Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 112693 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #950: August 26, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #951: August 26, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
Huh?

I guess we're down to Slate remindin' the old timers.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #952: August 26, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
I guess we're down to Slate remindin' the old timers.
Remind of what?

Offline Optics

« Reply #953: August 28, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Dat Game of Thrones season finale doe  :o

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #954: September 16, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
The Ken Burns Vietnam series starts September 17.
Bump.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #955: September 16, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Bump.

Thanks for that, setting my DVr right now

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #956: September 16, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks for that, setting my DVr right now

Probably will miss the first two. Hoping they replay it soon.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #957: September 16, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
Probably will miss the first two. Hoping they replay it soon.

Maybe they'll stream it online?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #958: September 16, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
Hope so.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #959: September 18, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
So I'm scrollin' through the news this morning and see there was an Emmy show last night.    I think the only program listed that I've ever seen is Saturday Night Live   ....   and that's rarely.     :shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #960: September 18, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
They are, but they often do limited runs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #961: September 18, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
So I forgot to set the DVR for tonight's episode of Vietnam.  Looks like they will be doing this nightly except Friday and Saturday.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #962: September 18, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
http://www.pbs.org/video/deja-vu-1858-1961-ucsq9s/

pbs being pbs, has no problem giving it to you for free almost immediately after airing

Offline mitlen

« Reply #963: September 18, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
So I forgot to set the DVR for tonight's episode of Vietnam.  Looks like they will be doing this nightly except Friday and Saturday.

Might not matter but it's a repeat at 2130.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #964: September 20, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
Watching the Vietnam series brought back memories. My older brothers all avoided the war for various reasons. High lottery number for one.  My one brother basically starved himself for a month so he would be underweight.

Draft was over by the time I was of age but always remember the memorial outside my high school. The school suffered the highest number of casualties of any non public school in the US. Very sad to think of all those young guys dead. Passed it every day for 4 years.

https://philadelphianeighborhoods.com/2011/02/10/mayfair-father-judge-honors-graduates-fallen-in-battle/

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #965: September 21, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
My uncle always jokes about his dumb ass strategy to get out of it- going to Annapolis. He figured it would be done by the time it was over, he was wrong

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #966: September 21, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
What I never understood was just how uncomfortable Johnson was with foreign policy when he became President.  He retained the Kennedy team (McNamara, Rusk, Bundy) to cover for it and seemed incapable of pushing back on his advisers. It was also revealing that he thought social welfare programs in South Vietnam (agriculture, health) could be part of the solution because he was familiar with those from his Great Society and from the New Deal. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #967: September 21, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
What I never understood was just how uncomfortable Johnson was with foreign policy when he became President.  He retained the Kennedy team (McNamara, Rusk, Bundy) to cover for it and seemed incapable of pushing back on his advisers. It was also revealing that he thought social welfare programs in South Vietnam (agriculture, health) could be part of the solution because he was familiar with those from his Great Society and from the New Deal.
Seems like they all had reservations but didn't know how to stop the build up. Seems classic group think.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #968: September 21, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
This looks like it could be "fun":

https://weta.org/press/bygone-dc

Different subject:

Watching the Vietnam series on PBS  ...   got me to thinking:    Approximately 30% of the males in my HS graduating class served in the military.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #969: September 21, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
They had something like that for Arlington that was really good

Offline mitlen

« Reply #970: September 21, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
They had something like that for Arlington that was really good

I vaguely remember seeing the Arlington show.     My niece moved to the Arlington area around 2006.    I had her lookin' at pictures of Ballston, Rosslyn, etc. from around 1970.    She couldn't believe it.   

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #971: September 21, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
I'm only two episodes in but this Vietnam documentary is fantastic but I've a feeling it's going to be tough to watch from here on out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #972: September 22, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm only two episodes in but this Vietnam documentary is fantastic but I've a feeling it's going to be tough to watch from here on out.

Heard a Ken Burns/Lynn Novick interview... he actually got the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Hendrix' estate to license the use of their music gratis. And everyone else fell in line. Also described how they retrofit many of the clips with sound, and that they engineered the sound from actual rifles and aircraft in use, so an M-16 sounded different from Russian supplied weapons.

I guess if you've got 10 years to put it together you can come up with great. Sounded like a labor of love.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #973: September 22, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
Heard a Ken Burns/Lynn Novick interview... he actually got the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Hendrix' estate to license the use of their music gratis. And everyone else fell in line. Also described how they retrofit many of the clips with sound, and that they engineered the sound from actual rifles and aircraft in use, so an M-16 sounded different from Russian supplied weapons.

I guess if you've got 10 years to put it together you can come up with great. Sounded like a labor of love.

I remember in AIT at Ft. Polk we were taught the difference between the report of an AK-47 and an M-16.    As I watch the series, I find all aspects of it to be profoundly personal.    My experience during the war was different than most Vietnam era vets.    Denton's headstone at ANC was particularly touching.   During the telecast, I find my self floating off on some "trip"/reminiscence and missing parts of the telecast.    I'll probably have to watch the damn thing again.      I'm really glad they focus on a few vets and/or their families perspectives, the Vietnamese and the anti-war movement as well.      Every story is unique.   The tapes of LBJ and his cabal irritate the hell out of me.    One of the attention getting /head shaking moments for me was Neil Sheehan's comment about how it galled him when people questioned the courage, etc. of the combat soldiers/Marines in Vietnam.    He compares them favorably to the "Greatest Generation".     The term "Greatest Generation" galls me.    The "Greatest Generation" (Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, McNamara, Bundy, Rusk, Nixon, Taylor, Bunker, etc.) did this to my generation.    So I'd like to pump the brakes when we start talking about the "Greatest Generation".    They did good things and some   ...   not so good but I digress.       :)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #974: September 22, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
I remember in AIT at Ft. Polk we were taught the difference between the report of an AK-47 and an M-16.    As I watch the series, I find all aspects of it to be profoundly personal.    My experience during the war was different than most Vietnam era vets.    Denton's headstone at ANC was particularly touching.   During the telecast, I find my self floating off on some "trip"/reminiscence and missing parts of the telecast.    I'll probably have to watch the damn thing again.      I'm really glad they focus on a few vets and/or their families perspectives and the anti-war movement as well.   The tapes of LBJ and the cabal irritate the hell out of me.    One of the key moments so far was Neil Sheehan's comment about how it galled him when people questioned the courage, etc. of the combat soldiers/Marines in Vietnam.    He compares them favorably to the "Greatest Generation".     The term "Greatest Generation" galls me.    The "Greatest Generation" (Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, McNamara, Bundy, Rusk, Nixon, Taylor, Bunker, etc.) did this to my generation.    So I'd like to pump the brakes when we start talking about the "Greatest Generation".    They did good things and some   ...   not so good but I digress.       :)

My Dad served four years in Vietnam, three tours. One training pilots to fight and attack ground positions, one as a front line cargo delivery pilot (think bringing fresh ammo and food to troops on tiny dirt air strips hacked out of the jungle during the Linebacker 2 push), and lastly as a gunship pilot. He got a chance to go back to Vietnam about six months ago and was incredibly impressed with the country, they progress they'd made, and how much mutual respect he found with people of his approximate age.