Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1  (Read 17842 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #675: September 05, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
These decisions aren't made by the manager.  Especially a rookie manager. This involves the GM due to contracts, money, agents etc. The best shot of the night was seeing Soriano on the mound with Williams pacing in the dugout. Clearly he, Knorr, and McCatty were stressed out and have been. Ni way they don't see what everyone else sees. There is a reality about dealing with a high paid closer who has had the role. The business side has a lot to say. It is like benching a quarterback.

Think of how stressed he makes us! I can't imagine how they feel.

Offline Traded For Mclain

« Reply #676: September 05, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
If they were to make a change I think Storen becomes the closer.  That said I'll believe there's a change when I see it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #677: September 05, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »
These decisions aren't made by the manager.  Especially a rookie manager. This involves the GM due to contracts, money, agents etc. The best shot of the night was seeing Soriano on the mound with Williams pacing in the dugout. Clearly he, Knorr, and McCatty were stressed out and have been. Ni way they don't see what everyone else sees. There is a reality about dealing with a high paid closer who has had the role. The business side a lot to say. It is like benching a quarterback.
But he's gone after the season. freak him. Pay him the remaining money owed and tell him to get the freak off the team.

You really think he has to consult Rizzo to make the change?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #678: September 06, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »
Think of how stressed he makes us! I can't imagine how they feel.

Ray made that point as well.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #679: September 06, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »
Soriano since July 28:

15.1 IP, 8.22 ERA

It's time to get Storen back in there.  We're now talking about a bad streak of over a month for a team that has the talent to go deep in the postseason.  Can't have that kind of performance out there.

I agree fix IT NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE. Soriano just DAMN SUCKS NUTS

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #680: September 06, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »

I think Rizzo already put Sorriano on a short leash and Matty is now yanking his chain...

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #681: September 06, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
But he's gone after the season. freak him. Pay him the remaining money owed and tell him to get the freak off the team.

Even if he does it's 3 weeks pay.  BFD kick his ass to the curb.

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #682: September 06, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »
Oh well, something good from this debacle surely comes. Too bad Soriano couldn't keep it together. But he's come undone.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #683: September 06, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »
Damn this freaking team and their Friday night meltdowns. It's happened so many times over the last few years.  >:(

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #684: September 06, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
Oh well, something good from this debacle surely comes. Too bad Soriano couldn't keep it together. But she's come undone.

Guess Who...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #685: September 06, 2014, 12:04:22 AM »
Guess Who...  ;)

I thought the same thing.    We're old.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #686: September 06, 2014, 12:04:32 AM »
Ok, we can fix the closer, that's easy.......can we fix Harper? What a talent but what a liability, moronic base running,  a complete disregard for the basic rules of fielding with that inexcusable collision w/ DS. Little leaguers get yelled at for stuff like that!

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #687: September 06, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
Guess Who...  ;)
That's what I was singing him back home with, indeed.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #688: September 06, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »

:mg:

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #689: September 06, 2014, 12:05:55 AM »
Ok, we can fix the closer, that's easy.......can we fix Harper? What a talent but what a liability, moronic base running,  a complete disregard for the basic rules of fielding with that inexcusable collision w/ DS. Little leaguers get yelled at for stuff like that!

Yes that was absolutely retarted god damnit, Span could have caught that if you watch the replay but i still believe that didnt cost us the game. Soriano did but Blevins just sucks damn nuts why even send him? He cost us the game too.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #690: September 06, 2014, 12:06:04 AM »
     :old:  I resemble that remark.

Offline whytev

« Reply #691: September 06, 2014, 12:06:16 AM »

Whereas I'm just Canadian.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #692: September 06, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »
These decisions aren't made by the manager.  Especially a rookie manager. This involves the GM due to contracts, money, agents etc. The best shot of the night was seeing Soriano on the mound with Williams pacing in the dugout. Clearly he, Knorr, and McCatty were stressed out and have been. Ni way they don't see what everyone else sees. There is a reality about dealing with a high paid closer who has had the role. The business side has a lot to say. It is like benching a quarterback.

Then it's time to bench the quarterback.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #693: September 06, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
Yes that was absolutely retarted god damnit, Span could have caught that if you watch the replay but i still believe that didnt cost us the game. Soriano did but Blevins just sucks damn nuts why even send him?

What grabs my ass is Span is a seasoned center fielder.   He should always get the call.

Offline stealyerbase

« Reply #694: September 06, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
No one holds that against you though.  :poke:

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #695: September 06, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »
Guess Who...  ;)

She found a mountain that was far too high, and when she found out she couldn't fly, momma it was too late!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #696: September 06, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »

Saw them in concert with Vanilla Fudge.

Offline PC

« Reply #697: September 06, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
I wonder is Desmond going to tweet his complaint about the booing of Soriano again?  :?

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #698: September 06, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
Got so disgusted when Soriano gave up the SECOND homer that I checked DC Baseball History and found that today, September 5, is the anniversary of the game in 1959 when Jim Lemon hit two home runs in one inning. Big Jim, who ran a grocery store in Hyattsville after he retired. Big Jim, who shook my hand after I recognized him at a minor league game. Lemon's hand was so big it was like shaking hands with someone's baseball glove. This was about 1988, and Jim Lemon looked at my middle-60s blue curly-W hat and said, "We'll get a team back on e of these days. Have to. Great baseball town".

"1959 - Jim Lemon clobbers 2 home runs and 6 RBI in a 10 run, 3rd inning. The Nats torch the Red Sox in Washington, 14-2. Lemon’s 2 long balls come off Bill Monbouquette and Earl Wilson. Jackie Jensen‘s home run with 2 on gives Boston their runs."  http://dcbaseballhistory.com/2014/09/this-date-in-washington-senators-history-lemon-hits-two-home-runs-in-one-inning/

Also on September 5: "1908 - Walter Johnson blanks New York for the second consecutive day, 6-0, at New York. [was this the stretch when Johnson beat the Yankees three consecutive games"

"1921 - The all time career strikeout record, held by Cy Young, is eclipsed by the Big Train. Johnson strikes out 7 A’s in a losing cause to run his total to 2,287."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #699: September 06, 2014, 12:10:26 AM »
I do. :whistle:
No one holds that against you though.  :poke: