Author Topic: Job search 2016!!!  (Read 20330 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Job search 2015
« Reply #150: February 13, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
I think we had some very tangential professional crossing of paths with #4. That was a good company with an interesting product as I recall, so gobble gobble, big fish eats little fish.

Very, very few startup pharma companies are able to take an in-house idea through all the way through FDA approval to launch.  But in the 10+ years of elapsed time, the market changed.  It was a good run while it lasted.  And the group that bought us threw $100m down the toilet, couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of scoundrels.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #151: February 13, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
No mention of your professional pitching career?   :shrug:

:-[

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #152: February 17, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
I have an interview with Arlington County

Couldn't buy an interview last year when I hated my company. Now that I have a company/job I like, everybody wants a piece of Slate :lol:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #153: February 17, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
What sort of work would you do for the county ?

I have an interview with Arlington County

Couldn't buy an interview last year when I hated my company. Now that I have a company/job I like, everybody wants a piece of Slate :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #154: February 17, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »

He would be assigned to keep Mike Green from entering the Kettler Capitals Ice Complex...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #155: February 17, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

he could tell you but he'd have to shoot you, and he has the guns to do it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #156: February 17, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
He could deputise you so someone could be at each entrance.
He would be assigned to keep Mike Green from entering the Kettler Capitals Ice Complex...

Online Slateman

« Reply #157: May 22, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
So, couple notes, if you're interested in a policy/planning position with Booz on a FEMA contract, send me a PM. Have a friend who is looking for resumes.

Oh and today I pretty much knocked a grandslam through the uprights. Had to write a cyber scenario focusing on ICS/SCADA/malware and such. Had ZERO input from the stakeholder because their IT was on vacation. So I wrote it. My other team members seemed skeptical about what I wrote.

Conference call today, the IT guys and cyber exercise guy were all like, this is good, just what we're looking for.

Yea baby

Online Slateman

« Reply #158: July 16, 2015, 07:59:51 AM »
So how soon is too soon to go getting a new job? Nothing wrong with the current one, but a friend of mine, unbeknownst to me, spread my resume around. I got a call looking to set up an interview for tomorrow. I said yes because I didn't want to make my friend look bad.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure it will look too great jumping to a new job after ~6 months. Is that too soon?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: July 16, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
I/M/O, but they reached out to you, so they probably can live with the job-jumping.  If you then hang there for a good period of time (I don't know what that is nowadays in the private sector), then I don't see the harm with talking.  But then, I've had my job for more than 20 years and have only switched divisions within the company twice.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #160: July 16, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
So how soon is too soon to go getting a new job? Nothing wrong with the current one, but a friend of mine, unbeknownst to me, spread my resume around. I got a call looking to set up an interview for tomorrow. I said yes because I didn't want to make my friend look bad.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure it will look too great jumping to a new job after ~6 months. Is that too soon?
In the old days I would say it is too soon. But nowadays who knows.

What would you tell prospective enployers about why you are looking and why they shouldn't worry about you leaving them quickly also?

Online Slateman

« Reply #161: July 16, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
In the old days I would say it is too soon. But nowadays who knows.

What would you tell prospective enployers about why you are looking and why they shouldn't worry about you leaving them quickly also?
No idea.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #162: July 16, 2015, 09:27:17 AM »
No idea.
You could tell them as you noted that you did as a favor for your friend and figured it never hurts to network. And even if things don't work out you never know down the road.

Online Slateman

« Reply #163: July 16, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
That's probably what I'm going to go with. I would like to see what other opportunities exist within the exercise world and it would be nice to get a different perspective on it.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #164: July 16, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »
That's probably what I'm going to go with. I would like to see what other opportunities exist within the exercise world and it would be nice to get a different perspective on it.
Makes sense.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #165: July 17, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »
How many companies these days will actually enforce a non-compete clause? Because I have signed one and have been approached by another company that does similar work for our existing client.... Is it really worth it to get lawyers involved, etc?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #166: July 17, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
I suspect it depends on the industry. I know in the IT world, if you sign a non-compete, move to a new job and your old clients mysteriously start changing company, you're likely to get a knock on the door from someone serving something.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #167: July 17, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
How many companies these days will actually enforce a non-compete clause? Because I have signed one and have been approached by another company that does similar work for our existing client.... Is it really worth it to get lawyers involved, etc?

If it's general management consulting I wouldn't worry about it.  If it's anything related to finance (including insurance) and you're not in California I'd take a long hard look at the NCC and see what the scope of that entails.  Years ago I almost went to work for Epic in Madison, Wisconsin doing software development but the NCC and NDA they required was iron tight and pretty much kept you out of any health care software related development positions for 24 months.  Obviously, that didn't stop you from working as a consultant on implementations (~$80K plus bonuses) but you were pretty much screwed from doing development ($130K plus bonuses) unless you were willing to work outside of the US (~$60K and contract based). 

That it's similar work for an existing client does not bode well for you.  At my last employer if you were even considering being part of a team with another contractor for contingent awards (i.e. you were planning to jump ship to another sub) you were automatically released with no severance.  If it was a rebadge situation that didn't apply but in cases where you were getting in bed with the competitor you were toast.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #168: July 17, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »

About 1/2 of our caseload is suing to enforce non-competes and the clients vary from medical to technology to construction to all sort of things, companies (in Florida at least) do not fool around about non-competes. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #169: July 17, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
I suspect it depends on the industry. I know in the IT world, if you sign a non-compete, move to a new job and your old clients mysteriously start changing company, you're likely to get a knock on the door from someone serving something.
This. Plus if you actually take money away from them.

Interview went fine, but it was obvious that I was not quite the person they were looking for. Strange doing a job interview when I don't feel like I "need" a new job.

Online Slateman

« Reply #170: November 06, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Anyone want to look at a resume for a federal direct hire position for me?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #171: November 06, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
You probably want a Fed, right?

Online Slateman

« Reply #172: November 06, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »
Eh, sure, why not.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173: November 07, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
You probably want a Fed, right?
you can probably find someone better than me.  I don't do hiring and I have not looked at a resume in years.  But PM me if you just want another set of eyes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #174: November 07, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
I'm not, I work for a major contractor, but I'd be happy to look at it if you PM me.
Eh, sure, why not.