Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 4  (Read 131655 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: National League Division Series, Game 4
« Reply #25: October 07, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
The bad guys won
off topic.. who won last night between the dodgers and the cards?

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #26: October 07, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Isn't Gio our only starter who has not gotten in on the complete game shut out action this season? Tonite might be a great time to take care of that.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #27: October 07, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
The bad guys won

That could go either way.....

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #28: October 07, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »
Cards.

That could go either way.....

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #29: October 07, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
I know. I was just messing with you. I still have not decided which one of them I prefer to take on next. The Dodgers minus Kershaw and Greinke suck.. and the cards make my stomach turn.. But the Dodgers will not be minus Kershaw and Greinke....so... its tough.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #30: October 07, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
Gio said in a recent post game interview that he has been heavily influenced by Doug Fister. I like to think he has become a Fisterian.

I have observed that the tenets of Fisterianism are:

1. Keep a positive attitude
2. Work briskly
3. Act professionally
4. Field your position

We should all become Fisterian.  Let's hope Gio channels Fister again this evening.

I actually like the later start. I can finish up dinner and put the kids to bed and watch the game in peace.

I'm not worried at all about Gio, I think he'll pitch a gem. But I don't trust our bats at all. Yeah we scored 4 runs yesterday but 2 were off a really fluky error on a bunt. Vogelsong's ERA isn't great but it's always these type of mediocre Ps that completely shut us down.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #31: October 07, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »
The advantage of radio - just listen on the bedside radio (I have to get up at 05.15 weekdays myself so this works well for me). Only problem is, one tends to drift off to sleep (especially in my current case with all the meds I'm taking - slept through the Ramos bunt last night).

Yeah, falling asleep is the main reason I don't regard the bedroom radio as a serious option (much less the bedroom TV, since we use an antenna on that TV).

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #32: October 07, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
Yeah, falling asleep is the main reason I don't regard the bedroom radio as a serious option (much less the bedroom TV, since we use an antenna on that TV).

I can watch a game, get over a loss, then sleep. If I listen bedside and they lose, I just cannot get to sleep. For hours.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #33: October 07, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »
Gio said in a recent post game interview that he has been heavily influenced by Doug Fister. I like to think he has become a Fisterian.

I have observed that the tenets of Fisterianism are:

1. Keep a positive attitude
2. Work briskly
3. Act professionally
4. Field your position

We should all become Fisterian.  Let's hope Gio channels Fister again this evening.

You can't quantify the effect Fister has had on this team.  The Lerners better get their checkbooks ready (yes I know, LAC etc etc).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #34: October 07, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
You can't quantify the effect Fister has had on this team.  The Lerners better get their checkbooks ready (yes I know, LAC etc etc).

I agree and that's the main reason I can't believe Detroit didn't fire their GM, I mean they had Fister!! And they traded him!!! Omgosh Rizzo absolutely stole this guy!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #35: October 07, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
Gio needs to focus on number one and stop getting emotional whenever something goes wrong.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #36: October 07, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
Gio needs to focus on number one and stop getting emotional whenever something goes wrong.

He was a much different guy in his last few starts.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #37: October 07, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
Tread carefully San Francisco, you don't want to rouse this sleeping dog.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: October 07, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
good thing i'm in PDT zone today.  Go Nats!!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: October 07, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »

and be careful not to step in #2.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #40: October 07, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
This one is going back to DC for Game 5.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah it is!!

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #41: October 07, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
He was a much different guy in his last few starts.

Yeah - much more stone faced, business like. His last outing I don't know that I saw him shake off a signal once.
catch, set, see signal, go, repeat - and it was awesome.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #42: October 07, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
There are only 2 guys on our team that I trust to have the mental toughness to pitch in an elimination situation and they have already pitched this series. Fister started out on shaky ground last night and still managed to go 7 scoreless. That takes balls of steel. Gio's are still aluminum. I hope Roark is ready to go because it may be a Gio/Roark tag team match. I dont care what we have to do to stay alive.

And when we get back to Washington please give the ball to JZIMM game 5... please.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: October 07, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
BP summary:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24811

There is an ongoing trend thus far in this series, in which the team with the superior starter on the mound has lost each of the past three games. If that trend continues, then the Giants will be uncorking the champagne after a defeat of Gio Gonzalez and the Nats, though PECOTA sees Washington overcoming San Francisco's home field advantage to bring things back to D.C. for a Game Five. Here is a look at the PECOTA odds and projected lineups for Game Four of the NLDS.

Nationals (Gio Gonzalez) at Giants (Ryan Vogelsong), Tuesday, 9:07 pm EST
PECOTA odds of winning: Nationals 53.3%, Giants 46.6%

Injury/Availability Notes: Pablo Sandoval was banged up via the infamous sacrifice of Game Three that gave the game to the Nats, and it's possible that he comes off the bench rather than play the full game against a southpaw starter. Jeremy Affeldt has appeared in all three games for San Francisco, though he has thrown just 23 pitches over the last four days (including three tosses in Monday's contest), so he is likely available for some LOOGY work at the least. Yusmeiro Petit is probably a non-option after tossing 80 pitches in Saturday's marathon, but Tim Lincecum has yet to be used and could be an emergency replacement if Vogelsong falters. Craig Stammen threw 50 pitches across the first two games, though he should be available for a short outing after two days of rest. Ryan Zimmerman will likely remain in the pinch-hitting role for Game Four, after failing to draw the start against a lefty in Game Three; otherwise the Nats will likely trot out the same imposing lineup that they have used for the first three games of the series.    :doh:

Outlook

The Giants have a lot of lefties in their typical lineup, but they will likely make a couple of changes versus Gio Gonzalez. Gio has a nearly-even platoon split for his career, and in fact left-handed bats have hit for a bit more power against him, and many of the Giants regulars have fared well against same-sided pitching (including Joe Panik and Brandon Crawford, albeit in small samples). The likely adjustments include a right-handed outfielder in place of Travis Ishikawa and a shuffling of the batting order, allowing the Giants to split up their lefty bats by putting Hunter Pence closer to the top.

Anthony Rendon has been absolutely on fire for the Nationals, both in this series (nearly one-third of the team's hits) and for the season as a whole. A key for the Nats is for Adam LaRoche and Jayson Werth to pick up the slack and make the most of those opportunities when Rendon sets the table – Werth and LaRoche are a combined 2-for-28 with nine strikeouts and three walks in the series. Similar to his rotation-mates, Gonzalez finished the regular season on a tear; the lefty tore through September with a 2.48 ERA and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 31-to-5, including a final start that featured a dozen strikeouts and just three baserunners across seven frames versus the Mets. Pitching has been the cornerstone of the 2014 Nationals, and the Washington faithful have to hope that the first couple of games were more aberration than indication of events to come

Offline More of #34

« Reply #44: October 07, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
Rendon and Harper and Cabrera have done well hitting.  We really need the big guys, Werth and LaRoche, to show up tonight - they seem to be pressing too much.  If we bring this series back to DC, I think game 5 is ours.  I wish it was game time already - this is the slowest day ever! 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #45: October 07, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
Rendon and Harper and Cabrera have done well hitting.  We really need the big guys, Werth and LaRoche, to show up tonight - they seem to be pressing too much.  If we bring this series back to DC, I think game 5 is ours.  I wish it was game time already - this is the slowest day ever! 

Completely dragginggggggggggggggg...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #46: October 07, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Message to SF:

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #47: October 07, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Don't trust Gio here. Trust Roark so much more.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #48: October 07, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
Completely dragginggggggggggggggg...

The other night was movie night and last night was bowling night, what's tonight?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #49: October 07, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »
The other night was movie night and last night was bowling night, what's tonight?

No obligations to anyone tonight but me thank goodness, nothin' but baseball tonight :woop: