Author Topic: "Resilience"  (Read 502 times)

Offline vernon337

"Resilience"
« Topic Start: September 17, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
I was struck by Denard Span's answer when Kolko asked him what defined the team.

This really is a sport where those who succeed have to be willing to persevere and bounce back from the setbacks.

I think this team might have even more than the  normal share of players who have had to show resilience to get to this point:
  • Harper and Strasburg are the least of these.  But they are in a much different place than they were in 2012, when they were still the golden children of the franchise. 
  • There's Rendon, whose injuries cast huge doubts over his future.
  • There are Frandsen and Schierholtz, who were kicked off two of the league's most terrible teams this year.
  • There are Detwiler and Espinosa, who had to learn to deal with demotion.
  • There are Werth and Span, who each had to deal with injuries that appeared for a time to have ended their careers.
  • There is Zimmerman, who has had to deal with the deterioration of  his shoulder.
  • There is Ramos, who has had to deal with ... what hasn't he had to deal with?
  • Roark, who persevered when there was little reason to.
  • Barrett, who almost quit before he got started.
  • Storen
That's quite a list.  I don't know if it's normal for an MLB team, but it doesn't feel like our last few years have had this many stories of this kind. 

One hopes that each of these players will be that much tougher in the playoffs as a result of these various tests.  And beyond that, just think of how much more experienced and battle-tested each of the following players is compared to where they were in October 2012:
Strasburg
Zimmermann
Detwiler
Clippard
Stammen
Storen
Desmond
Harper
(Rendon?)

So many of these players are in the heart of their careers, still in their twenties but with at least a couple of full seasons in the majors.  From that perspective, this  team is right where it should be to contend for a World Series.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: "Resilience"
« Reply #1: September 17, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
Great post. Williams often used "tenacity" to refer to this team.

Can't effing wait for the postseason now that I got some more tickets this morning. Great timing right after the clinch.

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: September 17, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
All of that is true, but this team is also really, really talented. Even the reserves. Most teams that lose what the Nats did have seasons like the Rangers, who were not nearly supposed to be as terrible as they were. There was a point not that along ago where the Nats and Rangers were 1 and 2 in terms of games lost to the DL. That the Nats are in the running for the best record in the NL speaks to the depth of the organization.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #3: September 17, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
All of that is true, but this team is also really, really talented. Even the reserves. Most teams that lose what the Nats did have seasons like the Rangers, who were not nearly supposed to be as terrible as they were. There was a point not that along ago where the Nats and Rangers were 1 and 2 in terms of games lost to the DL. That the Nats are in the running for the best record in the NL speaks to the depth of the organization.

Yeah, I think Werth, when asked by Kolko the major reason for Matt Williams' success, said something to the effect of "he had a lot of talent."

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: September 17, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
To mix some metaphors, Asdrubel is a guy who grabbed a liferaft and ran with it.  This is a former all star, heading into arbitration, having an off year at the plate, playing for a marginal contender that was really looking to see how its next generation of MIs could play, who was traded to play a position he had not played in several years and maybe serve as a platoon with Espi, who delivered big hit after big hit and played superb defense down the stretch, thereby making sure he gets :money: next year.  Call it a salary drive, but that does not explain his first 4 months. 

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: September 17, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
To mix some metaphors, Asdrubel is a guy who grabbed a liferaft and ran with it.  This is a former all star, heading into arbitration, having an off year at the plate, playing for a marginal contender that was really looking to see how its next generation of MIs could play, who was traded to play a position he had not played in several years and maybe serve as a platoon with Espi, who delivered big hit after big hit and played superb defense down the stretch, thereby making sure he gets :money: next year.  Call it a salary drive, but that does not explain his first 4 months. 
Everyone wins in that scenario.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: September 17, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Yeah, I think Werth, when asked by Kolko the major reason for Matt Williams' success, said something to the effect of "he had a lot of talent."

When he said that I  :spit:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #7: September 17, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
When he said that I  :spit:

I think Williams has said as much. We all know that it takes the horses to win. The value of managers is overrated.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #8: September 17, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »
It was kind of fitting that Astrubel made the last play last night......with a HUGE smile on his face.