Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 115574 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #950: September 22, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
I remember in AIT at Ft. Polk we were taught the difference between the report of an AK-47 and an M-16.    As I watch the series, I find all aspects of it to be profoundly personal.    My experience during the war was different than most Vietnam era vets.    Denton's headstone at ANC was particularly touching.   During the telecast, I find my self floating off on some "trip"/reminiscence and missing parts of the telecast.    I'll probably have to watch the damn thing again.      I'm really glad they focus on a few vets and/or their families perspectives and the anti-war movement as well.   The tapes of LBJ and the cabal irritate the hell out of me.    One of the key moments so far was Neil Sheehan's comment about how it galled him when people questioned the courage, etc. of the combat soldiers/Marines in Vietnam.    He compares them favorably to the "Greatest Generation".     The term "Greatest Generation" galls me.    The "Greatest Generation" (Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, McNamara, Bundy, Rusk, Nixon, Taylor, Bunker, etc.) did this to my generation.    So I'd like to pump the brakes when we start talking about the "Greatest Generation".    They did good things and some   ...   not so good but I digress.       :)

My Dad served four years in Vietnam, three tours. One training pilots to fight and attack ground positions, one as a front line cargo delivery pilot (think bringing fresh ammo and food to troops on tiny dirt air strips hacked out of the jungle during the Linebacker 2 push), and lastly as a gunship pilot. He got a chance to go back to Vietnam about six months ago and was incredibly impressed with the country, they progress they'd made, and how much mutual respect he found with people of his approximate age.