Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS  (Read 84315 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Follow the Prospects: Trea Turner, SS
« Reply #100: April 21, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
I'd be fine with Alcides Escobar, probably.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: April 21, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
I'd be fine with Alcides Escobar, probably.
I was trying to remember that trade - Greinke (2 years of control) and Yuni Betancourt for Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, Jake Odorizzi, and Jeremy Jefress.  Greinke in turn flipped a year later for Jean Segura.  Odorizzi and Myers (and Mike Montgomery) got the Royals Shields and Wade Davis.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/6/24/5836138/the-greinke-trade-revisited

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #102: April 21, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Error Desmond?

Online Slateman

« Reply #103: April 21, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
I was trying to remember that trade - Greinke (2 years of control) and Yuni Betancourt for Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, Jake Odorizzi, and Jeremy Jefress.  Greinke in turn flipped a year later for Jean Segura.  Odorizzi and Myers (and Mike Montgomery) got the Royals Shields and Wade Davis.

Don't forget, the Nationals were in serious talks to trade for Grienke as well. Even were allowed to start negotiating a long term deal.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #104: April 21, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »

Royals gave up (2015 numbers only)
Greinke (4.3 WAR)
Betancourt (out of baseball)
Odorizzi (2.2)
Myers (0.0)

Royals received
Shields (3.3)
Cain (4.9)
Escobar (3.3)
Davis (3.0)

Total given up: 5.5 WAR
Total received: 14.5 WAR

You deserve to go to the WS for spinning that straw into gold.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #105: April 21, 2015, 01:34:46 PM »
Don't forget, the Nationals were in serious talks to trade for Grienke as well. Even were allowed to start negotiating a long term deal.

weren't storen and JZ rumored to be part of that deal?

Online Slateman

« Reply #106: April 21, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
weren't storen and JZ rumored to be part of that deal?

So the article I found lists that JZ, Storen, and Espinosa were all names on the table.

Frankly, if it had been JZ and Espinosa, that would have turned out to be an amazing deal for the Nats.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #107: April 22, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
Of course not OD 2016, but the April 20th cut off? Yes. He is on pace for that. I know the Nats take it slow with prospects but not everyone needs to go to AAA. Heck, AA talent may be better than AAA in some cases. Kid is super close to ready.

Online Slateman

« Reply #108: April 22, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
Of course not OD 2016, but the April 20th cut off? Yes. He is on pace for that. I know the Nats take it slow with prospects but not everyone needs to go to AAA. Heck, AA talent may be better than AAA in some cases. Kid is super close to ready.

I could see him finishing this season in Triple A and starting 2016 in Triple A.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #109: April 22, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »
So the article I found lists that JZ, Storen, and Espinosa were all names on the table.

Frankly, if it had been JZ and Espinosa, that would have turned out to be an amazing deal for the Nats.
I remember it was at least ZNN, Storen, and Espinosa. Espinosa at the time had a much higher stock then he does now and same could be said for Storen. ZNN was showing flashes of being very, very good. You also could switch Storen's name for Detwiler or Norris.

Also at the time we felt good about the Nats future but had no idea how much talent we'd soon have. At the time a trade where we sent ZNN, Espinosa, and one or two of Storen/Detwiler/Norris would have just been too much. We needed as many pieces as possible.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #110: April 22, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »
Of course not OD 2016, but the April 20th cut off? Yes. He is on pace for that.

As my HS English teacher would say, support needed.

A couple of hot weeks in AA does not put you on the Rendon/Longoria/Bryant track.

At best he should be on the Dustin Ackley track, who played 2/3, 1/3 between AA and AAA his first full season, then played 66 games in AAA the following season before being called up in mid-June.

And Ackley in that final AAA season had a .908 OPS and was walking 50% more than he was striking out.

I guess I'd be ecstatic if he actually got called up in April next season, because he probably would have OPSed like .900 this season. But it's extremely unlikely.

Offline whytev

« Reply #111: April 22, 2015, 02:19:44 PM »
As my HS English teacher would say, support needed.

A couple of hot weeks in AA does not put you on the Rendon/Longoria/Bryant track.

At best he should be on the Dustin Ackley track, who played 2/3, 1/3 between AA and AAA his first full season, then played 66 games in AAA the following season before being called up in mid-June.

And Ackley in that final AAA season had a .908 OPS and was walking 50% more than he was striking out.

I guess I'd be ecstatic if he actually got called up in April next season, because he probably would have OPSed like .900 this season. But it's extremely unlikely.

That's another good comparison.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #112: April 22, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
And remember that Ackley was a top 15 prospect two straight years, while Turner is in the 50-100 range.

Online Slateman

« Reply #113: April 22, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
I remember it was at least ZNN, Storen, and Espinosa. Espinosa at the time had a much higher stock then he does now and same could be said for Storen. ZNN was showing flashes of being very, very good. You also could switch Storen's name for Detwiler or Norris.

Also at the time we felt good about the Nats future but had no idea how much talent we'd soon have. At the time a trade where we sent ZNN, Espinosa, and one or two of Storen/Detwiler/Norris would have just been too much. We needed as many pieces as possible.

JZ, Detwiler, and Espinosa sounds awesome

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #114: April 23, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »
JZ, Detwiler, and Espinosa sounds awesome
Today, yes.

Then, not so much

Offline RD

« Reply #115: April 24, 2015, 01:16:43 AM »
It's definitely a really aggressive path that usually only super advanced hitting prospects like Kris Bryant or Anthony Rendon follow.

If you look at the 2011 draft that had a lot of 4-year college talent in it, guys like Kolten Wong, George Springer, Joe Panik and C.J. Cron all had their first major action in 2014. So I agree it's really likely that we don't see Trea Turner until 2017 (maybe a cup of coffee in 2016).

Its always hard to compare guys across the board. Some guys are not viewed as polished at draft time, but still immediately produce. On the flip side, guys that are praised as polished do not always have immediate success. Mike Trout wasn't a cant miss kid and some talked about winters limiting his development a bit, and look what he did right away.

Its also difficult to compare guys to different organizations. The Cardinals never rush anyone, so it's hard to make a comparison to Wong. A guy like Springer(which also goes for a guy like Baez) swings and misses a lot. Springer struck out 300 times in two minor league seasons. Even though he did mash, you're still going to work on his approach because it will become magnified at the big league level(like it still is). A guy like Panik was in an organization winning rings and with a very solid second basemen in Marco Scutaro. The situation at the big league level does effect how quickly you promote guys.

We have been slow to promote guys. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think each person needs to be judged differently. I believe you take it slow at the lower levels, when guys are adjusting to pro ball and still growing physically and mentally. You dont want to rush them and risk damaging their confidence if they struggle. If you have success at the higher levels, you can't start to be more aggressive IMO. But, even that doesn't apply to everyone. Some guys can handle the struggle and learn from it. Some crawl into a hole and can't get out. It's a prospect to prospect basis. It was a system wide philosophy in the past, because we sucked. We hit it big with some rare talent and while the urge was there to rush it, there was a bigger picture at play.

The team isn't in the same situation now that it was even two or three years ago. Im not saying that because we area contender now, you rush prospects, but if you have in house solutions to holes, you definitely want to fill it there first, if possible.

Which brings us to Trea's case. This isn't a raw high schooler that struggled his first few years in the minor leagues. An Ian Desmond comparson was made, but it's really not a good one. Desmond flashed some speed but was a mediocre offensive player his first four years. Some power came in year 4 and 5, and he put it all together in year 6. Turner is not on the path, at all.

Turner came from college, where he hit over .300(with an obp .100 points higher) each season, even as a true freshmen. His first taste of pro ball, he hits over .300(with an obp over .400) in 69 games. Those 69 games are not insiginificant over other guys mentioned previously like Bryant, Rendon, or Ackley. 69 games is over 1/2 the minor league season. He then followed that up by hitting .400 on the taxi squad in the Arizona Fall League. 9 games is a small sample size, but 10 runs, 7 steals, and 14 hits in 9 games against more experienced prospects is still impressive.

Now we move to 2015. I will admit that there is an assumption on my part here. My assumption is that Turner will continue to do what he's done everywhere, and that is hit and get on base. It's early but he's doing very well in AA ball. You can say it's aggressive to promote him after a year and a half in the minors, but if the kid hits in college, hits A ball, hits in AA ball, hits in the AFL .... What else do you need to see? That's not to say he's going to walk in and hit .300 and lead off for the Nats as a rookie. It's the biggest jump of them all and you never know how players respond. But, what more could he do at the minor league level? Spending a year at AAA is not necessary for most upper echelon prospects. For someone like Mike Taylor, sure. He struggled his first couple years in the minors then blew up last year. He struck out a lot in the process, and should get some more seasoning in the minors to develop his game. But a first round pick that hits at every level? If he's ready, he's ready. You don't need to delay him an extra year just for the sake of being patient.

Another thing on Turner that I like. He hit as a true freshman in college. In his minor league debut, he had some struggles initially but turned it on and had a great half year. He was challenged with a stint in the AFL and did well. This year, I think most expected him to be at A+. I know I did, and I had made plans to go see him at Lake Elsinore for the Pads. But he was challenged with an AA assignment. He was 0-10 with 5 K's in his first three games. Since then,  he's 16/40 with 5/7 BB/K ratio. Now that is a small sample size. But, he's made adjustments and rather quickly, when challenged, at different levels. That bodes well for the future IMO.  He could go into a funk the rest of the year and make all this talk moot. Like I said, Im going on the assumption he has another very good season at AA. If Turner does that, I would think he gets a pretty big boost in his hype and rankings. Being a true SS with standout speed and the ability to hit and get on base ... Thats top 25 prospect material, maybe higher.

I can't say how the Nationals are going to handle it, because I have no idea. Im just giving my opinion. I think as long as he continues to play well, he goes to Harrisburg, with a chance at a promortion to AAA before the end of the year. And then he heads to the AFL to get some more experience. We have a hole at shortstop next year and we shouldn't slow play kids to the bigs that have shown they deserve a shot. With a good year at AA with the success before that, I do think Trea deserves a shot. I understand the point of delaying him a few weeks for his service time, but he should get every chance to be the 2016 shortstop if he has a good year this year.

In a perfect world, Difo continues to progress and hes ready in 2017. Two rookies up the middle would be tough with the expectations of the team. Break in Turner in 2016, and Difo the next year.

Offline whytev

« Reply #116: April 24, 2015, 02:05:01 AM »
Its always hard to compare guys across the board. Some guys are not viewed as polished at draft time, but still immediately produce. On the flip side, guys that are praised as polished do not always have immediate success. Mike Trout wasn't a cant miss kid and some talked about winters limiting his development a bit, and look what he did right away.

Its also difficult to compare guys to different organizations. The Cardinals never rush anyone, so it's hard to make a comparison to Wong. A guy like Springer(which also goes for a guy like Baez) swings and misses a lot. Springer struck out 300 times in two minor league seasons. Even though he did mash, you're still going to work on his approach because it will become magnified at the big league level(like it still is). A guy like Panik was in an organization winning rings and with a very solid second basemen in Marco Scutaro. The situation at the big league level does effect how quickly you promote guys.

We have been slow to promote guys. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think each person needs to be judged differently. I believe you take it slow at the lower levels, when guys are adjusting to pro ball and still growing physically and mentally. You dont want to rush them and risk damaging their confidence if they struggle. If you have success at the higher levels, you can't start to be more aggressive IMO. But, even that doesn't apply to everyone. Some guys can handle the struggle and learn from it. Some crawl into a hole and can't get out. It's a prospect to prospect basis. It was a system wide philosophy in the past, because we sucked. We hit it big with some rare talent and while the urge was there to rush it, there was a bigger picture at play.

The team isn't in the same situation now that it was even two or three years ago. Im not saying that because we area contender now, you rush prospects, but if you have in house solutions to holes, you definitely want to fill it there first, if possible.

Which brings us to Trea's case. This isn't a raw high schooler that struggled his first few years in the minor leagues. An Ian Desmond comparson was made, but it's really not a good one. Desmond flashed some speed but was a mediocre offensive player his first four years. Some power came in year 4 and 5, and he put it all together in year 6. Turner is not on the path, at all.

Turner came from college, where he hit over .300(with an obp .100 points higher) each season, even as a true freshmen. His first taste of pro ball, he hits over .300(with an obp over .400) in 69 games. Those 69 games are not insiginificant over other guys mentioned previously like Bryant, Rendon, or Ackley. 69 games is over 1/2 the minor league season. He then followed that up by hitting .400 on the taxi squad in the Arizona Fall League. 9 games is a small sample size, but 10 runs, 7 steals, and 14 hits in 9 games against more experienced prospects is still impressive.

Now we move to 2015. I will admit that there is an assumption on my part here. My assumption is that Turner will continue to do what he's done everywhere, and that is hit and get on base. It's early but he's doing very well in AA ball. You can say it's aggressive to promote him after a year and a half in the minors, but if the kid hits in college, hits A ball, hits in AA ball, hits in the AFL .... What else do you need to see? That's not to say he's going to walk in and hit .300 and lead off for the Nats as a rookie. It's the biggest jump of them all and you never know how players respond. But, what more could he do at the minor league level? Spending a year at AAA is not necessary for most upper echelon prospects. For someone like Mike Taylor, sure. He struggled his first couple years in the minors then blew up last year. He struck out a lot in the process, and should get some more seasoning in the minors to develop his game. But a first round pick that hits at every level? If he's ready, he's ready. You don't need to delay him an extra year just for the sake of being patient.

Another thing on Turner that I like. He hit as a true freshman in college. In his minor league debut, he had some struggles initially but turned it on and had a great half year. He was challenged with a stint in the AFL and did well. This year, I think most expected him to be at A+. I know I did, and I had made plans to go see him at Lake Elsinore for the Pads. But he was challenged with an AA assignment. He was 0-10 with 5 K's in his first three games. Since then,  he's 16/40 with 5/7 BB/K ratio. Now that is a small sample size. But, he's made adjustments and rather quickly, when challenged, at different levels. That bodes well for the future IMO.  He could go into a funk the rest of the year and make all this talk moot. Like I said, Im going on the assumption he has another very good season at AA. If Turner does that, I would think he gets a pretty big boost in his hype and rankings. Being a true SS with standout speed and the ability to hit and get on base ... Thats top 25 prospect material, maybe higher.

I can't say how the Nationals are going to handle it, because I have no idea. Im just giving my opinion. I think as long as he continues to play well, he goes to Harrisburg, with a chance at a promortion to AAA before the end of the year. And then he heads to the AFL to get some more experience. We have a hole at shortstop next year and we shouldn't slow play kids to the bigs that have shown they deserve a shot. With a good year at AA with the success before that, I do think Trea deserves a shot. I understand the point of delaying him a few weeks for his service time, but he should get every chance to be the 2016 shortstop if he has a good year this year.

In a perfect world, Difo continues to progress and hes ready in 2017. Two rookies up the middle would be tough with the expectations of the team. Break in Turner in 2016, and Difo the next year.

Very well put. Great thoughts.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117: April 24, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
This year, I think most expected him to be at A+. I know I did, and I had made plans to go see him at Lake Elsinore for the Pads. But he was challenged with an AA assignment. He was 0-10 with 5 K's in his first three games. Since then,  he's 16/40 with 5/7 BB/K ratio. Now that is a small sample size. But, he's made adjustments and rather quickly, when challenged, at different levels. That bodes well for the future IMO.  He could go into a funk the rest of the year and make all this talk moot. Like I said, Im going on the assumption he has another very good season at AA. If Turner does that, I would think he gets a pretty big boost in his hype and rankings. Being a true SS with standout speed and the ability to hit and get on base ... Thats top 25 prospect material, maybe higher.

Thanks for posting RD.  Your posts are usually definitive, I/M/O. When you and NJ Ave go back and forth, that's a great read. Good to see you back this year.

I think you are right about the AA assignment being a surprise.  San Diego is doing us a bit of a favor, I guess, with the aggressive assignment.  In terms of development philosophy, another team that has had success with aggressive development while contending I think by reputation is the Red Sox.  Midseason promotions for their top position prospects are pretty common.

As for Turner, looks like he's been ~20% Ks and ~10-15% BBs in the minors (using PAs on Fangraphs).  How do those sort of rates project at higher levels?

Your point about breaking in Difo and Turner in different seasons makes some sense.  Also, the presence of Escobar and Espinosa next year makes it more feasible on this roster to break in a rookie regular with veterans around him than breaking in 2 rookies at once. 

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #118: April 24, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
That was a great post.

However, you can say all you want about "if a guy hits, what else does he need to learn?" but that's not necessarily true. If Trea Turner hit the majors in April 2016, that would mean he probably didn't spend more than half a season at any level, which means he'll never have gotten to face the same pitchers 3 or 4 times and had those pitchers make adjustments on him. Hell, given the PTBNL status, he won't even face the same pitchers 3 or 4 times this year even if he stays in AA all year, because he'll change leagues midway through the season.

And the ability to make adjustments is crucial to major league success, as crucial as the raw hitting ability it looks like he possesses.

In any case, I'm happy to be wrong, because as I said that probably means we turned Souza into a top-25 SS prospect plus Joe Ross, and it probably means Turner has a much better bat than most people thought he would. I'd love to have the next Derek Jeter. I would NOT love it if we saw him in April 2016 and it was clear he was struggling to keep his head above water because of physical immaturity and the inability to adjust, which are skills you can improve on in the high minors.

Offline whytev

« Reply #119: April 24, 2015, 12:34:59 PM »
Thanks for posting RD.  Your posts are usually definitive, I/M/O. When you and NJ Ave go back and forth, that's a great read. Good to see you back this year.

I think you are right about the AA assignment being a surprise.  San Diego is doing us a bit of a favor, I guess, with the aggressive assignment.  In terms of development philosophy, another team that has had success with aggressive development while contending I think by reputation is the Red Sox.  Midseason promotions for their top position prospects are pretty common.

As for Turner, looks like he's been ~20% Ks and ~10-15% BBs in the minors (using PAs on Fangraphs).  How do those sort of rates project at higher levels?

Your point about breaking in Difo and Turner in different seasons makes some sense.  Also, the presence of Escobar and Espinosa next year makes it more feasible on this roster to break in a rookie regular with veterans around him than breaking in 2 rookies at once.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres called Rizzo and asked him where he wants Turner. Professional courtesy.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: April 24, 2015, 12:41:36 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres called Rizzo and asked him where he wants Turner. Professional courtesy.

or the Padres don't have other SS prospects. There is no way they'd steal at bats from a prospect they care about developing out of professional courtesy. If Jose Rondon looks ready to move up from high A, do you really think they'd let another team's prospect block him?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #121: April 24, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »
or the Padres don't have other SS prospects. There is no way they'd steal at bats from a prospect they care about developing out of professional courtesy. If Jose Rondon looks ready to move up from high A, do you really think they'd let another team's prospect block him?

I think they would if it was discussed during the trade talks. I don't think a good GM ever puts himself in a position to burn bridges with one of the limited people he has access to to try to improve his own team.

How many stories did we hear about guys not even willing to take Jim Bowden's phone calls because of the ridiculous trade demands he would make? You want to be the guy who loses trade partners because you renege on a promise in order to get a kid AA at bats a month early?

Now if it wasn't discussed, that's another thing altogether. But considering everyone thought he was going to high-A, I think it's likely that Rizzo, during trade talks, said he'd like them to put him in San Antonio.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122: April 24, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
It is interesting that Kiley McDaniel had Rondon starting in AA and Turner in A+ in his Padres organization write up.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-san-diego-padres/

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #123: April 24, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
If it's part of the trade, it's part of the trade, I just don't think the Padres would block a player on their team if it wasn't part of the trade. It's one thing to take at bats from a non-prospect, but I can't see them letting him take at bats from someone they plan on developing if it's not part of the trade (that might be why he's at AA instead of high A- their only other SS prospect is starting in high A)

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #124: April 24, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Rondon had 478 high-A at bats in 2014 where he hit .319/.365/.409.

When you combine Rondon strangely starting in high-A again, with Trea Turner skipping high-A altogether this year, I find it impossible to believe that discussion wasn't part of the trade.

And you know what? Maybe that means I'm wrong about his timeline. He's said he wants to be challenged and move up as quickly as possible, and maybe Rizzo is going to give him the opportunity. Maybe we WILL see him in April next year.