices. Adding a cell cite outside actually WORSENS this, and I doubt you were being served by that tower while sitting there. We have the same problem with CBP.

Yep, fine with a small crowd. But with a big crowd I'll be sitting next to my buddy and he'll have no issues while I'm not getting any data. Having the tower in the park would help, the closer to the tower the better the service, although they need to ramp up the capacity during games.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #481: January 25, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
Yep, fine with a small crowd. But with a big crowd I'll be sitting next to my buddy and he'll have no issues while I'm not getting any data. Having the tower in the park would help, the closer to the tower the better the service, although they need to ramp up the capacity during games.

You can't just "ramp up" capacity during a game. Think of it like this. There is a pizza to provide slices to everyone. If there are four people, the pizza is divided four ways. Increase the number of people to 16, and the pizza is divided 16 ways. The cells at the stadium can handle a certain number of people, and they have tried to evenly distribute as many cells into the stadium as they can. When people start pouring in, the pizza slices get smaller and smaller, and also the amount of noise starts to rise. The more noise, the lower the signal to noise ratio, the worse your phone performs. Same thing happens when trying to jam as many cells as possible into a small area, eventually they all cause noise to each other.

Big crowds and heavy data volume suck.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #482: January 25, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
They announced that they are adding a crapload of wifi bandwidth, with access points in the top and bottom of every section plus the middle of the long sections in the concourse level. More people on wifi = less contention for 4G or whatever cellular bandwidth. Also you can get a texting app like textfree to text over wifi if you still can't get the 4G coverage.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #483: January 25, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
You can't just "ramp up" capacity during a game. Think of it like this. There is a pizza to provide slices to everyone. If there are four people, the pizza is divided four ways. Increase the number of people to 16, and the pizza is divided 16 ways. The cells at the stadium can handle a certain number of people, and they have tried to evenly distribute as many cells into the stadium as they can. When people start pouring in, the pizza slices get smaller and smaller, and also the amount of noise starts to rise. The more noise, the lower the signal to noise ratio, the worse your phone performs. Same thing happens when trying to jam as many cells as possible into a small area, eventually they all cause noise to each other.

Big crowds and heavy data volume suck.

That's what a das is designed for as you noted. They are pretty common at stadiums now.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #484: January 26, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
That's what a das is designed for as you noted. They are pretty common at stadiums now.

Common yes, but still not great performers when the stadium loads up. Ideally, you try and distribute the amount of people out with as many cells as possible, giving each user as many resources as possible. In a regular office building, the answer is easy because you can get the signal very close to the customers and use more cells and less power to achieve greater signal to noise ratio and happier customers with less loaded cells. Stadiums are difficult with where you are able to mount antennas so you need more power. More power with more cells increases the noise and is therefore, bad.

It's a struggle that is realty with daily in the wireless venue world.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #485: March 01, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
so what is this special event voucher thing they are offering to  Season Plan Holders?  These are for additional tickets to the 7 games or do you need to buy them to get the special thing (e.g., the brunch on Mothers Day)?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #486: March 01, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
so what is this special event voucher thing they are offering to  Season Plan Holders?  These are for additional tickets to the 7 games or do you need to buy them to get the special thing (e.g., the brunch on Mothers Day)?

These are to get the special "thing" on that day but they don't get you into the ballpark. Season ticket holders has been complaining that if they wanted to take part in stuff like Ladies Night, they had to buy a whole new special ticket at the special event price  and couldn't sit in their normal seats. So this let's you keep your normal seat but still take part in the special thing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #487: March 02, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
These are to get the special "thing" on that day but they don't get you into the ballpark. Season ticket holders has been complaining that if they wanted to take part in stuff like Ladies Night, they had to buy a whole new special ticket at the special event price  and couldn't sit in their normal seats. So this let's you keep your normal seat but still take part in the special thing.
Thanks.  So, things like the Easter Egg, the mother's day brunch, seniors stroll the bases, and the Yoga games are not part of the season ticket package and you have to buy them special in order to get them.  Do you have to  buy them all?  I'm not sure my whole group does yoga (but it'd be a laugh to see the ones who do ;) ) , but I may want to pick up a few of these things so the folks who eventually end up with those games get things like the Easter egg.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #488: March 02, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
Thanks.  So, things like the Easter Egg, the mother's day brunch, seniors stroll the bases, and the Yoga games are not part of the season ticket package and you have to buy them special in order to get them.  Do you have to  buy them all?  I'm not sure my whole group does yoga (but it'd be a laugh to see the ones who do ;) ) , but I may want to pick up a few of these things so the folks who eventually end up with those games get things like the Easter egg.

Nope, you can buy each event's vouchers individually and you don't even have to buy them all at the same time. I bought the vouchers for the Taste of the World and can go back into my account right now and buy more if I want (unlike postseason presales and stuff like that, where the option disappears from your account once it's used once). 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #489: March 02, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
The JR2017 code is working for Sunday - Thursday games, half off tickets. The other codes I tried are not working.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #490: March 02, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
The Nats will be participating in an MLB tie-in with Game of Thrones, probably in July.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/game-thrones-teams-major-league-baseball-cross-promotion-1202032766/

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #491: March 02, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
They're ready. The beard game is strong.

The Nats will be participating in an MLB tie-in with Game of Thrones, probably in July.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://deadline.com/2017/03/game-thrones-teams-major-league-baseball-cross-promotion-1202032766/

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #492: March 05, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Do they still do the Build a Screech workshop thing?

Anything else that would be fun for a 4 year old? He did well through half a game last year, I would like to stretch it with whatever weird kid stuff they currently have.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #493: March 05, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »

Anything else that would be fun for a 4 year old? He did well through half a game last year, I would like to stretch it with whatever weird kid stuff they currently have.

No build a screech, they still have the playground area and they added a carnival game where for a price you throw a ball to knock a cat off a shelf for prizes. Definitely join the kids club, that allows you to skip the long line to run the bases after the game. With my kids I always bring a ton of snack in with me so that I limit the amount of stuff I have to buy in the ballpark.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/fan_forum/jr-nats/

Online imref

« Reply #494: March 07, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
Noticed a few new establishments around the park - Bardo Brewing at the old concrete plant between the stadium and the river, and the Salt Line, Zimmermans new place across from the 1st base side

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #495: March 08, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »

Walking around the park (all the way) can be fun, great views from certain vantage points (like the ramps looking up and down the Anacostia) and you can stop at the highlight spots (like finding Tomterp on the emblem listing of all the lifetime season ticket holders  :lol:  )  Good exercise for energetic little fellows.

Online imref

« Reply #496: March 08, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Walking around the park (all the way) can be fun, great views from certain vantage points (like the ramps looking up and down the Anacostia) and you can stop at the highlight spots (like finding Tomterp on the emblem listing of all the lifetime season ticket holders  :lol:  )  Good exercise for energetic little fellows.

If you get seats that allow access to the NS Club, there's a really neat large train-themed active scoreboard on one wall that the kids will love.   the club is a nice break for the kids, especially on hot days.  The trains on the scoreboard move to indicate outs.  It sounds a loud whistle when there's a HR as well.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #497: March 08, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Want to be in a commercial for the Nats: http://www.talknats.com/2017/03/08/wanna-nats-star/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #498: March 08, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #499: March 08, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
This needs to be mitlen...

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste.     My rate is way above scale.    They can't afford me.   :)