Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67196 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: The Garage
« Reply #600: May 15, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
Seriously considered "3Kespi" for tags on my new-to-me ride, and likely would have gone with that if he was still on the Nats.

Went with mitlen's nickname for my forum persona instead.

Next...I gotta look for those blinkers Gburg mentioned...

:bow:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone approaches you.      I've had mine for 14 months and no one has said a word.    Of course, I've only put 500 miles on the car in that time.    :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #601: May 17, 2017, 04:11:21 PM »
I like it.

No one will approach him. It's a BMW. You stay as far away as possible so the driver attitude doesn't rub off on you.

:bow:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone approaches you.      I've had mine for 14 months and no one has said a word.    Of course, I've only put 500 miles on the car in that time.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #603: August 21, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
This was at Katie's coffee and cars a couple of weekends ago.   Yes, it drove in like this.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1740sc0GziLLK_duZ8WhEkBw4VrJ0FtHTeQ

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #604: August 21, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #606: August 21, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
That's been rumoured as a concept car for years.

Yes...from the article:  For years, Volkswagen has teased retro microbus concepts with no intent to put them into production. That changes today. VW just announced that it's actually, really, seriously going to put an all-electric microbus, the I.D. Buzz, into production in 2022. We know. We can't really believe it either.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #607: August 21, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »
24 hours of lemons, I remember hearing about this one

http://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/12913/a-sideways-vw-van-makes-a-surprisingly-good-race-car

:P

Could be the same car I guess.  Drew the biggest crowd on a day with a huge crowd and more cars than I've seen there before.  Probably 6 Cobras but Aspenbubba not there.    :roll:

Here's a video of that morning - the sideways van is at about 1 minute in.

Offline whytev

« Reply #608: August 22, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Yes...from the article:  For years, Volkswagen has teased retro microbus concepts with no intent to put them into production. That changes today. VW just announced that it's actually, really, seriously going to put an all-electric microbus, the I.D. Buzz, into production in 2022. We know. We can't really believe it either.

I'd buy it. But if I end up needing a van it will be sooner than that.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #609: September 05, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerist e I hate waitin' around for the garage to call.   And it's just routine stuff.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #610: September 05, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
:P

Could be the same car I guess.  Drew the biggest crowd on a day with a huge crowd and more cars than I've seen there before.  Probably 6 Cobras but Aspenbubba not there.    :roll:

Here's a video of that morning - the sideways van is at about 1 minute in.

I'm pretty sure I was there but arrived around 6:45 and had to park in Herndon:). I saw the VW bus and have pics of it. Let me know the next time you plan on going and we can meet up. I didn't go last Saturday but was there on 8/26 and probably 8/12.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #611: September 08, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
I completed the 2 day performance driving course at the BMW Performance Driving Center in Greer, SC today...

No mention of turn signals...

I got to drive much of their line, including their SAV's...some of them quite hard and fast.  The M2 remains my favorite...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #612: September 10, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
I completed the 2 day performance driving course at the BMW Performance Driving Center in Greer, SC today...

No mention of turn signals...

I got to drive much of their line, including their SAV's...some of them quite hard and fast.  The M2 remains my favorite...

You thinking of buying a BMW?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #613: September 10, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
You thinking of buying a BMW?

I bought an immaculate 2012 128i back in April.  Driving the hell out of it...

I really like the 2018 M2, but $60K+ for a hot rod ain't gonna happen...haven't got room in the driveway as it is...

Now, if I win the BMWCCA raffle...  :whistle:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #614: September 10, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
I had a 323i for a few years, sport suspension and 5 speed, that car rocked.  Paid $18k used for it with 61k miles, sold it 100k later for about $4k, but had put $21k in maintenance in it.    :-[

Terrible value once I added it all up, would have been much better paying $40k for a new one.

Offline whytev

« Reply #615: September 21, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »
File under: Vancouver is a playground for the super rich.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/trove-luxury-supercar-condos-richmond-vancouver

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #616: October 14, 2017, 05:19:34 AM »
Why do BMW drivers always want to race my Porsche? I also get a lot of "want to race?" looks from Tesla owners. I respect that the BMW is a good comprise car if you need to haul more than 2 passengers while offering a decent driving experience, but why try to race a car that you know will absolutely destroy you?

For those considering paying for a car corporation driving class, club track days (corvette, porsche, bmw, and other exotic car clubs) always have track days with experienced instructors and they are open to all drivers and cars as long as it passes their inspection rules so that they can keep prices down and it's almost always a better experience that the beginning schools that are run by car corporations. They typically want you to drive moderately fast, but not as fast as a regular track day in multiple vehicles in hopes that you will upgrade or buy another car from them. The advanced courses are much better, but the basic course for first timers is almost always more of an extended test drive that is designed to get you to spend more money. You will also meet fellow gearhead men and women from your area and sometimes from your neighboring state/city. For those who like to network their business, it's also great for that too.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #617: October 14, 2017, 08:31:49 AM »
Because, other than panamera and cayenne, there is no reason to get a Porsche other than speed so they assume you want to race? You aren’t paying 100k plus for their interiors or ride comfort or classic vw styling. Besides Tesla drivers know they can beat anyone off the line and some like to demonstrate that

Offline whytev

« Reply #618: October 14, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
Besides Tesla drivers know they can beat anyone off the line and some like to demonstrate that

100% this, but it’s a pretty lame secret weapon now that there are so many of them out there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #619: October 14, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
100% this, but it’s a pretty lame secret weapon now that there are so many of them out there.

However, like all American cars, if turning is involved, they suck

Offline whytev

« Reply #620: October 14, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »
However, like all American cars, if turning is involved, they suck

I’ve never had the pleasure, but I’m very much enjoying the switch to electricity.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #621: October 18, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
It’s a golf cart with a better engine. Rode in one yesterday and kept thing “this reminds me of the golf carts at Torrey Pines.”

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #622: October 18, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Why do BMW drivers always want to race my Porsche? I also get a lot of "want to race?" looks from Tesla owners. I respect that the BMW is a good comprise car if you need to haul more than 2 passengers while offering a decent driving experience, but why try to race a car that you know will absolutely destroy you?

For those considering paying for a car corporation driving class, club track days (corvette, porsche, bmw, and other exotic car clubs) always have track days with experienced instructors and they are open to all drivers and cars as long as it passes their inspection rules so that they can keep prices down and it's almost always a better experience that the beginning schools that are run by car corporations. They typically want you to drive moderately fast, but not as fast as a regular track day in multiple vehicles in hopes that you will upgrade or buy another car from them. The advanced courses are much better, but the basic course for first timers is almost always more of an extended test drive that is designed to get you to spend more money. You will also meet fellow gearhead men and women from your area and sometimes from your neighboring state/city. For those who like to network their business, it's also great for that too.

I believe aspenbubba has done some racing up at Summit Point, WV, a really easy drive from DC.  They do track days as well.

http://summitpoint-raceway.com/calendar/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #623: October 18, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
It’s a golf cart with a better engine. Rode in one yesterday and kept thing “this reminds me of the golf carts at Torrey Pines.”

Slightly better.

Tesla's Model S P100D is the fastest accelerating production car in the world, thanks to a Spaceballs-inspired software update. In a recent Motor Trend test, the Model S P100D hit 0-60 mph in 2.275507139 seconds using a new Easter egg mode called Ludicrous+. No production car has ever cracked 2.3 seconds during the magazine's testing, it said. That's faster than Tesla's original promise of 2.5 seconds, and faster than the 2.389 second time recorded by the Tesla Racing Channel in January.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/07/tesla-model-s-ludicrous-acceleration-record/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #624: October 18, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »
Slightly better.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/07/tesla-model-s-ludicrous-acceleration-record/

And if the course has curves? Dodge makes plenty of great 0-60 cars, it doesn’t meant they drive well