Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2015)  (Read 45427 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2015)
« Reply #125: February 24, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
 :hysterical:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: February 24, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »
thanks, definitely an upgrade over my current crap instant read

edit, I wonder if the sale is region/cookie based- it's showing as $96 still

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #127: February 24, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
:hysterical:

:shrug:

We eat a tonne of chicken and I hate when it's rubbery and would prefer not to get food poisoning.  For less than $100 I know when it's at the right temp and don't have to worry about "calibrating" the thermometer (something you have to do with the cheap ones).  But haters gonna hate. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #128: February 24, 2015, 09:55:37 AM »
If you're looking for a new meat thermometer Thermapens (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/) are going to be on sale (at least the green ones) the next couple of days.  Easily one of the best kitchen tools out there and a steal at less than $100.

But does it make smoothies?

• babble on
« Reply #129: February 24, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
A kitchen of distinction must be properly accessorised :P

I don't think I've ever used a meat thermometer for anything other than a giant Thanksgiving turkey (which was so ridiculous it may have actually been a small ostrich)

Offline blue911

« Reply #130: February 24, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
A kitchen of distinction must be properly accessorised :P

I don't think I've ever used a meat thermometer for anything other than a giant Thanksgiving turkey (which was so ridiculous it may have actually been a small ostrich)

I have a laser thermometer that's a great cat toy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #131: February 24, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »

Our house has a sweet gas stove so the Thermapen has been a big help adjusting to how meat cooks on it verses electric.  For some things you know when it's done and don't really need it (steaks for example) but for chicken and poultry it's a great tool to have.  Besides, a trip to the ER or urgent care for food poisoning costs at least $100 so this is cheap way to avoid that. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #132: February 24, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
they're great for pork loins where the difference between inedible, great, and shoe leather is pretty narrow

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #133: February 24, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »
Our house has a sweet gas stove so the Thermapen has been a big help adjusting to how meat cooks on it verses electric.  For some things you know when it's done and don't really need it (steaks for example) but for chicken and poultry it's a great tool to have.  Besides, a trip to the ER or urgent care for food poisoning costs at least $100 so this is cheap way to avoid that. 

i have a electric probe thermometer, the probe goes in the meet, the wire connects to the timer/temperature box.  I cook any kind of roast (including meatloaf) to temperature rather than time.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #135: February 24, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
i have a electric probe thermometer, the probe goes in the meet, the wire connects to the timer/temperature box.  I cook any kind of roast (including meatloaf) to temperature rather than time.

The Thermapen is similar except there are no wires, which is a big plus when you're grilling or have all six burners going on the stove and need reach one of the ones in the back.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #136: February 24, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
That's a great idea.  Bong hits soon to be legal in DC

Ought to try Jack Daniels in a bong.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #137: February 24, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
That's a great idea.  Bong hits soon to be legal in DC

I was watchin' NBC4 yesterday evening and Sherwood did a report on the new "law".    Vance damn near had a coronary.    "How's it gonna work?    You can't buy it or sell it, including seeds, but you can possess it.    How do you get it?"   I believe he may know.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #138: February 24, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
It's legal to grow (you have have up to six plants) and you can give adults up to two ounces as long as you don't charge. Seems like hippy paradise

Offline mitlen

« Reply #139: February 24, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
The "law" ought to reflect the way it was back in "the day".    Do what ever you like but don't flaunt it.    If you're caught smoking on the street, you have to field strip the joint and hand over what's in your possession.

• babble on
« Reply #140: February 24, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Can one vape up at the ballpark though?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #141: February 24, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
I remember "in the day".  Use to sell enough to supply my (and friends) needs for free.  Then in a moment of true stupidity, I offered a good friend of mine (who was on duty as a town police officer) a joint in the middle of a high school football game.  That's when I decided it was time to leave this fun behind.

The "law" ought to reflect the way it was back in "the day".    Do what ever you like but don't flaunt it.    If you're caught smoking on the street, you have to field strip the joint and hand over what's in your possession.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #142: February 24, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
Can one vape up at the ballpark though?

Sherwood said not in public places.   Plus, if you're on Federal land or federally patrolled property, you can get busted under Federal law.   That also got Vance's drawers in a knot.   :)

Online dracnal

« Reply #143: February 24, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
From what I understand, it's -really- easy to be on Federal land in DC and not realize it.  By all accounts, keep it at home and inside you're fine. Take it to the streets and you go to jail if you cross the wrong sidewalk.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #144: February 24, 2015, 03:44:49 PM »
random places like Dupont Circle and Logan circle are federal. Then again, how many park rangers do you see on random patches of grass?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #145: February 24, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »
From what I understand, it's -really- easy to be on Federal land in DC and not realize it.  By all accounts, keep it at home and inside you're fine. Take it to the streets and you go to jail if you cross the wrong sidewalk.

Sherwood gave an example of being on PA AVE, you're good.   Step onto the curb in front of the FBI, not so good.

Online dracnal

« Reply #146: February 24, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
There's also stuff like an unmarked building in the middle of say, Pennsylvania Ave. which is technically Federal.

And the reason I see it as something to worry about HalfSmokes? Because the Fed didn't want this to happen and DC said 'Screw you.' I expect them to be more vigilant in the surprise areas to make an example of people for news personalities to yell about.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #147: February 24, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
There's also stuff like an unmarked building in the middle of say, Pennsylvania Ave. which is technically Federal.

And the reason I see it as something to worry about HalfSmokes? Because the Fed didn't want this to happen and DC said 'Screw you.' I expect them to be more vigilant in the surprise areas to make an example of people for news personalities to yell about.

I'm gonna visit friends on Emerson ST and forget about it.   :)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #148: February 24, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
That sounds like a worst case scenario.  I think there will be a lot of flexibility, like what else is going on at the time.  If one is acting like an ass, the feds may pull their weight. 

Online dracnal

« Reply #149: February 24, 2015, 03:55:33 PM »
As a way to keep this on thread topic, I technically know how to convert 1/8th into 30mg of liquid which by all accounts gives an incredible full body experience that lasts for hours. (I'm not a user - just a cook)

Essentially it's a matter of grinding it, activating it in the oven, then boiling it in 151 (or Everclear if you can get it).  The alcohol bonds with the activated THC-a and serves as a delivery vehicle into your blood stream.