Author Topic: Job search 2016!!!  (Read 20432 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Job search 2015
« Reply #50: January 12, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »
Beer and guns. What could possibly go wrong...

I end up buying more guns :(

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #51: January 12, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
I just came back from an interview. Man, I wish I had some way of assessing how well it went. I have no idea whatsoever.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #52: January 12, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
ditto
I just came back from an interview. Man, I wish I had some way of assessing how well it went. I have no idea whatsoever.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #53: January 12, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

Doesn't everyone?  That whole aspect just amplifies the brutality of interviewing.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #54: January 12, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Doesn't everyone?  That whole aspect just amplifies the brutality of interviewing.

Well, sometimes you have either an overall positive or negative feeling. I just have no clue whatsoever and no basis for a feeling either way. The job is in an ideal location, I'd like the opportunity, and they have quite a few openings, but I have no clue what sort of impression I made.

Online Slateman

« Reply #55: January 12, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
Honestly, this is the first interview I've had that I felt good about afterwards that I actually got the job.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #56: January 12, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
WHO HOOOOOOOOO got the offer letter :lol:

Congrats man!  I felt awesome when I got my new job last year.  I gloated with my friends about how much I hated my last job but never did gloat to my old co-workers or bosses.  Then again, now I am the one to hire my old company and I don't, so I guess I do get the last laugh after all.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #57: January 12, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
Of course you had an advantage over most job searchers, in that you had the position

Honestly, this is the first interview I've had that I felt good about afterwards that I actually got the job.

Online Slateman

« Reply #58: January 12, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
Of course you had an advantage over most job searchers, in that you had the position

True. But what I'm saying is that I've interviewed and thought it was meh, and got the job. Likewise, I've thought an interview went really well and not even been given a call back

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #59: January 12, 2015, 08:08:41 PM »
I meant that in terms of knowing more of what the employer was looking for and having more insight about if the interview went well.

True. But what I'm saying is that I've interviewed and thought it was meh, and got the job. Likewise, I've thought an interview went really well and not even been given a call back

Online Slateman

« Reply #60: January 12, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
I meant that in terms of knowing more of what the employer was looking for and having more insight about if the interview went well.

Very true. Honestly, I was pretty confident after he asked me why I wanted to come back to the contract and the answer made him laugh.

Online Slateman

« Reply #61: January 13, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
So, update. I called HR yesterday afternoon and asked about company policy regarding employees being required to take PTO and LWOP. Both the HR rep and her supervisor stated that the company cannot do that, but that not doing so may be reflected in my evaluation.

This afternoon, I received a call from HR offering me a severance package (two weeks pay) in exchange for an agreement that basically prohibits me from suiing for lost salary and damages. I am inclined to accept this and go quietly.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #62: January 13, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
You sue, you pay for an attorney out of pocket. And probably they win. I'd take the pay.

So, update. I called HR yesterday afternoon and asked about company policy regarding employees being required to take PTO and LWOP. Both the HR rep and her supervisor stated that the company cannot do that, but that not doing so may be reflected in my evaluation.

This afternoon, I received a call from HR offering me a severance package (two weeks pay) in exchange for an agreement that basically prohibits me from suiing for lost salary and damages. I am inclined to accept this and go quietly.

Online Slateman

« Reply #63: January 13, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
Also, what the hell is COBRA?  Apparently I have to pick up the full cost of the premium plus 2 percent. Seeing as how I'm going to be picking up insurance with my new company, seems like a waste. How long can I go without health insurance before I get penalized?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #64: January 13, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
Also, what the hell is COBRA?  Apparently I have to pick up the full cost of the premium plus 2 percent. Seeing as how I'm going to be picking up insurance with my new company, seems like a waste. How long can I go without health insurance before I get penalized?

it's a program that allows you to buy your existing insurance for a period of time, you pay your part, as well as any part your employer may have paid.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #65: January 13, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
Its expensive as crap!  Not sure with the affordable Care Act offers better options or not

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #66: January 13, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
Its expensive as crap!  Not sure with the affordable Care Act offers better options or not

it really depends.  For what me and my employer are paying for our group policy, I could do better on the exchanges, but so long as my employer is paying half the bill I'll stick with what they provide.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #67: January 13, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
When I got downsized before the act was passed.  I couldnt get a cheaper insurance because everything I needed a doctor for was a preexisting condition

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #68: January 13, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
I am inclined to accept this and go quietly.

Slam dunk...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #69: January 13, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »

Unless they let you join the new health care plan immediately,, take the COBRA...you do not want a lapse in coverage.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #70: January 13, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
The new employer should be able to sign up that 1st week

Unless they let you join the new health care plan immediately,, take the COBRA...you do not want a lapse in coverage.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #71: January 13, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
The new employer should be able to sign up that 1st week

My last job had a 2 month wait period before you could join.

Online dracnal

« Reply #72: January 15, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »
A quick search shows these are the non-financial reasons you can be without insurance and not be penalized by the IRS:

• You are between jobs and without insurance for up to three months.
• It contradicts your religious beliefs.
• You are an undocumented immigrant.
• You are a member of an Indian tribe.
• You are in jail.

Looks like number one covers your situation very specifically.  Since cost of care is based on age bracket now instead of pre-existing conditions, I wouldn't worry about a lapse for that reason. However, there's always the standard question of 'But what if something really, really bad happens?'  The short answer is you rack up insanely huge medical bills that you pay 5$ a month on for the rest of your life.

Online dracnal

« Reply #73: January 15, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
To add a quick follow up note:
There's a two week gap between signing up and being covered so really you'd have about 2.5 months to get insured to avoid any chance of penalty.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #74: January 15, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
A quick search shows these are the non-financial reasons you can be without insurance and not be penalized by the IRS:

• You are between jobs and without insurance for up to three months.
• It contradicts your religious beliefs.
• You are an undocumented immigrant.
• You are a member of an Indian tribe.
• You are in jail.

Looks like number one covers your situation very specifically.  Since cost of care is based on age bracket now instead of pre-existing conditions, I wouldn't worry about a lapse for that reason. However, there's always the standard question of 'But what if something really, really bad happens?'  The short answer is you rack up insanely huge medical bills that you pay 5$ a month on for the rest of your life.

So Werth will be able to opt out here shortly...

Interesting...we still pay for illegal alien health care...