Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1  (Read 30355 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Mets @ Nationals Game 1
« Reply #350: September 23, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
Actually, freak all this hockey nonsense - GO NATS!!!  WOOO! 

Offline whytev

« Reply #351: September 23, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
OK, I'll bite...Whytev, what's with the Canucks hate?

They're fans are possibly the worst cross-section of humanity.

To be fair, I grew up liking the Flames, and I'm sure if I ever went to Calgary and interacted with their redneck fans, I would have hated them too, but the proud history of whining losers just make me run the other way when I see whichever stupid logo they happen to be wearing at any given time.

Offline whytev

« Reply #352: September 23, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
Actually, freak all this hockey nonsense - GO NATS!!!  WOOO!

Absolutely freak hockey.  I am a one sport man.

freak all you football fans too wringing your hands about the Redskins.  Save it for November, suckers.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #353: September 23, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »

To be fair, I grew up liking the Flames, and I'm sure if I ever went to Calgary and interacted with their redneck fans, I would have hated them too, but the proud history of whining losers just make me run the other way when I see whichever stupid logo they happen to be wearing at any given time.
Canucks do throw a good post game riot though.

Offline whytev

« Reply #354: September 23, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »
Canucks do throw a good post game riot though.

That doesn't help.  What a disgusting stain on this city that team is.

Offline whytev

« Reply #355: September 23, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »
That doesn't help.  What a disgusting stain on this city that team is.

Nothing against the players though.  They're mostly nice enough.  It's the fans.

Other highlights include tagging an opposing player's parents' church:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1072212-canucks-fans-vandalise-church-of-bruins-milan-lucic-in-vancouver

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #356: September 23, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
Can I take credit for this win since it was my first (albeit lacklustre) GDT for the year.
I'm now a perfect 2-0 when creating the game thread. Maybe I should do it every day

• babble on
« Reply #357: September 23, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »
You will definitely be tapped for long relief in the big games.
Can I take credit for this win since it was my first (albeit lacklustre) GDT for the year.
I'm now a perfect 2-0 when creating the game thread. Maybe I should do it every day

• babble on
« Reply #358: September 23, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »
When you get right down to it, looked at objectively, sports fans writ large are really freaking stupid when their teams are doing well. 

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #359: September 23, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
You will definitely be tapped for long relief in the big games.

Craig "Aussie" Stammen

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #360: September 23, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »
freak all you football fans too wringing your hands about the Redskins.  Save it for November, suckers.

:clap:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #361: September 23, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
Absolutely freak hockey.  I am a one sport man.

So, it's still early?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #362: September 24, 2014, 01:02:39 AM »
Might be irrelevant to you. It sure as is relevant to us. As far as Twins fans go, their first pennant was in 1965 and their first world championship was in 1987.

That franchise doesn't fly a flag celebrating the championship the actually won in 1924. We do over the right field scoreboard, along with the pennant winning years of 1925 and 1933 when we lost the World Series.

I have no problem with Expos fans discussing the history of their franchise here. I do have a problem with them--or anybody else--saying that the baseball history that took here doesn't count. This isn't going to happen, but if the Canadiens were ever to uproot and go to another city, and then get replaced by a new franchise, I think most Habs would consider the new team a continuation of the old one, regardless of whether it bore the old name or logo.

This is where I and many Washington baseball fans stand. We don't have to agree, but if you are going to complain every time somebody invokes the old Senators---particularly the 1924 Nats---we aren't going to get along very well.

:clap:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #363: September 24, 2014, 01:04:04 AM »

That's hilarious.  :lmao:

Offline whytev

« Reply #364: September 24, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
That's hilarious.  :lmao:

Ugh I edited that sentence and left the wrong "Their" in. Jetlag.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1
« Reply #365: September 24, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »
Nope. Washington was always a southern city, for better or worse. The Mason-Dixon Line separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. The District was carved out of chunk of Maryland, swamp land a few miles up the Potomac from the home of George Washington.

Washington was carved out of a piece of VA as well.    VA got (or was given back depending on your history) its part back in 1846/47 and it is now called Arlington.   It may have been a "southern" city but it was the capital of the Union.    We all know how that worked out.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #366: September 24, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
As an "outsider" (lived near and followed another team as a kid) and recent Washington baseball fan (45 year resident), I saw the old Senators play.    I have many of their players' baseball cards.     However to this fan, the Senators have nothing to do with the Nats.    They're Minnesota and Texas.    Frankly, I don't think the Nationals have anything to do with Montreal.     It was all new in '05.    I think you remember the history but there's no reason for me to celebrate it.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #367: September 24, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
I'm going to make one promise to whytev. There is one thing you will NEVER hear from me. Although for most baseball fans in Washington, the Montreal Expos mean nothing, I'm not going to say that for the sake of fans like you who cheered for the Expos. And should the Nationals advance to meet the Dodgers in the NLCS, and this matchup (for most Nats fans) will only mean we're facing the most prestigious team in the National League, you can damn be sure I'll remind folks that from the perspective of THIS FRANCHISE, the Nats have unfinished business with the Dodgers going back 33 years when the Expos made their only playoff appearance in Montreal and losing to the Dodgers in the 1981 NLCS.

Speaking of the Dodgers, Dodger Stadium was the site of a memorable pitching milestone in the history of the Nats/Expos franchise that NEVER happened while a team was based in Washington, DC. No, not even when Walter Johnson was playing. The original Nats were on the wrong side of this milestone twice in their history---after they moved to Minnesota. Their successor managed to achieve it twenty years ago long after moving to Arlington. (No, Nolan Ryan wasn't pitching.)

I am of course referring to a perfect game which Dennis "El Presidente" Martínez pitched on July 28, 1991. (Coincidentally, the next one pitched by Texas Ranger Kenny Rogers---no relation to the singer in the GEICO commercials---happened on the same day three years later.)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #368: September 24, 2014, 08:28:58 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals notched their 92nd win, each season:

2012 - 22nd September (151st match of season)
2014 - 23rd September (156th match)
---
2013 - finished 86-76
2005 - finished 81-81
2011 - finished 80-81
2007 - finished 73-89
2006 - finished 71-91
2010 - finished 69-93
2008 - finished 59-102
2009 - finished 59-103

Offline spidernat

« Reply #369: September 24, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »
I'll remind folks that from the perspective of THIS FRANCHISE, the Nats have unfinished business with the Dodgers going back 33 years when the Expos made their only playoff appearance in Montreal and losing to the Dodgers in the 1981 NLCS.

:hysterical:  :crazy:

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #370: September 24, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »
As an "outsider" (lived near and followed another team as a kid) and recent Washington baseball fan (45 year resident), I saw the old Senators play.    I have many of their players' baseball cards.     However to this fan, the Senators have nothing to do with the Nats.    They're Minnesota and Texas.    Frankly, I don't think the Nationals have anything to do with Montreal.     It was all new in '05.    I think you remember the history but there's no reason for me to celebrate it.
Life long MD resident born in DC. Yes technically the Senators have nothing to do with the current Nats, but as a fan of the Senators and someone who drifted away from baseball for a while because there was NO DC Baseball for over 30 years I still embrace the Senators history and the essence of Washington Baseball. It is weird even though technically The Nationals are the relocated Expos and the team likes to embrace the Montreal history I don't feel like it (the current Nationals) is the same team (Expos). Even though the last roster of the Expos (2004) was virtually the Inaugural Nationals team (2005) as you said it was all new in '05. To me The Senators (both teams that are now Twins and Rangers) and The current Nationals are The Washington Baseball Team. Actually 3 different teams but all The Washington Team. Unrelated in all ways except where they played. The Twins and The Rangers were The Senators but once they moved they changed. If the Nationals up and returned to Montreal next year to revert back to being the Expos, I would consider them yet another different team and hope that a New Nationals team was formed for me to follow. So to me I think it is more a matter of the spirit or essence of the team while it is playing in DC. I embrace Washington Baseball no matter what the team name. Its a Homie thing.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #371: September 24, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
I became a fan of this franchise in 1992 when they were the Montreal Expos. They were an exciting young team very similar to this years Nats team. Alou, Walker, Pedro, Grissom... great starting pitching, great relief pitching and a power offense. A lot of similarities between the two.

After that team was dismantled following the 94 season... I suffered through a decade of LEAN years with the only real highlight being Vladimir Guerrero. When they moved to Washington I went out and bought a Nats Vidro jersey that I still wear on special occasions and will wear during a playoff game. (Actually in '12 I wore it while watching every game vs. Cards... didn't wash it)

Anyway... The Expos are the reason I'm a Nats fan.. so for me the memory and the connection will always be there. However my team is the Washington Nationals and if Montreal were to ever get another MLB Team, I would still be a Nats fan 100%.

Offline whytev

« Reply #372: September 24, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »
I'm going to make one promise to whytev. There is one thing you will NEVER hear from me. Although for most baseball fans in Washington, the Montreal Expos mean nothing, I'm not going to say that for the sake of fans like you who cheered for the Expos. And should the Nationals advance to meet the Dodgers in the NLCS, and this matchup (for most Nats fans) will only mean we're facing the most prestigious team in the National League, you can damn be sure I'll remind folks that from the perspective of THIS FRANCHISE, the Nats have unfinished business with the Dodgers going back 33 years when the Expos made their only playoff appearance in Montreal and losing to the Dodgers in the 1981 NLCS.

Speaking of the Dodgers, Dodger Stadium was the site of a memorable pitching milestone in the history of the Nats/Expos franchise that NEVER happened while a team was based in Washington, DC. No, not even when Walter Johnson was playing. The original Nats were on the wrong side of this milestone twice in their history---after they moved to Minnesota. Their successor managed to achieve it twenty years ago long after moving to Arlington. (No, Nolan Ryan wasn't pitching.)

I am of course referring to a perfect game which Dennis "El Presidente" Martínez pitched on July 28, 1991. (Coincidentally, the next one pitched by Texas Ranger Kenny Rogers---no relation to the singer in the GEICO commercials---happened on the same day three years later.)

I remember that perfect game like it was yesterday. I loved Martínez!

• babble on
« Reply #373: September 24, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
I am wearing a Vidro shirt at this very moment
I became a fan of this franchise in 1992 when they were the Montreal Expos. They were an exciting young team very similar to this years Nats team. Alou, Walker, Pedro, Grissom... great starting pitching, great relief pitching and a power offense. A lot of similarities between the two.

After that team was dismantled following the 94 season... I suffered through a decade of LEAN years with the only real highlight being Vladimir Guerrero. When they moved to Washington I went out and bought a Nats Vidro jersey that I still wear on special occasions and will wear during a playoff game. (Actually in '12 I wore it while watching every game vs. Cards... didn't wash it)

Anyway... The Expos are the reason I'm a Nats fan.. so for me the memory and the connection will always be there. However my team is the Washington Nationals and if Montreal were to ever get another MLB Team, I would still be a Nats fan 100%.

Offline whytev

« Reply #374: September 24, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

We have almost the same story. But we didn't have Pedro yet in 1992. I remember being sad when DeShields got traded until I saw Pedro throw...