Author Topic: Rays owner reported to be in talks that would move team to Montreal  (Read 5731 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

...which, I think, would be good. Montreal deserves a team. I never thought Tampa Bay was a major league town.  AAA, yes, but that franchise should have been awarded to DC. Charlotte is another AAA city, so, no, doesn't make sense to put a team there.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/10/25/7071219/tampa-bay-rays-stadium-talks-montreal

Online HalfSmokes

Three way trade, we trade the rays our expos rights and franchise records, the twins give us the senators and the rays give Minnesota the rays records (makes as much sense as them claiming the senators)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Montreal and Boston being in the same division could be fun (after 100 years of hate between their hockey teams)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Three way trade, we trade the rays our expos rights and franchise records

No need to trade them. They can have them.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Would love a team in Charlotte, move the Knights.

Also eats at Braves territory

Offline houston-nat

Apparently it may just be the owner playing hardball with St. Petersburg municipal officials.

Offline spidernat

Apparently it may just be the owner playing hardball with St. Petersburg municipal officials.

More than likely but I doubt that will work.

Offline whytev

...which, I think, would be good. Montreal deserves a team. I never thought Tampa Bay was a major league town.  AAA, yes, but that franchise should have been awarded to DC. Charlotte is another AAA city, so, no, doesn't make sense to put a team there.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/10/25/7071219/tampa-bay-rays-stadium-talks-montreal

Montréal is a best a AA city.

Online HalfSmokes

Somehow I see the council calling their bluff

Offline DPMOmaha

Montréal is a best a AA city.
Give them a reasonable product, they'll support it. I have no doubt of that.

Offline monkeyhit

Reasonable product?  They had the best team in baseball and snubbed their noses at it.  They don't deserve a second chance. Purely a hockey and CFL joint.

Offline DPMOmaha

Reasonable product?  They had the best team in baseball and snubbed their noses at it.  They don't deserve a second chance. Purely a hockey and CFL joint.
No they didn't. Their attendance increased steadily that year as it became apparent they had a competitive team. In the early 80's when they were fielding consistently competitive teams, their attendance was top 5 in the league. When they fielded a crap team, they got crap attendance. Not that different from most other markets, really.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Until someone finds a loophole in that Trop lease, i don't see this happening.  But yes, it would be great to have a Montreal team in with toronto and NYY.  It would be 4 of the Original 6.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Until someone finds a loophole in that Trop lease, i don't see this happening.  But yes, it would be great to have a Montreal team in with toronto and NYY.  It would be 4 of the Original 6.

Throw in Chicago and Detroit too.   

Offline whytev

The attendance records of the Expos, even when they were good, say otherwise.

Offline whytev

No they didn't. Their attendance increased steadily that year as it became apparent they had a competitive team. In the early 80's when they were fielding consistently competitive teams, their attendance was top 5 in the league. When they fielded a crap team, they got crap attendance. Not that different from most other markets, really.

They won 94 games in 1993. It wouldn't take any other market that long to figure it out.

Offline DPMOmaha

They won 94 games in 1993. It wouldn't take any other market that long to figure it out.
If you hadn't been good in a while, like the Expos hadn't been, it might. Royals for example won 86 games last year and struggled to draw this year. Not quite as good as the Expos, but they had a competitive team and it didn't translate right away the next season. It will next year, though.
The attendance records of the Expos, even when they were good, say otherwise.
no they don't. They were top five in attendance when they were good and would have been in 1995 if they hadn't had to destroy that team. They were drawing 30K plus by the end of that season.

Offline spidernat

They're Canadians so you have to cut them a break.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
They're Canadians so you have to cut them a break.

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that like Denver attendance?

Offline whytev

If you hadn't been good in a while, like the Expos hadn't been, it might. Royals for example won 86 games last year and struggled to draw this year. Not quite as good as the Expos, but they had a competitive team and it didn't translate right away the next season. It will next year, though. no they don't. They were top five in attendance when they were good and would have been in 1995 if they hadn't had to destroy that team. They were drawing 30K plus by the end of that season.

They were winners in 1992 as well.

Offline DPMOmaha

They were winners in 1992 as well.
I'm aware of that. I followed the team at the time.

Offline whytev

I'm aware of that. I followed the team at the time.

So did I and I sure saw a lot of empty seats.

I agree a non-fire-sale-and-strike 1995 would have looked very different. But it took me and a lot of others a long time to get past what happened. It soured baseball for a lot of people. Handing that city a team now...I dunno.

Also the league is moving away from artificial turn wherever possible.

Offline DPMOmaha

So did I and I sure saw a lot of empty seats.

I agree a non-fire-sale-and-strike 1995 would have looked very different. But it took me and a lot of others a long time to get past what happened. It soured baseball for a lot of people. Handing that city a team now...I dunno.

Also the league is moving away from artificial turn wherever possible.
You're closer to the situation that I was, obviously, but I'm fairly certain that a good product would be well received in Montreal.

I think if baseball moved back, it'd be under the condition that a new stadium be build. That'd be a natural surface, but they might have to deal with a season or two in Stade Olympique.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Just don't bring back that M logo.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Montreal had a team. They didn't go to games. They don't deserve crap.