Author Topic: Job search 2016!!!  (Read 16014 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Job search 2015
« Reply #75: January 15, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
Undocumented immigrants don't file 1040s.  Hard for the IRS to penalize them.

Online varoadking

« Reply #76: January 15, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
Undocumented immigrants don't file 1040s.  Hard for the IRS to penalize them.

I get it...but easy to reward them, apparently...

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #77: January 15, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
I just came back from an interview. Man, I wish I had some way of assessing how well it went. I have no idea whatsoever.

Knocking on wooden desk.....I was offered a second interview later this month. Hope springs eternal.....

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #78: January 15, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
Well, that beats a fork in the eye!

Online Slateman

« Reply #79: January 15, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
So, anyone in the area looking to hire an Oracle DBA? My dad is looking for a new job.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #80: January 16, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
So, here's where my job search is - twisting in the wind....

> Back on 11/21 I had a phone screen with the IT Director, call him DF for company "C" for a position as the "Data Manager"  -  it went very well.

> On 12/08, I went in for a formal interview session and was scheduled to meet with 4 people, SS (Product Manager), DF, GM (Chief Product Officer), and BH (the Chief Tech. Officer). When I got there, I learned that SS and BH weren't available. I met with DF, GM, and SW (Senior Programmer/Analyst type). Again, it went very well.

> On 12/15, I went back in to meet with BH (CTO), who was apologetic about not being available on 12/08, and again, that meeting went very well. At this point, my head hunter tells me that an offer is imminent, and that "C" has released all other candidates from her agency. She doesn't believe that there are others.

> "C" calls the headhunter again and requests another interview, this time with DS (the COO) and SS (remember her from 12/08?). The recruiter tells me that they are just "dotting their I's and crossing their T's" at this point. And again, I kill it.

> At this point the recruiter has learned that DF (from the initial screening and interviews) is leaving the company.

> It's been 2 weeks since the last interview, and I hear that they are focusing on replacing DF but are still interested in making me an offer. I expect that once they hire a new IT Director, I'll be back for at least 1 more interview, which is also important for me to meet the IT Director, which I believe would be my reporting manager.

My recruiter is scheduled to talk to their HR Rep today at noon; I hope we don't get blown off. If this wasn't such a perfect gig for me, I would have moved on by now. My current employer "T" has laid off some people in the past week, and with the job at "C"  would be a perfect time to transition. Meanwhile, I wait.

Online Slateman

« Reply #81: January 16, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
How does having a headhunter work? Do you pay a fee or something?

Anyway, apparently exit interview means sign two pieces of paperwork and get ushered out the door.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #82: January 16, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
How does having a headhunter work? Do you pay a fee or something?

Anyway, apparently exit interview means sign two pieces of paperwork and get ushered out the door.
A headhunter is paid by the hiring firm/company. So, if I get this job, the head hunter will collect a fee. Usually, the person placed (me) has to last 60-90 days before the head hunter collects payment. So, If I get hired, and if I work out, the head hunter gets paid.

I'm pretty sure that if a recruiter asks you for money, your getting scammed. Unless, there's a real value added, like a resume writing service.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #83: January 16, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
Generally when you, the jobseeker, pay someone for the service they call it a Job Placement Agency.  Usually that'd get used by someone looking for a much lower down the food chain white collar job that doesn't recognize it for what it is. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #84: January 16, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »
So, here's where my job search is - twisting in the wind....

> Back on 11/21 I had a phone screen with the IT Director, call him DF for company "C" for a position as the "Data Manager"  -  it went very well.

> On 12/08, I went in for a formal interview session and was scheduled to meet with 4 people, SS (Product Manager), DF, GM (Chief Product Officer), and BH (the Chief Tech. Officer). When I got there, I learned that SS and BH weren't available. I met with DF, GM, and SW (Senior Programmer/Analyst type). Again, it went very well.

> On 12/15, I went back in to meet with BH (CTO), who was apologetic about not being available on 12/08, and again, that meeting went very well. At this point, my head hunter tells me that an offer is imminent, and that "C" has released all other candidates from her agency. She doesn't believe that there are others.

> "C" calls the headhunter again and requests another interview, this time with DS (the COO) and SS (remember her from 12/08?). The recruiter tells me that they are just "dotting their I's and crossing their T's" at this point. And again, I kill it.

> At this point the recruiter has learned that DF (from the initial screening and interviews) is leaving the company.

> It's been 2 weeks since the last interview, and I hear that they are focusing on replacing DF but are still interested in making me an offer. I expect that once they hire a new IT Director, I'll be back for at least 1 more interview, which is also important for me to meet the IT Director, which I believe would be my reporting manager.

My recruiter is scheduled to talk to their HR Rep today at noon; I hope we don't get blown off. If this wasn't such a perfect gig for me, I would have moved on by now. My current employer "T" has laid off some people in the past week, and with the job at "C"  would be a perfect time to transition. Meanwhile, I wait.

You're going to want to find out why this transition is happening.  Before I landed my current job I interviewed for a senior position with a pretty major research group in DC and they had something similar happen as they were putting an offer together.  A friend of mine on the selection committee gave me the heads up that if I took the position I'd be caught in a no-win situation in terms of office politics (again, find out why people are leaving) and I'd have to find a new spot to transfer into before my probation period was over.  Turns out it didn't matter since I got an offer paying a lot more to do better work with zero intra-office-politics from a totally different company. 

The one time I landed a gig via a headhunter (about 10 years ago) they got $18K to basically search LinkedIn/Monster for a few keywords and 20 minutes of a phone interview.  That's a pretty typical fee rate (20%) though some will get less and, depending on the position and the amount of effort to find a candidate, it can be as high as 40%, but that's pretty rare.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #85: January 16, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »
You're going to want to find out why this transition is happening.  Before I landed my current job I interviewed for a senior position with a pretty major research group in DC and they had something similar happen as they were putting an offer together.  A friend of mine on the selection committee gave me the heads up that if I took the position I'd be caught in a no-win situation in terms of office politics (again, find out why people are leaving) and I'd have to find a new spot to transfer into before my probation period was over.  Turns out it didn't matter since I got an offer paying a lot more to do better work with zero intra-office-politics from a totally different company. 

The one time I landed a gig via a headhunter (about 10 years ago) they got $18K to basically search LinkedIn/Monster for a few keywords and 20 minutes of a phone interview.  That's a pretty typical fee rate (20%) though some will get less and, depending on the position and the amount of effort to find a candidate, it can be as high as 40%, but that's pretty rare.

Agreed - at this point, I want to go in one more time and find out what the story is.

I was told by the recruiter, that the IT Director that left - he left because he didn't like being a manager. He had been offered a promotion and accepted it from a Senior Developer/Data Role to be the IT Dir. But missed the hands on data work and didn't enjoy the role of being the ITD. Which I can see.

Would it be weird to reach out to that guy via LinkedIn?

Online Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #86: January 16, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
No, it is not weird or unethical

Agreed - at this point, I want to go in one more time and find out what the story is.

I was told by the recruiter, that the IT Director that left - he left because he didn't like being a manager. He had been offered a promotion and accepted it from a Senior Developer/Data Role to be the IT Dir. But missed the hands on data work and didn't enjoy the role of being the ITD. Which I can see.

Would it be weird to reach out to that guy via LinkedIn?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #87: January 16, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
'Missed the hands on work' may also be the Peter Principle coming into play.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #88: January 16, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »

'Missed the hands on work' may also be the Peter Principle coming into play.
Well I finally heard today. They hired someone else. Which I think may be a silver lining. The data managers job was cleaning up their messy processes. It now seems that they are disorganized top to bottom.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #89: January 16, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »
Oif. Given what it sounds like your skill set is, shouldn't be too hard to get your pick of things.  Seems like we've got a number of pretty established tech folks on this board.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats

Offline blue911

« Reply #92: January 17, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
I would do if they would let me be Nixon.

Polk, he was incontinent for his entire administration.

Online Slateman

« Reply #93: January 17, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Polk, he was incontinent for his entire administration.

So make him run with a diaper

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #94: January 17, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
I still don't know why Taft hasn't raced in a motorized bathtub during one of the races. It's like the Nats hate fun or something.

Online Slateman

« Reply #95: January 17, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »
I still don't know why Taft hasn't raced in a motorized bathtub during one of the races. It's like the Nats hate fun or something.

Bathtubs cost money :stir:

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #96: January 29, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »
Knocking on wooden desk.....I was offered a second interview later this month. Hope springs eternal.....

Had my second interview this morning. Once again I have no idea how I did, but I don't feel I blew it, at least.

They said they were planning to make offers very soon, as early as next week, so I guess I'll know one way or the other soon enough......

Online Slateman

« Reply #97: January 30, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
Nice. I mean, at least you know that you're on the radar. Gotta be good later on. Networking and the like.

Got an interesting call today. HR recruiter from one of the companies I applied with, and the company a former colleague works for, wanted to talk. He understood I had just started a new job but wanted to talk about future opportunities, what I'm looking for, salary expectations, and location preferences. No actual position nor offer.

Anyone ever gotten a call like that?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #98: January 31, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »
Nice. I mean, at least you know that you're on the radar. Gotta be good later on. Networking and the like.

Got an interesting call today. HR recruiter from one of the companies I applied with, and the company a former colleague works for, wanted to talk. He understood I had just started a new job but wanted to talk about future opportunities, what I'm looking for, salary expectations, and location preferences. No actual position nor offer.

Anyone ever gotten a call like that?

No but I've made calls like that. Its nice to have a bank of resumes you can spam the next time you have an opening.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #99: January 31, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
From the government side, that never happens probably because HR folks do not seem too bright or care whether the rest of the agency has an adequate work force.  Usually you follow up and find nothing has happened or no one can tell you the status.

The last time I switched jobs I got a letter in the mail that my wife opened and said I got some notice that said I did not get a job I applied for; she asked why I was applying for a new job when I had only been at the current job for a year and had said I was happy. I was perplexed also; opened the letter when I got home and found out that I did not get a job at OMB I had applied for a year and one half before--and folks at OMB are the ones who tell everyone else how to manage.  I retired last fall--was curious and went into my official federal jobs account this week--there were still three jobs listed that I had applied for in early 2013 that showed status as still open.  And all that said things are generally better than they were 15-20 years ago.