Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2015)  (Read 45907 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2015)
« Reply #850: December 17, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Flo's and Orlando's were the best pizza I ever ate.   Each place had one shop.    Nothing like 'em.    If I had to choose though, I'd go with the New Haven pizza over the Chicago pizza.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #851: December 21, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Sous Vide sounds like the gay French way of smoking meat

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #852: December 21, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
Without any of the smokey, carcinogenic goodness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Sous Vide sounds like the gay French way of smoking meat

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #853: December 22, 2015, 09:10:58 AM »
Another pioneer in sous-vide is Bruno Goussault, who further researched the effects of temperature on various foods and became well known for training top chefs in the method. As chief scientist of Alexandria, Virginia-based food manufacturer Cuisine Solutions, Goussault developed the parameters of cooking times and temperatures for various foods.[4]
IIRC, this is the remnants of Vie de France.  I used to stop for a drink at the one near L'Enfant when a friend was waiting for the train out to Manassas.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #854: December 22, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
Without any of the smokey, carcinogenic goodness.

Well, you're supposed to sizzle it hard at the end. I don't have a place to put a nice charcoal grill, so I'm not really gonna get that carcinogenic goodness anyway, sadly. But a good cast iron skillet comes close-ish.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #855: December 22, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
Well, you're supposed to sizzle it hard at the end. I don't have a place to put a nice charcoal grill, so I'm not really gonna get that carcinogenic goodness anyway, sadly. But a good cast iron skillet comes close-ish.

Lodge + heat == Yum!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #856: December 28, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
after using the Instant Pot Duo electric pressure cooker for about a month I strongly recommend it.  There are a ton of online resources including tips/recipes/etc, even an active Facebook community.  We've made a couple of chicken dishes (Adobo, Teriyaki, and Cacciatore, and a pork loin).  Frozen chicken breasts cook in about 20 minutes, the pork loin took about 15 (partially thawed.)   Next on the list are butter chicken, Pho, sauerbraten, and a whole fryer.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #857: December 29, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »
I bought one after your first testimonial.  It rocks. Did goulash tonight.
after using the Instant Pot Duo electric pressure cooker for about a month I strongly recommend it.  There are a ton of online resources including tips/recipes/etc, even an active Facebook community.  We've made a couple of chicken dishes (Adobo, Teriyaki, and Cacciatore, and a pork loin).  Frozen chicken breasts cook in about 20 minutes, the pork loin took about 15 (partially thawed.)   Next on the list are butter chicken, Pho, sauerbraten, and a whole fryer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #858: December 29, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
I've got to start cooking again.  It's tough for just myself, and with my trips to Boston, I don't like getting stuck with food in the fridge and dishes in the washer while I'm away, but I've gotten really bored with the places I normally hit and my weight is elevating.

Continued in 2016 thread here:
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33647.0