Author Topic: MLB.TV Questions  (Read 3347 times)

Offline NationalHeat

MLB.TV Questions
« Topic Start: December 29, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
So I went ahead and cancelled cable. Big pain in the ass that always acted up and kept costing more. Only downside is losing out on Nats games. I figured I would buy a good radio and listen live, maybe download the free portion of MLB.TV and watch highlights. Is there ANY way I can watch the Nats here in DC via MLB.TV or is it strict blackout? Could I watch whatever road team they are playing?

If any non-cable subscriber has any good advice on how to watch the Nats it would be very much appreciated!

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: MLB.TV Questions
« Reply #1: December 29, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
strict blackout- you can use a proxy, but apparently, they can check it against you billing address

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #2: December 29, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Who is the Nats radio affiliate? Do they cover every game?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: December 29, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
So I went ahead and cancelled cable. Big pain in the ass that always acted up and kept costing more. Only downside is losing out on Nats games. I figured I would buy a good radio and listen live, maybe download the free portion of MLB.TV and watch highlights. Is there ANY way I can watch the Nats here in DC via MLB.TV or is it strict blackout? Could I watch whatever road team they are playing?

If any non-cable subscriber has any good advice on how to watch the Nats it would be very much appreciated!
1. Get a girlfriend with cable.
2. Get someone to patch you into your neighbor's cable.
2. Go to the bar every night--of course they may be showing off season Redskins news so might be hard to watch the Nats.

Feel your pain about cable--I think I may just drop my cable later this year and then get an Apple TV; of course would be in the same boat as you but I am out of town a lot so can use the MLB app.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #4: December 29, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
strict blackout- you can use a proxy, but apparently, they can check it against you billing address

Do they actually do this? I thought some people on this board used a VPN with MLB.tv.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: December 29, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
Do they actually do this? I thought some people on this board used a VPN with MLB.tv.

they supposedly reserve the right- who knows

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: December 29, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »
Who is the Nats radio affiliate? Do they cover every game?

106.7 FM    If you're in the coverage, it's not a problem at all.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: December 29, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »

Unless you spoof your location when you log in, MLB.tv knows your are local and blacks out the game. It's do-able, according to some of the more internet-savvy folks around here (Chief and Nathan come to mind).

The MLB AtBat app streams the radio coverage for like $14 a year or something.

The on-line stream from the flagship 106.7 and it's broadcast affiliates  do not include the games. If you're not hearing it OTA, you'll need AtBat.

Nats games are the single thing that keep me buying cable. And basic cable doesn't include MASN. :(

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #8: December 29, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
Yeah I've never had to get around blackouts because they play in Texas so rarely. I guess you could go Dutch on a subscription with someone not in the viewing area and then spoof your location. There are a variety of services you can pay for or set up yourself that will allow you to do that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure it lets five people use an account at the same time as well.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: December 29, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
Yeah I've never had to get around blackouts because they play in Texas so rarely. I guess you could go Dutch on a subscription with someone not in the viewing area and then spoof your location. There are a variety of services you can pay for or set up yourself that will allow you to do that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure it lets five people use an account at the same time as well.

Minty and I know nothing about this.

That's stupid, half the reason to have MLB.tv is so you can watch the games when traveling. I can tell you for a fact that they don't just black out based on where you live, but I don't know if they'd do so if you logged in and then tried to swap to your VPN/proxy.

Blackouts in general are stupid, it's going to be 20-god damned-15.  Get with the times.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #10: December 29, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »

That's stupid, half the reason to have MLB.tv is so you can watch the games when traveling. I can tell you for a fact that they don't just black out based on where you live, but I don't know if they'd do so if you logged in and then tried to swap to your VPN/proxy.

Blackouts in general are stupid, it's going to be 20-god damned-15.  Get with the times.

They aren't blacked out near the Mason Dixon line?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #11: December 29, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
They are, they aren't blacked out in New York on my account.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: December 29, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
They are, they aren't blacked out in New York on my a mystery account I've only heard about.
what you meant to say

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: December 29, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
Damn you autocorrect!

Offline whytev

« Reply #14: December 29, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »

It checks your IP every time you click to watch.  It geo-locates you iPhone too.  The best thing about living in Canada is that I get to see every single game.  I guess when they play the BJs next year I'll have to find a bar.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #15: December 30, 2014, 09:53:31 AM »

:clap:

I definitely owe you a few beers and a ticket to a game. 

Or perhaps I can get my own account and you can use my login?  Or would you still be blacked out?

Especially since nobody wants to go to the park in the middle of the summer anymore.  No team sells out games anymore so why continue these archaic blackout restrictions?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #16: December 30, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
For some reason, my iPad blacks out the Nats games, while my Apple TV blacks out the Oakland A's. This would have served me well, had I discovered it prior to the middle of September when I randomly tried to watch an A's game.

I could have been watching the Nats all season... :(

I'm hoping that my Apple TV will still somehow spoof its location to be in the Bay Area this season, which would be AMAZING.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: December 30, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
For some reason, my iPad blacks out the Nats games, while my Apple TV blacks out the Oakland A's. This would have served me well, had I discovered it prior to the middle of September when I randomly tried to watch an A's game.

I could have been watching the Nats all season... :(

I'm hoping that my Apple TV will still somehow spoof its location to be in the Bay Area this season, which would be AMAZING.
Cupertino maybe?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #18: December 30, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
I don't think these are attendance-at-the-park blackouts. I just think that MASN has the rights to the games, and if you can get MASN (if you are in the area where MASN broadcasts), then they won't let you get the MLB.tv broadcast.

:clap:

I definitely owe you a few beers and a ticket to a game. 

Or perhaps I can get my own account and you can use my login?  Or would you still be blacked out?

Especially since nobody wants to go to the park in the middle of the summer anymore.  No team sells out games anymore so why continue these archaic blackout restrictions?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #19: December 30, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #20: December 30, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
Someone ought to start a site to swap MLB.tv addresses - I'll pay your bill in Texas, if you pay my bill in DC kind of thing....

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: December 30, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
Someone ought to start a site to swap MLB.tv addresses - I'll pay your bill in Texas, if you pay my bill in DC kind of thing....

It reads your IP address when you attempt to access the game.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: December 30, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
does unblock us let you specify a country - i.e. I want a uk ip so I can watch bbc online

Offline whytev

« Reply #24: December 30, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
does unblock us let you specify a country - i.e. I want a uk ip so I can watch bbc online

I use Blockless and I believe it does. I just use it to get the sweet American Netflix choices.