Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP  (Read 33082 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP
« Reply #50: May 17, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
Yes, but what about his command?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: May 17, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
Yes, but what about his command?
Saw his first game this year in person. He has great command. The fastball seems to have some hop in it also.  Could be my imagination of course as I am not a scout.

Offline PC

« Reply #52: May 17, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »
May 16 Prospect Watch: Reynaldo Lopez could help Nationals in 2015

RHP Reynaldo Lopez, Nationals: The numbers are impressive through two starts (11 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K) at High Class-A this year, but what really stands out about the 21-year-old Lopez is the sheer electricity of his stuff. He hit 98-99 mph more often than not in Tuesday's start and flashed a knockout curveball. Lopez's delivery isn't pretty (video) -- he generates a lot of velocity with his arm and not enough with his legs -- leading many to believe his long-term future lies in relief. If the Nationals are open to it, they could stick Lopez in the bullpen and call him up in the second half to help their playoff push. He could have a major impact in the late innings, a la Francisco Rodriguez and the 2002 Angels.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25186241/may-16-prospect-watch-reynaldo-lopez-could-help-nationals-in-2015

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #53: May 17, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
Herrea seems similar in pitching delivery, who's also in the bullpen. Hope not.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #54: May 18, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
Is Dellin Betances a bust now considering his rankings and ceiling?  Lopez was never ranked as high as Betances.  The way baseball is, getting 70 great innings a year out of a high end prospect is not a bust.  Less than what you would hope for, but still a success.

Online Slateman

« Reply #55: May 18, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
Is Dellin Betances a bust now considering his rankings and ceiling?  Lopez was never ranked as high as Betances.  The way baseball is, getting 70 great innings a year out of a high end prospect is not a bust.  Less than what you would hope for, but still a success.

Yes and no. I mean, Andrew Miller and Betances were supposed to be front line starters. So while they busted in that endeavor, they are fantastic in relief. Credit their respective organizations for recognizing this and getting them in to the pen. I'm betting that we will see a lot of this over the next five years. Pitching has changed. The days of the starter going 7-9 innings are largely over. Bullpens are going to be filled with guys who can bring it for 3-6 batters and then hand it off to the 8th and 9th inning guys. It's going to be easier to draft and keep relievers over finding top tier starting pitching that can go deep in to games. Plus, by keeping your farm system stocked, you can send down and call up guys over the course of a season to add a fresh arm or two.

I still think Lopez ends up in the pen. If he's sitting 96-98 in a game where he's expecting to go 4-6 innings, he's probably a 100 mph guy in relief for one inning. Even if he does add a change,  he can still be an effective reliever.

Offline RD

« Reply #56: May 18, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
This team might need him in relief more than in the rotation anyway. A lot will change over the next two years but with Roark, Cole, Ross, and Giolito having the potential to fill in the 2 spots at the back end of the rotation after this year, we have options. A flame thrower out of the pen? The big league team doesn't even have that currently.

Offline blue911

« Reply #57: May 18, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
This team might need him in relief more than in the rotation anyway. A lot will change over the next two years but with Roark, Cole, Ross, and Giolito having the potential to fill in the 2 spots at the back end of the rotation after this year, we have options. A flame thrower out of the pen? The big league team doesn't even have that currently.

I think the Nats held him back this spring was so he could pitch through September.

Offline RD

« Reply #58: May 18, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »
I think the Nats held him back this spring was so he could pitch through September.

Could be possible but I think they're just watching his innings, like Giolito. He's actually behind in terms of experience than Giolito. Gio has pitched 147 innings as a pro, with a high of 98. Lopez has 116 pro innings, with a high of 83. So his innings are going to be carefully monitored.

With that said, it's not out of the realm of possibility he helps the pen in September. If you get him to about 100 innings as a starter, then make him a reliever, he gets an extra 15-20 in the pen. But, I don't think the team will rush him or risk any developmental problems by messing with him or rushing. He's got big time upside and some people don't take well in changing roles. And while he does seem to have electric stuff, he doesn't seem to finish guys off at a high rate. He already hits 98 now, so it's doubtful he picks up 4/5mph in shorter stints to give him an extra boost. I don't think his stuff and K rate will improve at the big league level just yet.

I'm for it if he can dominate this year and gets a fair amount of experience in AA, but I just think the team will be more patient.

Offline blue911

« Reply #59: May 18, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
Could be possible but I think they're just watching his innings, like Giolito. He's actually behind in terms of experience than Giolito. Gio has pitched 147 innings as a pro, with a high of 98. Lopez has 116 pro innings, with a high of 83. So his innings are going to be carefully monitored.

With that said, it's not out of the realm of possibility he helps the pen in September. If you get him to about 100 innings as a starter, then make him a reliever, he gets an extra 15-20 in the pen. But, I don't think the team will rush him or risk any developmental problems by messing with him or rushing. He's got big time upside and some people don't take well in changing roles. And while he does seem to have electric stuff, he doesn't seem to finish guys off at a high rate. He already hits 98 now, so it's doubtful he picks up 4/5mph in shorter stints to give him an extra boost. I don't think his stuff and K rate will improve at the big league level just yet.

I'm for it if he can dominate this year and gets a fair amount of experience in AA, but I just think the team will be more patient.

I'm fairly confident in knowing that I haven't the foggiest when it comes to what they're thinking. I just thought it strange that they've switched their plan regarding inning management for both Giolito and Lopez.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #60: May 22, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
An "oops" start tonight:

Myrtle Beach, SC---The Potomac Nationals (18-23 Overall, 8-13 Road) snapped a three-game winning streak on the Grand Strand Friday evening on TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark losing the series opener of the best-of-four Memorial Day Weekend set opener to the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (25-14 Overall, 9-9 Home) by the final score of 8-4.

Potomac is now a (5-9) club against teams from the Carolina League's Southern Division.

Nationals RHP Reynaldo Lopez (2-1) suffered the roughest start of his Potomac Nationals' career and the phenom took his first losing decision of the 2015 season.

Lopez, amid his fourth Carolina League start, pitched just 2.2 innings and surrendered five earned runs on five base hits including just one extra-base knock while walking one batter, striking out just two men, and unleashing one wild pitch.

Online Slateman

« Reply #61: June 11, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
Getting ripped in Potomac

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #62: June 21, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
I see he pitched only 3 innings today; wonder if that means anything? in any event they were scoreless innings

Offline blue911

« Reply #63: June 21, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
I see he pitched only 3 innings today; wonder if that means anything? in any event they were scoreless innings

He pitched last night. The game was called

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: June 21, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »
He pitched last night. The game was called
Ok, got ya...my bad...have been out of town this weekend.

Offline blue911

« Reply #65: June 21, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
Ok, got ya...my bad...have been out of town this weekend.

No biggie. They should have tagged it as such

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #66: June 21, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Getting ripped in Potomac

Keith Law mentioned in his Giolito blurb that the Potomac defense was especially horrific, which is hurting Giolito's ERA. I imagine something similar is happening to Lopez, who has a 36/13 K/BB ratio and only 3 HRs and 42 hits given up in 39 innings, but has a 4.85 ERA somehow. None of that really computes. However, TINSTAAPP.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: June 21, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »
Keith Law mentioned in his Giolito blurb that the Potomac defense was especially horrific, which is hurting Giolito's ERA. I imagine something similar is happening to Lopez, who has a 36/13 K/BB ratio and only 3 HRs and 42 hits given up in 39 innings, but has a 4.85 ERA somehow. None of that really computes. However, TINSTAAPP.
Saw him pitch when he first came up to Potomac this year.  Looked good to me.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #68: July 06, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
#19 on BP's top-50.  Feel that may be a little high for him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: July 12, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »
Good outing today
6 innings, no runs, 5 hits, 7 Ks and no walks

Offline Matugi

« Reply #70: July 14, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
MinorLeagueBall's #47 midseason prospect.  Feel this is a more reasonable spot for him.  He's got the raw stuff but has a ways to go, probable ETA is 2017 bullpen then rotation in 2018

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #71: August 01, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
Mixed results the last 3 starts:

07/19/2015   4.0 IP   7 H  6 ER  3 BB  0 SO
07/25/2015   7.0 IP   4 H  2 ER  3 BB  4 SO
07/31/2015   5.0 IP   7 H  4 ER  2 BB  5 SO

Offline Matugi

« Reply #72: August 12, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
Much better his last two starts, including a fantastic one tonight.

Aug 6 - 6 IP 5 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 5 K
Aug 12 - 7 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 11 K

Offline AR

« Reply #73: August 12, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
Great one tonight. Was expecting to see more of those this year. Hope he finishes strong for his last few starts as it has been a rocky season for him. Would like to know what went wrong considering the high expectations early on.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: August 12, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »
Great one tonight. Was expecting to see more of those this year. Hope he finishes strong for his last few starts as it has been a rocky season for him. Would like to know what went wrong considering the high expectations early on.
Stats don't mean that much as guys work on pitches. He has big league stuff from what I saw. Expect him
In Harrisburg next year.