Author Topic: The Weather (2015)  (Read 33886 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Weather (2015)
« Topic Start: January 06, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
"Weather..." Index:

2011 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=20896.0
2012 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25511.0
2013 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=28336.0
2014 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30441.0
2015 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32134.0
2016 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33590.0
2017 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34779.0

Absolute chaos in western prince william county as for some odd reason schools didn't close.  It took me an hour to drive the 2 mile round-trip to get my kids to school.  There were accidents and cars that had gone off the road along the entire route, even a stuck bus.

And now the NWS is saying snow totals could reach 4-6" as a heavy band of snow passes through the area starting around 11 AM.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: The Weather (2015)
« Reply #1: January 06, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
I've never been more confused by drivers than this morning- slick road with a RWD BMW- normal speed limit sounds like a good idea; Road with just slush and blacktop in a AWD soccer mom land barge- better keep it under 5 :bang:

Online imref

« Reply #2: January 06, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
I've never been more confused by drivers than this morning- slick road with a RWD BMW- normal speed limit sounds like a good idea; Road with just slush and blacktop in a AWD soccer mom land barge- better keep it under 5 :bang:

I saw a BMW 3 series and a camaro go off the road during my short drive, those really aren't the best cars to drive in the snow (unless the BMW was an AWD model, which I seriously doubt ).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: January 06, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
He wasn't doing well, but he made it to at least the GW parkway, the only car I saw off the road was an f150 that looked like they missed a corner

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: January 06, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
He wasn't doing well, but he made it to at least the GW parkway, the only car I saw off the road was an f150 that looked like they missed a corner
Im in VA; live on a hill; its basically impassible for small cars when its like this.  Luckily I was outside when a couple cars got stuck and was able to move my car parked in the street before they hit it.  Was able to help them turn around and go back down the hill.  Amazing that some people will drive cars without almost any tread. 

Glad my working days are over.  No trying to risk my neck on mornings like this for Uncle Sam.  Stay safe to all of you heading out.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: January 06, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
Absolute chaos in western prince william county as for some odd reason schools didn't close.  It took me an hour to drive the 2 mile round-trip to get my kids to school.  There were accidents and cars that had gone off the road along the entire route, even a stuck bus.

And now the NWS is saying snow totals could reach 4-6" as a heavy band of snow passes through the area starting around 11 AM.
Im in the Eastern end of PWC and its slippery here.  Must have been really bad your way with all the winding roads 

Yes, that's really weird about them not closing the schools as they usually close for just about anything.  Think they were asleep at the wheel.

Online imref

« Reply #6: January 06, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »
Im in the Eastern end of PWC and its slippery here.  Must have been really bad your way with all the winding roads 

Yes, that's really weird about them not closing the schools as they usually close for just about anything.  Think they were asleep at the wheel.

one of the assistant superintendents for Fairfax was on WTOP earlier.  He said that in the early morning the forecasts were calling for a dusting to 3" so they thought they were OK to open.  Obviously that's a call they'll regret.  Here in PWC, the head of the school board just announced that it's an excused absence for anyone who decided to stay home.  Elementary school buses were running up to an hour late in some areas.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: January 06, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »
one of the assistant superintendents for Fairfax was on WTOP earlier.  He said that in the early morning the forecasts were calling for a dusting to 3" so they thought they were OK to open.  Obviously that's a call they'll regret.  Here in PWC, the head of the school board just announced that it's an excused absence for anyone who decided to stay home.  Elementary school buses were running up to an hour late in some areas.
I have  not ventured out but from what others said here they have not cleared the main roads either.  Probably too cold to do much at this point.
If it's this cold its hard to keep the roads clear which makes one wonder why they didn't close the schools.  Especially given that the Feds called it telework/liberal leave.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: January 06, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
I don't blame the schools, I blame the counties (at least fairfax and alexandria) for not having any salt or sand down

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: January 06, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
Here in Chantilly, got about two inches of snow. Dog had a good time.

Offline Clever

« Reply #10: January 06, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Looks like about three inches up here in College Park. School's closed. Gotta love PG county!  :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: January 06, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
While I understand that the welfare of hardware on bicycles isn't exactly the primary concern in situations such as this, the mere thought of salt & sand on the roads makes me break out in hives...*shudder*

We have a good 3 1/2 or 4 inches here - maybe a little more. Guess I should think about shoveling.

Online imref

« Reply #12: January 06, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
snow has stopped in western PWC, about 3" total I'd guess.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: January 06, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
I don't blame the schools, I blame the counties (at least fairfax and alexandria) for not having any salt or sand down
Isn't there some sort of treatment for roads using waste from the beermaking process and adding magnesium oxide or something like that?  Port City could keep Alexandria covered for a year.

Offline thepointe01

« Reply #14: January 06, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm a teacher in Springfield, and left real early and beat the majority of the problems, still skidded all over, and there were so few students that they just told the buses to take the kids back home (not sure how much sense that makes), just got home, I do also think the treatment of the roads is to blame, my car is terrible in snow, but somehow made it back home.  It's insanity over there in Springfield, Old Keene Mill is basically a parking lot of stuck cars.

Online imref

« Reply #15: January 06, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm a teacher in Springfield, and left real early and beat the majority of the problems, still skidded all over, and there were so few students that they just told the buses to take the kids back home (not sure how much sense that makes), just got home, I do also think the treatment of the roads is to blame, my car is terrible in snow, but somehow made it back home.  It's insanity over there in Springfield, Old Keene Mill is basically a parking lot of stuck cars.

there were posts on FB saying that some HS classrooms were without teachers this morning due to traffic issues.

Online imref

« Reply #16: January 06, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Isn't there some sort of treatment for roads using waste from the beermaking process and adding magnesium oxide or something like that?  Port City could keep Alexandria covered for a year.

DMV folks were saying roads were pre-treated last night, but the snow came down very hard and heavy between around 7 and 10 AM.

Offline thepointe01

« Reply #17: January 06, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »
there were posts on FB saying that some HS classrooms were without teachers this morning due to traffic issues.

yea, luckily I work in a school that makes its own decisions (usually follow FCPS schedule), but yea, I saw that too, friends of mine were still trying to make it to school after like 4 hours.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #18: January 06, 2015, 12:11:35 PM »

Arlington county, usually pretty astute on getting the streets clear of snow, was apparently caught unawares today - Court House Road was untouched when I went out this morning. (Hoping that OPM gives us of the paper-pushing brigade the day off tomorrow - the sidewalks in Arlington and DC are going to be covered with dangerous ice tomorrow morning.)

Online imref

« Reply #19: January 06, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: January 06, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
DMV folks were saying roads were pre-treated last night, but the snow came down very hard and heavy between around 7 and 10 AM.
I could actually see this.  Salt should work down to about 20 degrees, but if it is covered, it is not going to do much for while.  Better to have a high sand mixture so the grit gives traction, I think.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #21: January 06, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
I could actually see this.  Salt should work down to about 20 degrees, but if it is covered, it is not going to do much for while.  Better to have a high sand mixture so the grit gives traction, I think.

Yes, salt would have been useless last night or this morning.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #22: January 06, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
You all need to remember this next time that they make the call to close the schools and then no snow materializes.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: January 06, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
You all need to remember this next time that they make the call to close the schools and then no snow materializes.

Did anyone every nag about that?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: January 06, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
People with kids who have to take time off when roads are clear