Author Topic: Red Sox to Pursue Trade for Harper.  (Read 11898 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Red Sox to Pursue Trade for Harper.
« Reply #50: October 25, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
" Mookie burst onto the scene this past season and handled all of the spotlight and the hype surrounding him swimmingly."   

How can any article with this kind of prose be taken seriously?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #51: October 25, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
OP has 1ol at the end of his name, pretty fitting. Solid thread, would read again.

Offline Clever

« Reply #52: October 25, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
Lock dis crap.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #53: October 25, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
They could trade us pitching prospects?  Sounds like just what we need!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #54: October 25, 2014, 10:14:20 AM »
" Mookie burst onto the scene this past season and handled all of the spotlight and the hype surrounding him swimmingly."   

How can any article with this kind of prose be taken seriously?

I actually thought the same thing.  :lmao:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #55: October 25, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »

That offer, I would consider. Anything less, I would not.

No they'd have to throw in Ted Williams.  They do still have the rights to his head?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #56: October 25, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
This article is pretty much the perfect example for why everyone hates the Red Sox.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #57: October 25, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
You're kind to assume he's talked to anyone in the redsox front office
My thinking is that it is a reasonable theory that Boston is "eager to work out a deal for Harper" and that he might have some inside source who said that.  But to say that the Nats are eager to trade Harper just tells me that he's making it up as he goes along.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #58: October 25, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

I guess my white privilege gets in the way.

I don't know you but it's hard for me to understand how some (primarily white) people can live in the DC area and be totally oblivious of the African American influence on the city's culture, economy, politics, etc.. It's as if they live in ther own world.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #59: October 25, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »
'Boston Manager John Farrell has said time and time again that he and General Manager Ben Cherington will be in “hot pursuit” of left-handed bats to add to the core of their lineup, and none may be more fitting than that of the twenty-two year old “phenom” Bryce Harper.'

I wasn't going to harp any further on this, but the above is the sort of journalistic trash that makes my blood boil.

First,the use of quotations on "hot pursuit" and "phenon".  Quoting "hot pursuit", the casual reader will infer that he actually said "hot pursuit", in the (imaginary) quote.  "Phenom" is quoted because it is slang, but again, the casual reader will similarly infer that he used that term, which I seriously doubt.

But worst, the sentence construction is deliberately crafted to deceive.  If he had said:

'Boston Manager John Farrell has said time and time again that he and General Manager Ben Cherington will be in hot pursuit of left-handed bats to add to the core of their lineup.  None may be more fitting than that of the twenty-two year old “phenom” Bryce Harper.'

That would have at least been more honest.  But crafting it into a single sentence, and making it seem like a paraphrased-quote, is an attempt to make it seem as if he not only said that the want a left handed bat, but that he also said explicitly that they are targeting Harper, which I am certain he didn't say.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: October 25, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
We can trade them his brother

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #61: October 25, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »
I don't know you but it's hard for me to understand how some (primarily white) people can live in the DC area and be totally oblivious of the African American influence on the city's culture, economy, politics, etc.. It's as if they live in ther own world.

I have no clue, I live in Cumberland Md... We're almost WV :lol: It's not hard to be oblivious to it when you're only there for a baseball game once or twice a year.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #62: October 25, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
I have no clue, I live in Cumberland Md... We're almost WV :lol: It's not hard to be oblivious to it when you're only there for a baseball game once or twice a year.

No big deal. Some people live in the northwest part of the city and have no clue either.  :o

Offline Dave301

« Reply #63: October 25, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
No big deal. Some people live in the northwest part of the city and have no clue either.  :o

That's funny. I was just glancing over the Northwest Journal, or whatever you call it, yesterday. They call it a neighborhood newspaper, as if NW is one big separate community. I guess it is in some ways.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #64: October 25, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
Reminds me of the type of things you hear from Yankee fans. Before last season, a guy called into MLB radio and declared that the Yankees should put a package together for Jose Bautista, then assumed that he could be had for little in return. These types just live in the world where their team can simply go out and buy whatever they want. Why bother going for Harper? Perhaps the Sox should go after Mike Trout.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #65: October 25, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »
Both?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #66: October 25, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
Reminds me of the type of things you hear from Yankee fans. Before last season, a guy called into MLB radio and declared that the Yankees should put a package together for Jose Bautista, then assumed that he could be had for little in return. These types just live in the world where their team can simply go out and buy whatever they want. Why bother going for Harper? Perhaps the Sox should go after Mike Trout.

but the article says they want a lefty bat

Offline PC

« Reply #67: October 25, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
Mike Stanton should be available.  Go for the trifecta.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #68: October 25, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
but the article says they want a lefty bat

bah, you beat me to this joke=)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #69: October 25, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
Discuss below.

http://baseballhotcorner.com/red-sox-pursue-trade-bryce-harper/

No way.  I'll read the rest of the thread, but I can't believe this.  The Red Sox need to use their depth for starting pitching, and there's no way they can make 2 big deals.  If you said to me Jordan Zimmermann, I might believe it.  Swihart and a pitcher like Johnson would probably do it.  Harper is a Boras client and they just lost Ellsbury because they could not extend.  So Harper would be for 4 years.  I don't think he is a longer term piece for the Sox.  Plus, the Nats need more left handed power as it is.  Unless the Nats are thinking about bringing back ALR and moving RZ to left, this will leave them with Span (slap hitter)and no other lefty for any power.  I don't believe this guy has sources other than Nick Carfardo or maybe a caller on Dennis and Callahan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: October 25, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
Also:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Well, charitably speaking, Betts has position versatility and could play 2d for 6 years.  Not so charitably speaking, the writer probably noticed Betts is an African-American and say, "DC, oh he'll fit in well."  I'm not inclined to be charitable to this idiot.  Sounds more like a caller to D & C.  Even Cafardo isn't this dumb.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: October 25, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
The "DC Market?" Is that code for black people?
bingo

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: October 25, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
What the heck is Baseball Hot Corner and why are we paying attention to the stupidity written there? :shrug:
you get it.  this is such a crock fanboy piece.  really embarrassing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: October 25, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
I don't know how desperate the Red Sox are for a left-handed power hitter, but I know that with Adam LaRoche gone the Nationals also desperately need a left-handed power hitter in the lineup, and our best bet is to hope that Harper can develop into that role.
:clap: 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74: October 25, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
Boston should sign Luke Scott, he fits their market
he hates boston, too