Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP  (Read 33118 times)

Offline RD

Re: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP
« Reply #150: June 11, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
And you bring up another guy who only needed to strengthen his arm.

Lopez needs to stay down to work on his change up and command. Hes not going to be able to do that pitching 30_40 innings in relief.

And the Nats pen is fine. It's been one of the best in baseball

I'm not sure why you think development of the change and command are all of a sudden halted because he's pitching in relief. It's not like you're telling him to not touch a ball and making him DH. He's still pitching. Hell still work on things. Hell still throw the change playing catch. In the bullpen. In games.

Relieving for 2 months isnt going to stop his development. If anything, facing big league hitters and getting experience at that level will help his development. I'm not saying to make him a reliever full time going forward. Make him a reliever for two months, maybe even just 6 weeks. Then he's right back in starter mode. In the off seasom, he's back working on things, and next year, he's in the AAA rotation.

Maybe he doesn't take to relief. It takes a certain mindset. He might not have that. He's not guaranteed to be a force. But, I do not think it hurts his development for such a short period of time.

As far as our pen being good, it's never a bad thing to add a guy who can hit 100 and put people away.

There's no guarantee of success but I also don't think there's any real concern if hurting his development. We're not asking him to come up now and be a reliever for 18 months (like Sale). It's a very short term thing. One that could help the team make a run.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #151: June 11, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
I'm not sure why you think development of the change and command are all of a sudden halted because he's pitching in relief. It's not like you're telling him to not touch a ball and making him DH. He's still pitching. Hell still work on things. Hell still throw the change playing catch. In the bullpen. In games.

Relieving for 2 months isnt going to stop his development. If anything, facing big league hitters and getting experience at that level will help his development. I'm not saying to make him a reliever full time going forward. Make him a reliever for two months, maybe even just 6 weeks. Then he's right back in starter mode. In the off seasom, he's back working on things, and next year, he's in the AAA rotation.

Maybe he doesn't take to relief. It takes a certain mindset. He might not have that. He's not guaranteed to be a force. But, I do not think it hurts his development for such a short period of time.

As far as our pen being good, it's never a bad thing to add a guy who can hit 100 and put people away.

There's no guarantee of success but I also don't think there's any real concern if hurting his development. We're not asking him to come up now and be a reliever for 18 months (like Sale). It's a very short term thing. One that could help the team make a run.

If he's pitching in relief, he doesn't need a change.

Offline RD

« Reply #152: June 11, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »

That's your only come back?

You may not need a change, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one and use it.

As far as his development goes, you have him throw it (occasionally) to keep it going. He continues to play catch with it to develop his feel. You throw it in the bullpen (whether a side session based on usage, or in the pen getting loose). And, in the game, you throw it for a different look. We're not talking about him closing games here. We're talking 7/8 inning work. He can throw it on an 0-1 count in the 7th.  You throw 100 one pitch, then drop in a change up, even a mediocre one, and it completely sets a hitter off balance.

You act like he won't be touching a ball or throwing one period for two months. There are ways to work on things and develop in the big leagues. It's not solely in the minors where players improve.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #153: June 11, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
That's your only come back?

You may not need a change, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one and use it.

As far as his development goes, you have him throw it (occasionally) to keep it going. He continues to play catch with it to develop his feel. You throw it in the bullpen (whether a side session based on usage, or in the pen getting loose). And, in the game, you throw it for a different look. We're not talking about him closing games here. We're talking 7/8 inning work. He can throw it on an 0-1 count in the 7th.  You throw 100 one pitch, then drop in a change up, even a mediocre one, and it completely sets a hitter off balance.

You act like he won't be touching a ball or throwing one period for two months. There are ways to work on things and develop in the big leagues. It's not solely in the minors where players improve.
If he's pitching in relief, at the MLB level, he's not going to be working on his change up. At all.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #154: June 11, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
Yeah, definitely going to have to disagree with you, RD. Makes a lot more sense for him to get a full workload this season as a SP, especially if there's not an immediate need in the BP in DC. He needs to not only work on command and control of a change, but also working multiple times through a lineup. He doesn't get the workload coming out of the BP. That's what the minors are for. The games don't matter. You don't use BP time in the majors to work on things; you're there to get outs.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #155: June 11, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Also consider that the Nats are very conservative on arms (outside of Dusty's damn decisions in the ML), even without TJS. You said he'd go back to being a SP (this season, IIRC your post) after being a RP? Highly doubt that. 

Offline RD

« Reply #156: June 11, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
If he's pitching in relief, at the MLB level, he's not going to be working on his change up. At all.

So every pitcher that comes up to the bigs is fully polished and isn't working on things?

BS. There are a ton of guys that have command and 3rd pitch issues that come up and the teams try to iron them out at the big league level. Since we're discussing the Sox, look at a guy like Carlos Rodon. He's still got command issues and is up and down every time out. You don't think he's working on things and improving, at the big league level? How do guys ever get better from their rookie year, to the next? You have established guys picking up new pitches and working on them at the big league level.

It is absolutely foolish to think guys don't work 9n things at the next level.

Now, we're now talking about Lopez being forced to throw a change up 20x a game. He'd be in relief. But, he will still be throwing the pitch, meaning he is still working on it. He's not just scrapping a change up, period. Would he get more work on it in the minors? Absolutely. But, he's not expected to be in the rotation this year or next. He still has plenty of time in season and in the minors next year, to work on it for starting purposes.

Offline RD

« Reply #157: June 11, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
Yeah, definitely going to have to disagree with you, RD. Makes a lot more sense for him to get a full workload this season as a SP, especially if there's not an immediate need in the BP in DC. He needs to not only work on command and control of a change, but also working multiple times through a lineup. He doesn't get the workload coming out of the BP. That's what the minors are for. The games don't matter. You don't use BP time in the majors to work on things; you're there to get outs.

What do you consider a full workload? He's going to be shut down early because of an innings limit, unless we start skipping starts with him. I dont consider being shut down a full work load.

By going up to the bigs, we aren't going to be expecting him to pitch 50 innings. Hell get some in game work and some bullpen work, with our big league coaches. Hell get a taste of big league hitters and more importantly, hell have to prepare and be ready to play a full season. Not be shut down early because of an innings limit.

I understand the idea of being cautious and how the team has been in the past. I'm not saying they will. Im not even saying we should. But I do think we'll see Lopez in the bigs as a reliever before Gio as a starter, this year. I just don't see a real downside to him pitching two months in relief, as opposed to one month starting then shutting it down. It's not like we need him to be in the rotation to start 2017. He's gping to get right back into the starting groove after the short stretch this season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #158: June 11, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »
Now, we're now talking about Lopez being forced to throw a change up 20x a game. He'd be in relief. But, he will still be throwing the pitch, meaning he is still working on it. He's not just scrapping a change up, period. Would he get more work on it in the minors? Absolutely. But, he's not expected to be in the rotation this year or next. He still has plenty of time in season and in the minors next year, to work on it for starting purposes.

So you're plan for Lopez' development is to call him up in and pitch him out of the bullpen this year and have him exclusively throw the pitch he's least comfortable and least experienced with?

Rondon was/is:
1. A college pitcher, so he effectively started his MLB career where Lopez is now
2. The number 3 over all pick
3. A lefty

Lopez needs to stay down and develop in a place where he can be afforded the opportunity to throw 20-30 change ups a game and not get yanked after three innings.

Offline RD

« Reply #159: June 11, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
So you're plan for Lopez' development is to call him up in and pitch him out of the bullpen this year and have him exclusively throw the pitch he's least comfortable and least experienced with?

Rondon was/is:
1. A college pitcher, so he effectively started his MLB career where Lopez is now
2. The number 3 over all pick
3. A lefty

Lopez needs to stay down and develop in a place where he can be afforded the opportunity to throw 20-30 change ups a game and not get yanked after three innings.

Lol, I don't even know where to begin.

No, I'm not saying to exclusively throw his weakest pitch. In fact, I said to use it occasionally.

2, So Rodon began his MLB career at the same path as where Lopez is now. So .... you're saying they're at the same stage and Lopez can begin his MLB career? Not to mention you completely ignore the point that pitchers absolutely do work on things at the big league level, and continue to improve. But I know why you did that. Because you're wrong.

And 3) Lopez would never have to worry about being yaneed after 3 innings, because he wouldn't be pitching 3 innings. He'd be going 1, maybe 2 innings in relief.

Like I said, I'm not saying he should be promoted or will be.promoted. A question was asked who we'd see promoted first. I dont think Giolito is promoted this year, because tjere are others ahead of him of were talking spot start category. And Voth would likely get it if it's something a bit longer. Therefore I believe it is more like we see someone promoted to help in relief, and I think Lopez is better suited for that. If anyone gets babied, it's definitely Giolito. And, if Lopez is promoted(later on) as a reliever, I do not see it as something that stunts his growth, as you seem to think it does. Lopez does continue to need work as a starter, but he's going to continue to get a lot of it as his career progresses. Pitching out of the pen for two months, maybe even less, does not stunt his growth. He's going to get another 100+ innings in the minors next year to continue to develop. We're not talking making him a reliever in August, then making him start in September at the big league level. We're talking possibly 20 big league innings as a reliever, then an off season, followed by another half season of starter wor in the minors before a possible call up.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #160: June 11, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »
Another key thing to consider in your Rondon/Lopez comp is that Lopez pitched in the DSL, and only start pitching stateside at age 19. Rondon was a top college pitcher. The Nats are fine to be cautious and slow with him. I myself, doubt he sees BP time, but your points aren't totally off-base. The FO likes to run arms as far as they can as a SP before making a move to RP. Purke was still used as a SP here, even after being DFA'd. Solis only started pitching in relief last season. Trienen was still getting SP looks until he was 27.

Offline RD

« Reply #161: June 11, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
Another key thing to consider in your Rondon/Lopez comp is that Lopez pitched in the DSL, and only start pitching stateside at age 19. Rondon was a top college pitcher. The Nats are fine to be cautious and slow with him. I myself, doubt he sees BP time, but your points aren't totally off-base. The FO likes to run arms as far as they can as a SP before making a move to RP. Purke was still used as a SP here, even after being DFA'd. Solis only started pitching in relief last season. Trienen was still getting SP looks until he was 27.

I'm not trying to compare him to Rodon. For.one, I'm talking about Lopez relieving, and Rodon is starting. I merely brought Rodon as a quick reference to the fact that pitchers absolutely pitch at the big league level with 3rd pitch and command issues.

Also, the in house guys you mention were made permanent relievers. That's not the case here, so I don't really see the relevance. We're talking about a short term thing to possibly help the big league club. Think Finnegan last year with the Royals. I know the narrow mindedness of slate will have a one liner about Finnegan being a lefty, but again, that's not the issue. A young fireball er can come in and have success and give the team a shot in the arm late in the season is the goal. And it doesn't mean it has to stunt their long term develooment.

Also, I dont know if you guys realize, we're probably talking about Lopez losing 2 or 3 starts. If he's getting shut down around 125-130 innings, I'm saying after about 110, move him to the pen. Let the next 20-30 innings be in relief. I just don't see how "missing" 2-3 starts, while still pitching, stunts ones long term growth. Any potential loss, is easily matched by pitching and having success at the big league level. The confidence that comes with that is a big plus. Now obviously that is an assumption of success, but I assume that because if he's not have success, then you don't use him.

I say you stop him around 110 as a starter. Have him throw a pen on his usual schedule, but instead of a start on day 5, have him come out of the pen(still in the minors btw). Instead of his usual in between pen, have him throw in relief again. On day 5, relief again instead of a start. That gives him a small taste of what it takes to be a reliever and you can see if he has the mental abikity to switch gears at this stage. If he doesnt, he's still on a routine where you can still start him again in the minors for a couple more games. It would be very similar to skipping a start or two mid season to stretch him out, like the Pirates did with Taillon a couple weeks ago. Or you can shut him down and just continue to work on the side. I wouldnt just toss him into the bigs without a plan.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #162: June 11, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Tyler Clippard

Offline Slateman

« Reply #163: June 11, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
Tyler Clippard
Clippard didn't have a 98 mlb fastball, nor a good breaking ball.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #164: June 11, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »
Lol, I don't even know where to begin.

No, I'm not saying to exclusively throw his weakest pitch. In fact, I said to use it occasionally.

2, So Rodon began his MLB career at the same path as where Lopez is now. So .... you're saying they're at the same stage and Lopez can begin his MLB career? Not to mention you completely ignore the point that pitchers absolutely do work on things at the big league level, and continue to improve. But I know why you did that. Because you're wrong.

And 3) Lopez would never have to worry about being yaneed after 3 innings, because he wouldn't be pitching 3 innings. He'd be going 1, maybe 2 innings in relief.

Like I said, I'm not saying he should be promoted or will be.promoted. A question was asked who we'd see promoted first. I dont think Giolito is promoted this year, because tjere are others ahead of him of were talking spot start category. And Voth would likely get it if it's something a bit longer. Therefore I believe it is more like we see someone promoted to help in relief, and I think Lopez is better suited for that. If anyone gets babied, it's definitely Giolito. And, if Lopez is promoted(later on) as a reliever, I do not see it as something that stunts his growth, as you seem to think it does. Lopez does continue to need work as a starter, but he's going to continue to get a lot of it as his career progresses. Pitching out of the pen for two months, maybe even less, does not stunt his growth. He's going to get another 100+ innings in the minors next year to continue to develop. We're not talking making him a reliever in August, then making him start in September at the big league level. We're talking possibly 20 big league innings as a reliever, then an off season, followed by another half season of starter wor in the minors before a possible call up.

And he wouldn't develop his change, nor his command. And at the end of the season he'd be 130-140 innings deep and be asked to come up to the bigs and throw harder than he has all season?

Rondon and Finnegan played college ball and were able to develop their pitches there. Both had better changeup when they got called up. Both were more refined. Both were far more refined in their capabilities.

Lopez isn't throwing change ups if hes called up. Not any more than once a week. He's going to throw hard fastballs and tight breaking balls. If he's throwing change ups, he's in a jam. Which is the whole reason to leave him in the minors. He needs to be given innings to throw a lot of change ups and not worry about the score or a playoff game.

Finnegan and Rondon were called up because they were ready and their team needed them. The Nationals don't. He won't make the rotation and pen is currently top 5 in ERA.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #165: June 12, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
Guess what I'm not following here is why we'd bring up Lopez when Koda Glover seems to fill the same role but is already a RP at the same level as Lopez?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #166: June 12, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
Guess what I'm not following here is why we'd bring up Lopez when Koda Glover seems to fill the same role but is already a RP at the same level as Lopez?
Bring em both up in September.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #167: June 12, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »

Indeed.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #168: June 13, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
This Syndegaard comp is probably the most ridiculous comp I've seen on this board (and that's saying a lot). Thor is half a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier, and at 22 was in MLB throwing 150 great innings while Lopez is in AA. At 23 Syndergaard is the second-best pitcher in baseball.

There's probably a 10X greater chance he's Yordano Ventura than he's Noah Syndergaard.

It has nothing to do with size and more to do with the stuff comparison. No one is saying he is Syndergaard, but his ceiling is that of Syndergaard. His stuff projects to be of that caliber if he can harness it and throw it all for strikes. That doesn't mean he can, but given what he has shown up until now, he has shown he can be utilized as a high leverage reliever like Betances with the same style of "stuff".

Offline madj55

« Reply #169: June 19, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
Chelsea Janes ‏@chelsea_janes  9m9 minutes ago
Righty Reynaldo Lopez struck out 13 in seven innings today for Class AA Harrisburg.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #170: June 19, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
Hot damn

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #171: June 20, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2016/06/lopez-strikes-out-career-high-13-again-as-harrisburg-drops-reading.html

Right-hander Reynaldo Lopez splashed on the scene last season in the Nationals minor league system before a minor back injury slowed his final month. He made his last appearance August 18 before being shut down.

This season, fully healthy, the Nationals’ No. 5 pitching prospect is on a roll.

On Sunday, the Double-A Harrisburg starter struck out 13 batters for the second time in three starts as the Senators dropped Reading 4-1. Lopez went seven innings, allowing five hits with no walks and the career-high-matching 13 punchouts.

He is now 2-5 with a 3.56 ERA. The 22-year-old Lopez has now struck out 12 or more batters in three of his last five starts. That works out to 46 strikeouts in 25 2/3 innings. He has walked only three batters in those five outings.

<snip>

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #172: June 20, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
I think he'd look real nice coming out of the pen this summer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #173: June 20, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »
I think he'd look real nice coming out of the pen this summer.
This. ^