Author Topic: Curious: In what single year did your pro and college teams keep you happiest?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
It just occurs to me to ask because I don't ever recall having all of my teams enjoying the level of success they have for 2014-15.

2014 Marshall Thundering Herd football? Though it could have been even better had the team gotten to play a top 25 team along the way, it was nonetheless a return to national regard and one of the school's all-time best.

2014 Cowboys? A very good year that almost everyone agrees was a bad NFL rule away from being even better.

2014-15 Hawks? Soaring... I was certain we were underrated going into the season, but even I didn't expect them to be delivering the beat-downs to the Bulls, Cavs and Wizards et al that they have.

Baseball? Let's just say that this NL-Astros-lifer thought it couldn't get any better than going into a season with Richard/Niekro/Ryan/Forsch/Ruhle, and Andujar... and a bullpen anchored by Sambito/Smith/LaCorte. And actually, it probably can't. But even to sniff that as my NL Nats are doing is pretty unique and exciting. (Now, if the new commissioner will just agree to let the 2015 season be played on-paper, right?!?)

So... enough about me... back to my question... looking back on your life, and your teams, what was that single greatest year to be you as a fan?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Probably 2004.  Red Sox World Series, Pats Super Bowl at the start of the year, record for wins in a row, and then SB after the season.  Not a great year for Yale football and hockey, but BC had pretty good runs in hoops and football.

Offline NJ Ave

Probably this year. We have UVA basketball season tickets so that's been pretty special to go along with the Nats, Wizards and Caps success. Trying to decide whether to get UVA baseball season tickets as well.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
While still all in on Pittsburgh  ...   1979.    Steelers' Super Bowl and the Bucs World Series.   Bullets went to the finals.     I'm still a Steelers' fan but when the Bullets, Caps and Nats arrived in town were pretty good years as well.     It wasn't necessarily the great seasons at the start but it sure was nice to have the choice.

1983 was also a pretty good year.   Got to see the NFC Championship game and the Final Four.    Both times, the team I wanted to win did.

Offline houston-nat

Probably 2014. Nationals, Spurs, and a phenomenal World Cup.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
whatever year the Giants beat the Patriots to keep them from going unbeaten.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
One of the things I hate about the NFL is they call a championship played in Febraury the championship for the prior year.  Thus, the 2007 Champs won the superbowl played in 2008.  I guess this is to drive us to use the roman numerals for the games.

Offline mitlen

One of the things I hate about the NFL is they call a championship played in Febraury the championship for the prior year.  Thus, the 2007 Champs won the superbowl played in 2008.  I guess this is to drive us to use the roman numerals for the games.

Not for those of us whose first language is Latin.   :)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
 :hysterical:

I'm a DC sports fan born in 1988.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
2012. The year things finally got good.

Offline DPMOmaha

I've never had *all* my teams good at the same time. 2014 was the closest with the Nats going to the playoffs and Nebraska basketball going to the NCAA tournament for the first time since the late 90's. If NU football had a monster run, that'd have been the ultimate. Still waiting for that.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

:roll:

2004 was pretty sweet but I loved 2007.  Started with the Pats trading for Randy Moss at the draft, then a really fun baseball team that made me enjoy baseball more than I had in forever, then we got the Randy and Tom show all fall long, I loved the Pats' FU tour of the league that year  :mg: and yes I'm aware of how that ended but that was 2008, 2007 was so awesome though :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
'07 is in the running, too.  I'm trying to remember if Matty Ice was QB at BC that year.  Also, did the Big 3 get together that summer for the Celts?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Freaking JCA trolling us trying to choose between like 4 different years in the past decade.

Offline blue911

Freaking JCA trolling us trying to choose between like 4 different years in the past decade.

We know it was 1978.

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

It's the beantown victim thing.

Offline HalfSmokes

2003, my college made it to the 1aa championship game

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
1988 - I made my friends agree to do shots every time the Redskins scored a touchdown.  Doug Williams threw 4 touchdown passes in the 2nd quarter and we were all blitzed at halftime.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
'07 is in the running, too.  I'm trying to remember if Matty Ice was QB at BC that year.  Also, did the Big 3 get together that summer for the Celts?

Hmmm I think you're right, I'm not much into basketball but the following June I was at my son's college orientation when that crazy playoff game was on so yea, good memory JCA :thumbs:

It's the beantown victim thing.

:razz: when everyone hates your football it's nice to look back on the good times :(

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Sorry but I am a Matty Ice fan.  Actually, I should be sorry.

Offline mitlen

:razz: when everyone hates your football it's nice to look back on the good times :(

Don't I know it.    :)

Online Natsinpwc

Don't I know it.    :)
1980 was a good year.  Phillies won the World Series.  Eagles beat the Cowboys to make the Super Bowl which they of course lost.  Sixers and Flyers lost in their league finals. It's been many lean years rooting for DC and Philly teams.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
College?  This year they went .500.  Go Hiram Terriers

Pro? 
1978 Bullets
1983 Orioles

NATS?  2012. It didnt end up the way I wanted it to, but no one expected us to get that far.  Thats the way I like it too.  If you predict a WS win you can only be disappointed if you dont get there.  If you just take it one game at a time, youll get there.