Author Topic: Nationals and Max Scherzer agree on 7 year deal  (Read 49019 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Good morning. I hope you had a good sleep last night. Hopefully you did and you can appreciate the fact the Nats pulled off the FA signing of the year which gives us the best starting rotation in baseball and then you can quit chasing your tail with BiL. This is a game changer for the Nats, the NL East, the Nats fans, and the Zimmn and Fister contract negotiation strategies with the Nats.

Well, I don't know all about that, but here's what I think:  Old man Lerner got fleeced by the Master, again, and the Nationals are not one step closer to that World Series ring they seek than they were this time yesterday.

Offline Mr Clean

Rizzo will soon settle all family business.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Joel Sherman tweets:

@Joelsherman1: Early word I am hearing is #Nationals plan is to keep Zimmermann, have super rotation and go for it in 2015

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
SEVEN years ?!?  Boras owns the Nats.

Is Boras Jewish?  I'm wondering how to explain the affinity he and Lerner have for each other.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Bang bang

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
VARK - why are you so negative ?

Well, I don't know all about that, but here's what I think:  Old man Lerner got fleeced by the Master, again, and the Nationals are not one step closer to that World Series ring they seek than they were this time yesterday.

Offline Mr Clean

The offseason was boring for a while.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Unless he can hit who gives a sheeeit.  The Nats have become the FORESKINZ - off season Champs.

Offline Bloo

It comes down to if the Nats want to keep JZ for another season and take the two compensation picks or sift through other teams's system to find desirable and more MLB ready prospects. Keeping Zimm around for one more season would create ackwardness in the clubhouse because it would be in the back of everyone's mind that he would be leaving at season's end. However, Zimmermann looks to have reached the peak of career and may put up better numbers than even Scherzer.

With the Nats withdrawing their first round pick in order to acquire Scherzer, it'd be beneficial to go into the 2016 draft to make up for the lost picks from Type A signings. It'll be bittersweet for Zimmermann knowing he'll be playing his last season here, but it'll make the opportunity more compelling knowing when the window is going to be closed. Ditto Desmond.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
This clearly makes us a better team next year and for several years, surprised by the reactions.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

So are you saying that Max is not better than the 5th starter that they will drop if they don't trade anyone?

Or they won't be better if they trade their extra starter and get some assets in return?

Offline Baseball is Life

This clearly makes us a better team next year and for several years, surprised by the reactions.
I'm trying to understand the negative reactions and I think they can be grouped int two categories:

1) Some people are in love with the quaint notion of winning with homegrown players and not spending to show you can win without spending.

2) Some people think this will hinder the team's ability to sign other quality pieces but they forget that there's no salary cap and this is a big market team with a very wealthy owner.

Offline Baseball is Life

How do you establish what fair market value is without going out and seeing what offers you get in the free market?

That's the point correct?

You get it. And take it one step further, once going out on the market to get the top offer, how is that in any way indicating that you want to stay, despite what you've said all along?

Offline Natsinpwc

The last time a team went with four aces it did not work in the playoffs because of lack of hitting at that time.  Team will still need to score runs. As you may recall Kershaw has not won in the playoffs either.

I tend to think there will still be a trade and the latest rumor about keeping them all is just smoke to get better offers

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm trying to understand the negative reactions and I think they can be grouped int two categories:

1) Some people are in love with the quaint notion of winning with homegrown players and not spending to show you can win without spending.

2) Some people think this will hinder the team's ability to sign other quality pieces but they forget that there's no salary cap and this is a big market team with a very wealthy owner.
And they can keep increasing your ticket prices as much as you will suffer.

Offline NatsinFla

• Jupiter
I like it.....I mean how can you not?  This guy has been an absolute stud for years and will probably be for atleast a few more.  Not in LOVE with the 7 years......I mean we are going to be paying this guy BIG bucks late into his 30's and as you've seen from signings around the league this has not boded well for position players or pitchers.

I think this sets us up very good in the short term, but im a bit worried about our clubhouse chemistry which was fantastic as well as how the deal is going to shape up on the back end of it.

We just signed one of the top pitchers in the game.......it surely isnt the terrible thing some are making it out to be.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Wow, what a way to start my day.    Can't wait for the other shoe to drop.

Offline Rasta

Folks need to see the rest of the offseason before making sweeping generalizations about this signing. It may end up being a great signing or a terrible one. We won't know for many years and until all the other moves have been made. Rizzo isn't done.

The overreactions on both sides are kind of funny. I love JZimm as much as anyone and would love to have seen him signed long term. We don't know all the details and all the speculation on both sides could be completely off base.

Maybe Rizzo signs JZimm long term next offseason and Stras gets dealt. Maybe he trades JZimm next week and gets a great haul for him. There are just so many possibilities.

Why overreact at this point?

Offline Rasta

And again, it may not be 7 years in reality. There may be an opt out clause at year 3, 4 or 5. If he pitches well, he may opt out and we get several great years and then lose him.

If it's a true 7 year deal then we all know that the last 2 to 3 years at a minimum will be a significant overpay. That's possible with JZimm who will be 29 in his FA year. Any deal with JZimm right now would be at least 8 years or more. You have to buy out his FA year.

Offline sph274

we should trade stras for mookie betts. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

3) Pitching was not this team's problem last year, nor the year before. Hitting was. Specifically situational hitting with a high strikeout lineup.

Offline Natsinpwc

we should trade stras for mookie betts.
That would be nice.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Six man rotation.  Ever pitcher goes seven innings

Offline Natsinpwc

3) Pitching was not this team's problem last year, nor the year before. Hitting was. Specifically situational hitting with a high strikeout lineup.
Correct. I have no problem with the signing if they can flip one of the pitchers for a young hitter. Also let's remember we are not clear who our set up guy is yet and have a closer who has not done that for an entire year yet and has  history if meltdowns in the playoffs.