Author Topic: Pace of Game  (Read 3601 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Pace of Game
« Topic Start: October 02, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
From ESPN

New rules to be tested out in the Arizona Fall League after recommendations from MLB's pace of game committee:

• Batter's box rule: Hitter required to keep at least one foot in the batter's box throughout at-bat unless there is foul ball, wild pitch or passed ball -- or if a pitch forces him out or the umpire grants "time."

• No-pitch intentional walks

• 20-second rule: 20-second clock will be posted in each dugout, behind home plate and in outfield to prevent pitchers from taking too much time in games at Salt River Fields only.

• 2:05 inning-break clock: Maximum time allowed between innings, and batters must be in box at 1:45 mark or umpire can call automatic strike. If pitcher throws pitch after 2:05, umpire may call ball.

• 2:30 pitching-change-break clock: Maximum amount of time allowed for pitching change.

• Three "timeout" limit: Teams limited to three trips to the mound by managers, coaches and catchers during game, except pitching changes.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. I've got a lot of thoughts I want to put together, but I'll start with how I believe an intentional walk should count towards a pitcher's pitch count and I don't know how that will happen if they just point to first. Plus I can't see limiting total mound visits to three per game (this includes extra innings). crap, I've seen catchers that make more than three mound visits in a single AB. That seems like a really low number.

More of my thoughts to come later.

Offline houston-nat

Re: Pace of Game
« Reply #1: October 02, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »

• 20-second rule: 20-second clock will be posted in each dugout, behind home plate and in outfield to prevent pitchers from taking too much time in games at Salt River Fields only.
Love the 20-second rule. It will also have the effect of destroying the Yankees' and Red Sox' main pitching strategy.

No-pitch intentional walks is a kind of mind-blowing idea. I think one reason I like opposing teams issuing intentional walks is that the pitchers have a harder time throwing strikes afterward.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: October 02, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
eh I don't think it would be good to have a 20 second clock behind home plate. Wouldn't that make pitchers nervous staring down that clock?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #3: October 02, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
eh I don't think it would be good to have a 20 second clock behind home plate. Wouldn't that make pitchers nervous staring down that clock?

Too bad :evil:  Seriously it's a ridiculous amount of time pitchers take, not to mention the batters stepping out after every pitch, play ball already! :oldy:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: October 02, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »

:lmao:

20 seconds is too long. 12 seconds is plenty.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: October 02, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Awful. A bunch of rules lifted out of showcase tournaments trying to cram games in.

That clock is freaking ridiculous. And I don't like slow-paced pitchers but still. One pitch walks are straight out of Babe Ruth fall ball.

Online blue911

« Reply #6: October 02, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
Love the 20-second rule. It will also have the effect of destroying the Yankees' and Red Sox' main pitching strategy.

No-pitch intentional walks is a kind of mind-blowing idea. I think one reason I like opposing teams issuing intentional walks is that the pitchers have a harder time throwing strikes afterward.

I think they should strip the manager of all decision making duties after they issue an intentional walk. Aww and freak it give the next batter a stand up double since that's probably coming anyway

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: October 02, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Does a throw to first reset the 20 seconds? If so, you can still stall a long time one a man reaches base, if not, easy steals

Online blue911

« Reply #8: October 02, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
Tase the bastards if they take too long.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: October 02, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
Don't like the 20 second rule if there are men on base. All the baserunner has to do is wait until there is one second and they get a free head start. Either the  pitcher starts his motion  or he's in violation of the game clock.

I don't think baseball is too long. Football is taking just as much time. I like that baseball doesn't have a clock.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #10: October 02, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Delay of game, number 37. One ball penalty, second down.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: October 02, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »

• Batter's box rule: Hitter required to keep at least one foot in the batter's box throughout at-bat unless there is foul ball, wild pitch or passed ball -- or if a pitch forces him out or the umpire grants "time."

Span  ....   he's our guy but his routine is time wasting at its worst.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: October 02, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
Span  ....   he's our guy but his routine is time wasting at it's worst.
Except it works.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: October 02, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »

what's the penalty if someone steps out?  I don't see this as being enforceable.

• 2:05 inning-break clock: Maximum time allowed between innings, and batters must be in box at 1:45 mark or umpire can call automatic strike. If pitcher throws pitch after 2:05, umpire may call ball.

• 2:30 pitching-change-break clock: Maximum amount of time allowed for pitching change.

• Three "timeout" limit: Teams limited to three trips to the mound by managers, coaches and catchers during game, except pitching changes.

Love the no-pitch intentional walks, can't see how the 20 second clock is enforceable, i don't want pitchers getting distracted.  I'm fine with the 1:45 but what if the pitcher has an issue and needs time?

i like the trip to the mound limit.  Now how about also not letting a manager come out to ask about a play unless he intends to challenge?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #14: October 02, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »
Span  ....   he's our guy but his routine is time wasting at it's worst.

QFT  It's annoying to watch.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #15: October 02, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
The foot-in rule makes more sense than the rest of these. I don't see it flying with people who have Span-esque batting routines, though.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Speeding up the game
« Reply #16: October 02, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: October 02, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
The foot-in rule makes more sense than the rest of these. I don't see it flying with people who have Span-esque batting routines, though.

Don't give him the timeout when he puts his hand up as he gets in the box.

Offline dracnal

Re: Speeding up the game
« Reply #18: October 02, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
While I know the purists like to think Baseball should have no clock and take as long as it takes, I really wouldn't mind seeing some or all of those rules take effect.  It's insane how much time is wasted in the gamesmanship of trying to disrupt pitcher or batter timing.  I love watching Fister pitch - he is there to do a job and he doesn't waste time doing it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #19: October 02, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Don't give him the timeout when he puts his hand up as he gets in the box.

Exactly! These guys started these elaborate routines because they were allowed to, once they realize they're not allowed to anymore they'll stop doing it!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #20: October 02, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
Similar topic open.    Mods may wanna merge.    They love that power.    :P

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=31870.0
JCA Batsignal...

Offline Clever

« Reply #21: October 02, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
I DON'T LIKE IT

Offline santanaf

« Reply #22: October 02, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
The No Pitch INT Walk is horrible.

This saves the pitchers arm, lets them stay in a better rhythm, takes away the change for a crafty batter to take advantage of a sloppy pitcher, and generally makes no sense in the game other than to speed it up, definitely doesn't improve the quality of the game, just makes it faster.

Many of the other items are a good way to save time and keep the game moving with more consistency, not just to speed it up. The batter's foot in the box, making it illegal to pull a Jeter/Span and put your hand up to the up to show a persistent time call, and the 20 second between pitches with nobody on all make sense.

But the No Pitch Walk feels too much like calling "Ghost runner on first!!!" when you don't have enough guys for a whole team.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #23: October 03, 2014, 04:37:14 AM »
So when are the TV networks suppose to show commercials ?

Eliminate the commercials and that will speed up the game

I DON'T LIKE IT

Offline mitlen

« Reply #24: October 03, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »

But the No Pitch Walk feels too much like calling "Ghost runner on first!!!" when you don't have enough guys for a whole team.

Now there's a flashback.