Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66600 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #175: March 02, 2019, 09:10:52 AM »
I have a tee-shirt that says;

Bryce &
Max &
Trea &
Daniel &
Stephen. :w:

Shows what the team thinks of Anthony if they don't even think he's good enough to be considered one of the team stars. Make a good faith offer and let him and Boras walk.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #176: March 02, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
Not if there is cheaper alternative coming up that's just as good.

The annual over valuing of prospects is a long standing tradition

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #177: March 02, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
The annual over valuing of prospects is a long standing tradition

Kieboom seems like the real deal and I don’t think there is anyone in baseball who feels differently. Assuming he can play 3rd. :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #178: March 02, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
Kieboom seems like the real deal and I don’t think there is anyone in baseball who feels differently. Assuming he can play 3rd. :)

If people expected him to be equivalent to rendon he would be one of the top ranked prospects- no list is valuing close to that

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #179: March 02, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
If people expected him to be equivalent to rendon he would be one of the top ranked prospects- no list is valuing close to that
Since the team has no long term answer at 2B it would make most sense to put him there and keep Rendon. Wonder if Rendon will go for the deferred money the Lerners love to offer? Lerners are Cheap with Current Year Dollars. I think next year may be worse for free agents with a strike looming.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #180: March 02, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
Juan Soto was number 37 in 2017

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181: March 02, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »

If you go by WAR, Rendon has been the 6th best player in baseball over the past two years. What are the chances that Kieboom is better than that? Unlikely.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #182: March 02, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
:lmao: We're a week into ST games and people already think some prospect is going to easily replace one of the best players in baseball :lmao:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #183: March 02, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
If you go by WAR, Rendon has been the 6th best player in baseball over the past two years. What are the chances that Kieboom is better than that? Unlikely.

If Rendon is ranked so high why is he a ghost throughout baseball?  He’s invisible as far as other players, coaches and fans are concerned. No love at the all star ballot box and no love from the coaches when picking backups. Is his grinning baboon schtick wearing thin instead of acting like a pro?

When I see the hysteria here to sign him at a Arenado level contract I see fear. After losing Bryce I think there is fear that we’ll lose Rendon next year and the Nats will not be seen as a destination for free agents but as a team where players are jumping ship to other teams.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #184: March 02, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »
:lmao: We're a week into ST games and people already think some prospect is going to easily replace one of the best players in baseball :lmao:

Hey numb nuts. We just lost one of the best players in baseball and guess who’s taking his place? A prospect!  :crackup:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185: March 02, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
Hey numb nuts. We just lost one of the best players in baseball and guess who’s taking his place? A prospect!  :crackup:

Over the past 3 years, Harper wasn’t nearly as good as Rendon.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #186: March 02, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »

There is no guarantee Kieboom will even be half the player Rendon is and besides we have a bigger hole at second base. Why make our team significantly worse? We have the money for Rendon. He's a really good player and we have no "cheap" alternative if that is just to hope a prospect can play out of position there

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187: March 02, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »
There is no guarantee Kieboom will even be half the player Rendon is and besides we have a bigger hole at second base. Why make our team significantly worse? We have the money for Rendon. He's a really good player and we have no "cheap" alternative if that is just to hope a prospect can play out of position there

But he grins..

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #188: March 02, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
Over the past 3 years, Harper wasn’t nearly as good as Rendon.

Put down the scalpel as we’re not slicing and dicing weeks or months to judge someone’s career but their totality. I just don’t see the need to be fearful about our upcoming negotiations with Rendon. He won’t have any competition with other free agent 3rd basemen next year but that doesn’t mean we need to make our 5 hole hitter one of the top paid position players in baseball. Let someone else lock up Rendon with a ridiculous contract. Especially if Kieboom can fill his position. We should be looking at free agent right fielders next year instead.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #189: March 02, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
If Rendon is ranked so high why is he a ghost throughout baseball?  He’s invisible as far as other players, coaches and fans are concerned.
He does not stand out in any one particular category.  He is just very good at everything, which makes him outstanding. His two best seasons, 2014 and 2017, had him finish strong after a fair start, which explains the lack of all star appearances.  It also hurts that 3B is stacked in the NL.  It is a little like SS in the AL in the late 90s and early 00s, with Vizquel stuck behind A-Rod, Nomar, and Jeter, and Tejada.  His defense is outstanding, but that is not something folks recognize much when ranking players.  And, even with all that, he's been 5th, 6th, and 11th in MVP voting in his 4 full seasons (2014, 2017, and 2018).  2015 is the only one after his rookie call up when he has played fewer than 135 games, so he's reasonably durable, too.   HE is probably the most undervalued star in the game.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190: March 02, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
Put down the scalpel as we’re not slicing and dicing weeks or months to judge someone’s career but their totality. I just don’t see the need to be fearful about our upcoming negotiations with Rendon. He won’t have any competition with other free agent 3rd basemen next year but that doesn’t mean we need to make our 5 hole hitter one of the top paid position players in baseball. Let someone else lock up Rendon with a ridiculous contract. Especially if Kieboom can fill his position. We should be looking at free agent right fielders next year instead.

Weeks or months? I said three YEARS. How is that not a big enough sample for you? You know who won the AL MVP with Harper in 2015? Josh Donaldson? Who could only manage a one year contract because he hasn’t produced in a while. Three years is an eternity.
The guy is one of the best, most consistent players in baseball, why not pay the guy?  Even if Kieboom somehow can replace Rendon’s production, which seems unlikely. You still have a hole at second.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #191: March 02, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
JCA and bs, let me get back to you as Trump is giving the speech of a lifetime. :w:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: March 02, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
If Rendon is ranked so high why is he a ghost throughout baseball?  He’s invisible as far as other players, coaches and fans are concerned. No love at the all star ballot box and no love from the coaches when picking backups. Is his grinning baboon schtick wearing thin instead of acting like a pro?

When I see the hysteria here to sign him at a Arenado level contract I see fear. After losing Bryce I think there is fear that we’ll lose Rendon next year and the Nats will not be seen as a destination for free agents but as a team where players are jumping ship to other teams.

People who evaluate player quality based on All-Star appearances are people who don’t know much about baseball and care more about flash. People here and elsewhere have repeatedly said that the team should  prioritize signing Rendon over Harper.

And what’s acting like a pro? playing at an extremely high level and perennially receiving MVP votes, or walking around with a scowl on your face all of the time?

I swear there are so many folks on here who care more about looking good than actually being good.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #193: March 02, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
I swear there are so many folks on here who care more about looking good than actually being good.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #194: March 02, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
I hope they overpay for Rendon. Just to upset you.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #195: March 02, 2019, 01:48:35 PM »
JCA and bs, let me get back to you as Trump is giving the speech of a lifetime. :w:
He’s excited because he got little rocket man’s autograph at the summit.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #196: March 02, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »

And a bunch of us are concerned at the lack of production because of that.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #197: March 02, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
It would be nice to see Rendon get a standing ovation the first time he comes up on opening day just to show the Nats fans appreciate and recognize what he's done.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #199: March 02, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »