Author Topic: Fire the Umps  (Read 8225 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Fire the Umps
« Reply #75: October 08, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
Hyperbole. But I don't think there's an icon for that.

Sure there is: :blah:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #76: October 08, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
the way he was wrong was atrocious- you have an official at first for a reason

Definitely.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #77: October 08, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »
[quote = VARK]
Sure there is:
[/quote]

FIFY

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #78: October 09, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Occasional mechanical failure vs everyday human failure?  Seems like a solid trade to me.

I know I suggested this several years ago, but why not have the machines/sensor arrays reading the balls and strikes and the umps have a redlight/greenlight HUD inside their masks.  Everything looks the same outwardly, keeps the "human" element, but we have a MUCH higher degree of accuracy and consistency on balls/strikes, and even less reason for players/coaches to argue them, which leads to fewer delays and shorter games.

Make it happen Trashcan Dino!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #80: October 09, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
Occasional mechanical failure vs everyday human failure?  Seems like a solid trade to me.

I know I suggested this several years ago, but why not have the machines/sensor arrays reading the balls and strikes and the umps have a redlight/greenlight HUD inside their masks.  Everything looks the same outwardly, keeps the "human" element, but we have a MUCH higher degree of accuracy and consistency on balls/strikes, and even less reason for players/coaches to argue them, which leads to fewer delays and shorter games.

Yep, I suggested something that beeps in their ears but can still keep the dummies on the field for appearance. It works on so many levels so it's just a matter of time.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #81: October 09, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »
It works on so many levels so it's just a matter of time.
I'm sure the MLBPA and Umpire's Union can't wait to hear your recommendations.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #82: October 09, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

That was the argument against instant replay too but once the credibility of the sport comes into play they will see the light. I'm waiting for a Denkinger moment in the WS when an umpire makes a really bad strike call that costs a team the world championship.

And I will be at the ready when they come calling for my input. :thumbs:

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #83: October 09, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »

And I will be at the ready when they come calling for my input. :thumbs:

I'd hold your breath!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #84: October 09, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »

A Union has one job, to protect the best interest of its members.

Pitch Trax makes home plate umpires look incompetent. It's in their best interest to automate balls and strikes.

Homeplate umpires would still have a job, just for different reasons.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: October 09, 2014, 02:24:06 PM »

Pitch Trax makes home plate umpires look like incompetent. It's in their best interest to automate balls and strikes.

it's not in their best interest to automate away their jobs

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #86: October 09, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

They would still have jobs

Homeplate umpires do more than just call balls and strikes

I actually think it will end up being done the way TrashCan Dino was talking about - a sensor in the mask only the umpire sees. So technically he's still calling balls and strikes, it's simply the location that's automated - everything else a home plate ump does stays the same. :shrug:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #87: October 09, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »

It's in their best interests to make working conditions bearable for their union members. As their shortcoming get increasingly exposed by modern technology, their jobs will be become unbearable. Like with so many other aspects of life nowadays, they can embrace change or become overtaken by it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #88: October 09, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »

Pitch Trax makes home plate umpires look incompetent. It's in their best interest to automate balls and strikes.

It's also been shown that Pitch Trax is UNRELIABLE in evaluating and the technology is imperfect.  So it does not make umpires look incompetent.  It makes the people looking for absolution in an imperfect system look incompetent.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #89: October 09, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »

It's also been shown that Pitch Trax is UNRELIABLE in evaluating and the technology is imperfect.  So it does not make umpires look incompetent.  It makes the people looking for absolution in an imperfect system look incompetent.

Yeah, but that's what's out there. That's what people see. Every pitch, every day. Perception is reality.

When center cut fastballs are called balls - people just don't care what the technicalities are ...

But we agree - whatever umps are replaced with has to be discernibly better than what they're doing now -

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #90: October 09, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »

Yeah, but that's what's out there. That's what people see. Every pitch, every day. Perception is reality.

When center cut fastballs are called balls - people just don't care what the technicalities are ...

But we agree - whatever umps are replaced with has to be discernibly better than what they're doing now -

(Image removed from quote.)

This. Been saying that for about a dozen posts now.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #91: October 09, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
whatever umps are replaced with has to be discernibly better than what they're doing now -

The numbers don't bear that assertion out, though.

I'm all for replacing umpires IF a better system exists.  Right now, it doesn't.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #92: October 10, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »
I'd hold your breath!

You may have to wait in line...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #94: October 10, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
Joe West is the worst.

http://www.businessweek.com/graphics/baseballs-worst-call-of-the-day/#/umpires/ranking/2014

Maybe those #'s are right but I find it hard to believe that umpires, the best ones, are sitting at 87% accurate. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #95: October 10, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »

I'm all for replacing umpires IF a better system exists.  Right now, it doesn't.

I think we all agree on that. I'd like to think we would also agree that they could develop such a system if they wanted to. The only question is when, in my mind.

To me, the technology is not the issue. It's the players and umps unions, the static mindset of fans, the fear of change, and unknown impacts on hitting and scoring. I'm surprised no one has put those arguments forward, though MDS did surface the unions as a possible obstacle.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #96: October 10, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »
Maybe those #'s are right but I find it hard to believe that umpires, the best ones, are sitting at 87% accurate. 

Those numbers, if accurate, are shocking to me. The drumbeat to replace the incompetent humans will continue to get louder.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #97: October 10, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
You may have to wait in line...

I can pass out numbers like the bakery, if you like. :hysterical:

And then when your number comes up, you will get the service you deserve. :twisted:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: October 10, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »

how many calls are really obvious- swinging miss, ball in the dirt? Throw in the ones they shouldn't miss- balls across the middle of the plate or outside by a few inches, and I think you have the majority of a game. I'd be interested to see if anyone looks at their percentages on balls within 1 inch of the zone- my guess is that it would be a tossup 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #99: October 10, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
how many calls are really obvious- swinging miss, ball in the dirt? Throw in the ones they shouldn't miss- balls across the middle of the plate or outside by a few inches, and I think you have the majority of a game. I'd be interested to see if anyone looks at their percentages on balls within 1 inch of the zone- my guess is that it would be a tossup 
If you look at Brooks baseball and look at the strike zone maps - that's pretty much what you see. Down the middle always a strike. Away from the zone, always a ball. And in between, it's a mix.