Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 112644 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1075: May 30, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
Thanks for posting.  This is a very upbeat song - about how to make life more positive.  Given the time period, it was a relief to the general momentum of society to try & remember people are basically good

CNN's 1968 special was good. First two episodes last night and the final two tonight. Will miss those due to the Caps game so will have to catch up later.

They have been playing this song.  Learned this a few years ago but took so long to master the parts that I was too tired in the end to put it all together. Will try and take that on as a summer project.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #1076: June 02, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
The Expanse, Killing Eve, and Atlanta are 3 shows I recently binged and enjoyed.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1077: June 02, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
The Americans finale was absolutely fantastic.

Offline Optics

« Reply #1078: June 03, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »
The Americans finale was absolutely fantastic.

Got that on the DVR, but been super busy so haven't been able to watch it yet. Probably will tonight before Westworld.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1079: June 03, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »

Sunday June 3, 2018 8:30pm-10:30pm on DC area PBS channel 32 (WHUT)
Saturday June 9 9:30pm-11:30pm on MD PBS 22 (WMPT)
Saturday June 9 10:00pm-midnight on  DC area PBS 32 (WHUT)

The Wrecking Crew is a 2008 American documentary film about the Los Angeles-based group of session musicians known as the Wrecking Crew, famed for having played on numerous hit recordings throughout the 1960s.

It's release was delayed until 2015, partly to obtain the rights to play clips from up to 110 songs. They played on records made by the Beach Boys, the Mamas & the Papas, The Byrds, the Monkees, Ike and Tina Turner, Glen Campbell, Jan and Dean, Righteous Brothers, the Ronettes, the Crystals, the Everly Brothers, the 5th Dimension, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Sonny & Cher, Jan and Dean, the Association, the Partridge Family, and Mason Williams' 1968 hit "Classical Gas", among others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_%28music%29

The film played for one night only at the AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, MD last month.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1080: June 04, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
I am recommending “Billions” on Showtime. It’s absolutely fantastic. The acting is great.  Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis are terrific. The supporting characters are also great. I LOVE Maggie Siff for instance. The writing is great. The story is great.  The show is just great. I highly, highly recommend it. It’s riveting and must see TV for me now. It’s my favorite show now that The Americans is gone.

Offline Optics

« Reply #1081: June 04, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »
The Americans finale was, indeed, fantastic, although I was kinda hoping Phillip or Elizabeth would die.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1082: June 04, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
I finally got into Shameless (the American version) earlier this year and got through the finale of season 6 last night.

Amazing show.  Great writing, acting, storylines, and just the right mix of realism and surrealism to keep things entertaining.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1083: June 04, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »
I finally got into Shameless (the American version) earlier this year and got through the finale of season 6 last night.

Amazing show.  Great writing, acting, storylines, and just the right mix of realism and surrealism to keep things entertaining.

I was hooked on that show. But gave up when Frank got the Liver transplant. Macy does a fantastic, fantastic job. But he did it too well. I hated Frank so much I couldn’t watch anymore...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1084: June 04, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
I was hooked on that show. But gave up when Frank got the Liver transplant. Macy does a fantastic, fantastic job. But he did it too well. I hated Frank so much I couldn’t watch anymore...

I didn't mind.  Frank is like a heel in wrestling.  Totally despicable, but he gives the show spice.  He's so absurdly full of crap that I can't help but laugh.

Now Debbie after season 3--she is very hard to tolerate for me.

But no matter what happens with any specific character, there's so much intrigue going on with everyone that nothing ever feels "ruined" by a frustrating subplot (e.g. Fiona's weird-ass first marriage).  That's what I like about the show.  Does a good job of weaving a lot of unique but somehow interesting storylines.  I feel like most modern dramas that try that usually have something weak in the lot, like when Dexter kept trying to make everyone care about Quinn, Batista, and Laguerta.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1085: July 15, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »

Watching the Doyers 1988 run to being World Series Champions...the Gibson walk-off year.

The Member's Only jackets...flashback...   :shock:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1086: July 23, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »
I am enjoying the hell out of Succession.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1087: July 23, 2018, 01:34:40 AM »
We are enjoying the hell out of CNN's series on different forms of Comedy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1088: July 23, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »
I don't normally post here, but there's supposed to be a great documentary on PBS at 9 tonight on Ted Williams as part of American Masters.  Two of the highlights are 8mm footage of Ted's last game that has not been previously publicly shown (a fan took the footage and caught pretty much every important shot from a clear, color perspective), and Joey Votto's interview about hitting. Votto's a huge Williams disciple and breaks down how he tries to emulate Williams.  Reviewed on Boston.com yesterday.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1089: August 02, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
If you have Netflix, Happy Valley is definitely worth a watch.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1090: August 06, 2018, 05:55:14 PM »
Better Call Saul season 4 premier is tonight.  :az:

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #1091: August 09, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
The Expanse, Killing Eve, and Atlanta are 3 shows I recently binged and enjoyed.

Atlanta is one of the best shows on TV now. Donald Glover; his brother, Stephen; and Hiro Murai are an absolute dream team. I'm excited for season 3.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1092: August 09, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Better Call Saul season 4 premier is tonight.  :az:

Broadcast? Not Netflix anymore?

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #1093: August 09, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
Broadcast? Not Netflix anymore?

The show is on AMC, so any new episodes will likely play on the broadcast.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1094: August 10, 2018, 12:16:53 AM »
Atlanta is one of the best shows on TV now. Donald Glover; his brother, Stephen; and Hiro Murai are an absolute dream team. I'm excited for season 3.

“Teddy Perkins” episode was so insanely brilliant I still think about it months later, just an incredible show.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #1095: August 10, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
“Teddy Perkins” episode was so insanely brilliant I still think about it months later, just an incredible show.

Totally. The barbershop episode was also really, really good. It's probably my favorite of the season, next to Teddy Perkins, of course.

I didn't know Donald Glover played Teddy initially. I don't think he's listed in the show's credits.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1096: August 10, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
Totally. The barbershop episode was also really, really good. It's probably my favorite of the season, next to Teddy Perkins, of course.

I didn't know Donald Glover played Teddy initially. I don't think he's listed in the show's credits.

I had no clue either! I went on twitter to see what people were saying about it and I was like no, no way that was Donald Glover-way! And yea the barbershop episode was great, and I loved how "Helen" showed what a prick Earn could be-just a fantastic show. 

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #1097: August 10, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
I had no clue either! I went on twitter to see what people were saying about it and I was like no, no way that was Donald Glover-way! And yea the barbershop episode was great, and I loved how "Helen" showed what a prick Earn could be-just a fantastic show.

Helen was definitely an interesting episode to show off a different side of Earn. I'm curious to know how Van and Earn's relationship will develop after the Europe tour. I'm sure Paper Boi will move up a notch in popularity after a series of good shows.

I'm hoping they do an episode, at least, in Europe. It would be great to see how the boys do over there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1098: August 18, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
Matt Groening’s new show is on Netflix - thing medieval futurama, but with family guy tossed in

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #1099: August 18, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
Matt Groening’s new show is on Netflix - thing medieval futurama, but with family guy tossed in

Oh, interesting. What's it called?