Author Topic: Red Sox to Pursue Trade for Harper.  (Read 11899 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Red Sox to Pursue Trade for Harper.
« Reply #25: October 24, 2014, 07:11:13 PM »
^ As long as they take Drew "freaking choke artist" Storen too.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #26: October 24, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
I really don't think Harper's some untradeable god of baseball like some people do, although props to him for actually showing up in the postseason. Doesn't matter though because Rizzo would never trade him. He's up there in the in the ranks of players like Stras, Span, and Desmondosa who Rizzo adore and would like watching run a train on the Mrs.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #27: October 24, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #28: October 24, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
Harper has not even begun to reach his potential. Why even think about trading him?

Plus he puts asses in the seats.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #29: October 24, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Absolutely. It also shows they have no clue about the DC fanbase.

:?

Seriously, didn't even come to mind. I don't look for I guess racial implications in everything. Now that it's mentioned, I can see where that could be implied.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #30: October 24, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
Harper has not even begun to reach his potential. Why even think about trading him?

Plus he puts asses in the seats.

So does winning

Offline Slateman

« Reply #31: October 24, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
I really don't think Harper's some untradeable god of baseball like some people do, although props to him for actually showing up in the postseason. Doesn't matter though because Rizzo would never trade him. He's up there in the in the ranks of players like Stras, Span, and Desmondosa who Rizzo adore and would like watching run a train on the Mrs.
I agree with this. I don' tthink Harper is some sort of MVP candidate. He might get to 40 home runs once, but more than likely we've seen what he is. .270 hitter with 25 homers, average defense, and 15-20 stolen bases with a sub 75% stealing rate.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #32: October 24, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
What about the tears?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #33: October 24, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
What the heck is Baseball Hot Corner and why are we paying attention to the stupidity written there? :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: October 24, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
The stupidest part of the article is in the last sentence  "there is definitely mutual interest in a deal being hammered out,"  which indicates that the writer never even bothered to talk to any Nationals official.

You're kind to assume he's talked to anyone in the redsox front office

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: October 24, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
I agree with this. I don' tthink Harper is some sort of MVP candidate. He might get to 40 home runs once, but more than likely we've seen what he is. .270 hitter with 25 homers, average defense, and 15-20 stolen bases with a sub 75% stealing rate.

Somehow I don't see Harper failing to improve. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #36: October 24, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »

Is it weird that that didn't even enter my mind?

DC's population is now 50% African American. Let's just say some people are more aware of that than others.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: October 24, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
Somehow I don't see Harper failing to improve. 
I don't think it will be a failure to improve so much as a failure to become consistent. He is completely overwhelmed by his emotions when he plays. Which is great . . . when he's hot. But when he's not, he enters some sort of dark hole and it takes him forever to dig himself out.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #38: October 24, 2014, 08:42:27 PM »
DC's population is now 50% African American. Let's just say some people are more aware of that than others.

Gonna go all Ferguson?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #39: October 24, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
You're kind to assume he's talked to anyone in the redsox front office

Exactly. He's probably a fanboi wishing that to happen.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #40: October 24, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
is it just me or does this girl have 6 fingers? You can see 5 and it looks like her thumb is tucked in.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #41: October 24, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »
the only meme on the intrawebz today?

I hope we at least get Ted Williams out of this deal

Rats!!! I was just thinking that Boston could offer the rights to Ted Williams. Maybe throw in Jackie Jenson, Joe Cronin, and Yaz.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #42: October 25, 2014, 12:19:53 AM »
I don't think it will be a failure to improve so much as a failure to become consistent. He is completely overwhelmed by his emotions when he plays. Which is great . . . when he's hot. But when he's not, he enters some sort of dark hole and it takes him forever to dig himself out.

He's also just turned 22. It would be one thing if he was entering his fourth season at 26 or so but hell, he's done more already than a lot of players will ever do. To say he is who we think he is or whatever is incredibly short sighted. Much like saying he'd be the next Mickey Mantle was.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #43: October 25, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »

I guess my white privilege gets in the way.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #44: October 25, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »
He's also just turned 22. It would be one thing if he was entering his fourth season at 26 or so but hell, he's done more already than a lot of players will ever do. To say he is who we think he is or whatever is incredibly short sighted. Much like saying he'd be the next Mickey Mantle was.

22, 26, 33 .... it doesn't matter. He is who he is and no one can tell him different.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #45: October 25, 2014, 12:47:01 AM »
I don't know how desperate the Red Sox are for a left-handed power hitter, but I know that with Adam LaRoche gone the Nationals also desperately need a left-handed power hitter in the lineup, and our best bet is to hope that Harper can develop into that role.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #46: October 25, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »
Now Strasburg, that's who they should trade to Boston in exchange for a big haul.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #47: October 25, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
I can understand why Boston might want to "pursue talks with the Nats about Harper", but this deal is something like George Preston Marshall's "attempt" to bring a black player to his segregated Redskins in 1960 or '61. "We have an offer in for Bobby Mitchell", Marshall said. "We've offered M.C. Reynolds", third string QB.

Led Shirley Povich to record several Vaudeville jokes about the many who "almost" had Man-o-War, the triple crown racehorse. "I asked the man to give me that horse. I was THAT close Just one word".

"What did he say?"

"He said 'no', but he had said 'yes', I've had that horse".

Shirley is looking down and laughing. Shirley Povich still knows baseball, and he died about 1997.

Offline sph274

« Reply #48: October 25, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »
Dc had been a majority black city since the early 60's, and in the seventies and eighties the population of african americans in city was around 71%. anybody that starts talking about "the dc market" is talking about black people. that sentence in itself discredits this guy. seriously it is if like i had lots of time and money on my hands and knew how to create a website. somebody from wnff could have wrote this. honestly would not be surprised if this guy wrote this thing and spammed it out to message boards to create page hits. OP wrote this article and we all just read it. So Frank, if you stuck around to actually read the comments written, i hope you took them all personally

Offline blue911

« Reply #49: October 25, 2014, 07:20:16 AM »
Boston should sign Luke Scott, he fits their market