Author Topic: Rays owner reported to be in talks that would move team to Montreal  (Read 5769 times)

Offline whytev

You're closer to the situation that I was, obviously, but I'm fairly certain that a good product would be well received in Montreal.

I think if baseball moved back, it'd be under the condition that a new stadium be build. That'd be a natural surface, but they might have to deal with a season or two in Stade Olympique.

This is anecdotal but some guy I knew from Montréal told me that at one point games were like $15. So I mean not only were the games empty but they were empty at the lowest price points.

As for the stadium, it's not easy to maintain grass there. Snow still being on the ground on opening day is not out of the question.

Offline whytev

Just don't bring back that M logo.

Never recycle a name or logo. I agree.

New name new look.

Offline monkeyhit

Montreal had a team. They didn't go to games. They don't deserve crap.

They were more interested in separating from the rest of Canada.
Of course, MLB (Selig) and Jeff Loria came along and inserted the dagger, but they were already dead.
Olympic Stadium was/and is a craphole. No way on earth Montreal could/would ever finance another baseball stadium.  Forget Montreal.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Whereas the various Florida teams attract the odd Cubs and Red Sox fan
Montreal had a team. They didn't go to games. They don't deserve crap.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Whereas the various Florida teams attract the odd Cubs and Red Sox fan

freak em both. Contract both Florida teams.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
A waterfront stadium in downtown Tampa could really be beautiful.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
It would be more centrally located for the Tampa Bay area.  But loads of politics causes the current stadium to be located in St. Petersburg

A waterfront stadium in downtown Tampa could really be beautiful.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Never recycle a name or logo. I agree.

New name new look.

So, uh, how about this one?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
preferred the interlocking DC

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline whytev

preferred the interlocking DC

When did Walgreens come into existence anyway?

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
Reasonable product?  They had the best team in baseball and snubbed their noses at it.  They don't deserve a second chance. Purely a hockey and CFL joint.

We had the best record in the National League, and our attendance was a little over two million. Yes, it was a bit better than the Orioles, but we should have drawn three million to Nats Park. We didn't. So I don't think we're in a position to criticize Montreal baseball fans. One more thing to keep in mind---they sold out the last Expos game at Olympic Stadium. The infamous "SHORT STINKS" game at RFK, which was the last AMERICAN League game in Washington was far from a sellout.

Montreal isn't a baseball town, but neither is Washington. It takes a lot of hard work and nurturing to grow a fan base in both cities. But in their heyday, Montreal really loved the Expos. I think the major reason why attendance plummeted at the "O" in the last decade was that Montrealers saw that that the baseball team was a lame duck franchise, and nothing they could do would change that. I don't blame those fans for staying away. Instead, I'm amazed at how many stayed.

I'm skeptical (or as Expos fans would say, "sceptical") that the Rays will move to Montreal without a clear-cut plan for a new stadium. But if they do go, I'll be happy because a load of guilt over how we got the Nats will be off my mind. I will feel sorry for Rays fans if the team moves, but St. Petersburg and Tampa should have seen the writing on the wall years ago, and nothing has been done. One big problem with the Tampa Bay area is that a lot of fans---and their kid---owe their baseball allegiances to out-of-town teams in New York and Boston, and would not change this even when the Rays won the pennant. For this bunch, the Rays weren't a team to root for but a team playing THEIR team whenever the Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets came to town.

Offline eddiejc1

When did Walgreens come into existence anyway?

Although the chain goes all the way back to 1901, the "W" they use for their logo came into existence after 1963 when the Washington Senators adopted the "curly W" logo that would eventually be used by the Nationals. If there was grounds for a lawsuit, I'm pretty sure Walgreens would have filed one by now.

Offline eddiejc1

They were more interested in separating from the rest of Canada.
Of course, MLB (Selig) and Jeff Loria came along and inserted the dagger, but they were already dead.
Olympic Stadium was/and is a craphole. No way on earth Montreal could/would ever finance another baseball stadium.  Forget Montreal.

A major reason why I'm skeptical is that I hear more Quebec politicians talking about bringing another NHL team (like the Phoenix Coyotes) to Quebec to become the new Nordiques than make the stand that Tony Williams did that would return MLB to DC. But if this WERE to happen, I'd be happy for them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Did they freeze his head with the hat on?
So, uh, how about this one?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline whytev

Although the chain goes all the way back to 1901, the "W" they use for their logo came into existence after 1963 when the Washington Senators adopted the "curly W" logo that would eventually be used by the Nationals. If there was grounds for a lawsuit, I'm pretty sure Walgreens would have filed one by now.

It sounds like the Senators were the ones with the grounds.

Offline whytev

A major reason why I'm skeptical is that I hear more Quebec politicians talking about bringing another NHL team (like the Phoenix Coyotes) to Quebec to become the new Nordiques than make the stand that Tony Williams did that would return MLB to DC. But if this WERE to happen, I'd be happy for them.

They'd be better off with a baseball team. The reason the Nordiques failed was because every Francophone in the entire country was born and bred a Habs fan.

Offline eddiejc1

It sounds like the Senators were the ones with the grounds.

Although I can't find the exact year, I read that the Walgreens "W" came out in the 50's, but suing a struggling American League team in Washington wasn't on their radar. I do note that the Nats' "curly W" is angled upward towards the right. In 2005, a Nationals PR guy said the logo was tilted up towards a new beginning. (Others would wag that it's the stern rising out of the water.) I would not be surprised if part of the reason why this was done was to ensure that there would be no trademark infringement lawsuit by Walgreens.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Expos attendance cracked the 2m mark four times - 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983 (full list: http://mlb.mlb.com/was/history/year_by_year_results.jsp).

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Although I can't find the exact year, I read that the Walgreens "W" came out in the 50's, but suing a struggling American League team in Washington wasn't on their radar. I do note that the Nats' "curly W" is angled upward towards the right. In 2005, a Nationals PR guy said the logo was tilted up towards a new beginning. (Others would wag that it's the stern rising out of the water.) I would not be surprised if part of the reason why this was done was to ensure that there would be no trademark infringement lawsuit by Walgreens.

Walgreens was not a national chain when the Nats shifted to the curly-W. No Walgreens in DC, for instance, and the Washington Senators/Nationals/Nats had been a national presence since 1870 or 1880. Founding member of the AL, 1901. MLB considered itself a national organization, with sixteen franchises in about ten cities. Would have been hard for a local drugstore in Chicago to argue that their brand had been hurt.

Offhand, I like the blue hat, red straight-edge-W, and the all-red look reminds me too much of Bob [expletive deleted]. Still, glad to have a team.

Washington not a baseball town? Only because Bob [expletive deleted] took the Nats to a jerkwater town mid-way between Dallas and Ft Worth. In October, 1971, Washington had only the Redskins, and George Allen put together a good team, a playoff team. Then 30 years of Redskins, but baseball is coming back.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Welch - I do have to wonder if this "not a baseball town" stuff has more to do with the Allen team becoming good at a time when there was nothing else.  No Caps, the Bullets were in Baltimore, I don't think the Diplomats existed even.  They prospered in a vaccuum, then when the others came in, they started from behind.  Add in the extended down years for the Bullets after the late 70s, and the Gibbs era, I can see how the area got a rep for not supporting anything other than football.  Every other team has to fight for attention while the NFL team had it all to themselves at the right time. Obviously, the AL thought this was a good enough baseball town to put a team right back in here when the Griffiths moved out to whiter new digs, so it is really the Short and immediate post Short era that led to the whole "Washington is not a baseball town" mentality.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I wonder what Phil Wood would do if I sent him that Calvin Griffith statue outside of Target Field.