Author Topic: AC/Heating and Plumbing  (Read 520 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
AC/Heating and Plumbing
« Topic Start: January 23, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
I live in Northern VA and have been using the same folks for 20 years.   I've run into some problems with them recently (unexplained charges, general feeling I'm being bs'd, etc.) and am thinking about finding a new group to work on problems around the house.   Any suggestions?

Offline dracnal

Re: AC/Heating and Plumbing
« Reply #1: January 23, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
I have not personally used them but have had friends say good things about ME Flow.  I rent and my landlord uses a friend of a friend to do the work.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 23, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
I use Frosties http://www.frostysinc.com/ I've never had a problem with them- they installed new water heater, and replaced everything but the duct work in our HVAC system- everything has worked well so far. For plumbing I use a local company and couldn't be happier with them, but unless you live near alexandria, probably not useful

Offline mitlen

« Reply #3: January 23, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
I use Frosties http://www.frostysinc.com/ I've never had a problem with them- they installed new water heater, and replaced everything but the duct work in our HVAC system- everything has worked well so far. For plumbing I use a local company and couldn't be happier with them, but unless you live near alexandria, probably not useful

I'm in Loudoun  ...   thanks HS.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #4: January 23, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »
For HVAC, we have been pleased with Delta Service Co. (703-550-5520). My parents have used them for at least 30 years now, and based on their recommendation I started using them when I moved into my house back in 2001. Very reliable and honest people. I like it that they call to tell you when the workman is on his way—that is, if you make an appointment for, say, Friday between 2:00 and 5:00, when the workman leaves to come to your house you will get a call saying "the man's on his way" (always in those words!).

Only downside is they do not take credit or debit cards. That was a potential issue for us last fall when we replaced our AC, furnace, and thermostat. But they do take those credit-card promotional checks. I had a fee-free check offer whose interest rate was lower than my card's standard rate, so we used that to pay for the work and then paid it off over three months.

For plumbing, we use the Irish Plumber (http://www.theirishplumber.com; the website has a coupon). I don't know whether he goes out to Loudoun County. We discovered him from an ad on the back of a church bulletin one Sunday morning when the disposal clogged and sent water fountaining all over the kitchen. The owner is indeed an Irishman with a great brogue. They've replaced our hot water heater and three toilets and they've always done good work. They do take credit cards, BTW (at least VISA and MasterCard, anyway...don't remember whether they take Amex, but I'm guessing not because I usually use it if it's accepted).

Edited to add: BTW, when we replaced the HVAC, Delta's estimate came in about $4,500 lower than Cropp Metcalfe's, and that's prior to the $1,025 mail-in rebate we got from Carrier. I was impressed with the guy from Cropp Metcalfe, but that sort of price difference is simply too much money to ignore!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: January 23, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
I live in Northern VA and have been using the same folks for 20 years.   I've run into some problems with them recently (unexplained charges, general feeling I'm being bs'd, etc.) and am thinking about finding a new group to work on problems around the house.   Any suggestions?

I have used Air-Right out of Manassas for several years and have been very happy with cost/quality of service.  http://www.air-right.com/

They've replaced our upstairs heat pump/air handler, and they do annual service on both it and our downstairs furnace/AC.  I recently got a quote from them to replace our hot water heater and it was in-line with what neighbors paid to other contractors.

I've also heard really good things about My Plumber.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #6: January 23, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
I'm in Loudoun  ...   thanks HS.

ME Flow is HQ'ed off Cardinal Park in Leesburg.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #7: January 23, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
ME Flow is HQ'ed off Cardinal Park in Leesburg.

Appreciate the follow-up   ....   appreciate all the comments.