Author Topic: Cutting the cord  (Read 9663 times)

Offline PC

Re: Cutting the cord
« Reply #25: June 27, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
I haven't tried this but Paul Thurrott (the Microsoft blogging muckety muck) house swaps with a European family each summer and he uses this to get the video services that he uses that are US only.

https://www.hidemyass.com/

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #28: June 27, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Flowers?

Offline blue911

« Reply #29: June 27, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
Flowers?

So Ted Nugent can feel pretty

Offline PC

« Reply #30: June 27, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
I just signed up for a month of HideMyAss.  I'm going to see what watching the Nationals on MLB.tv is like without using a sketchy streaming website.

The good thing about HMA is there is no bandwidth/usage cap.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: June 27, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Here's a Google Map centered over the heart of the Hill Country.

(Image removed from quote.)

oh ok that's very pretty! My son works for a place that calls itself "Hill Country" in its name but I don't think it truly is, it's not nearly that far north of San Antonio. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: June 07, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
Anybody on here use Sling TV? I've been having a devil of a time getting it to work on my computer. Their tech team hasn't been able to figure it out either.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #33: June 07, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
I use it on my Roku to watch HBO. The app is super slow but it does work once I navigate where I need to go.  Don't have any experience with it on PC though.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #34: June 07, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
i ended up biting the bullet and renewing FiOS.  Still can't convince the wife to give up the home phone (she hates talking on her cell phone).  Outside of Nats games I don't watch much TV  so it's frustrating though.

That's us as well.   Not only do we have the home phone line, we have a dial/push button landline phone that requires no electricity.   I only turn the cell phone on Tuesday's at 8 AM.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: June 07, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »
That's us as well.   Not only do we have the home phone line, we have a dial/push button landline phone that requires no electricity.   I only turn the cell phone on Tuesday's at 8 AM.
I'd love to have areal landline instead of one through FiOS. Landlines are great for power outages.  I'm surprised FEMA and DHS allows them to be taken out.  It is an important safety feature, like your emergency go kit.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #36: September 08, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna call Comcast tomorrow and ask them to downgrade me to an internet-only package. I love college football but I am sick of paying Comcast an inflated monthly bill just to get college football + a bunch of other channels I never watch.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #37: September 08, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna call Comcast tomorrow and ask them to downgrade me to an internet-only package. I love college football but I am sick of paying Comcast an inflated monthly bill just to get college football + a bunch of other channels I never watch.
Sling's got just about everything you need for college football.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: September 08, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
SEC on fox is blacked out on sling and no abc or cbs

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: September 08, 2016, 09:52:56 PM »
That's what the antenna's for. Plus ABC games are available through WatchESPN which you can log into with your Sling account info.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #40: September 08, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
That's what the antenna's for. Plus ABC games are available through WatchESPN which you can log into with your Sling account info.

I watch streams, but tried to pick up an Over-The-Air antenna today for craps and gigs, but couldn't find one. RadioShack/Best Buy would have one. Oh well

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: September 08, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
I watch streams, but tried to pick up an Over-The-Air antenna today for craps and gigs, but couldn't find one. RadioShack/Best Buy would have one. Oh well
Try Wally World or Amazon. They're not that hard to find, especially now that they're becoming more popular again.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: September 08, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »
It depends on where you live, in Alexandria, I can get pbs and Fox reliably with an amplified antenna

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #43: September 08, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »
Try Wally World or Amazon. They're not that hard to find, especially now that they're becoming more popular again.

Yup. Was just a last second thing tonight for the ballgame. Just went with TV/laptop. Nats are over anyways.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: September 08, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
It depends on where you live, in Alexandria, I can get pbs and Fox reliably with an amplified antenna
That's true.

That said, Sling + Antenna has been great for me. Just waiting for MLBN and BTN to be added and I'd have everything I need for less than basic cable.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #45: September 08, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Find out what locals you can expect to get, with what kind of antenna, here.

http://antennaweb.org/Address

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #46: September 09, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »
I did it. I cut the cord this morning. I am paying only for internet now.

My wife will get an Amazon "FireStick" to watch her TV shows. I will rely on an over-the-air antenna, which I do own, and which will hopefully let me watch at least some college football on ABC and CBS. And I guess Notre Dame is still on NBC or did that contract expire?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #47: September 09, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »
I did it. I cut the cord this morning. I am paying only for internet now.

My wife will get an Amazon "FireStick" to watch her TV shows. I will rely on an over-the-air antenna, which I do own, and which will hopefully let me watch at least some college football on ABC and CBS. And I guess Notre Dame is still on NBC or did that contract expire?

Not to be too nosey but what's the difference in price for all service (TV, phone, internet) and just internet.   Is it half/third, etc. as much?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: September 09, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Walewski, how are you watching Nats games? 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #49: September 09, 2016, 10:16:19 AM »
Walewski, how are you watching Nats games? 

Last night I watched Bob and FP for the last time this year. Next year, I will hopefully be watching the Nats on an MLB.tv package - they are getting rid of blackouts for 2017 right?

If not, well, the Nationals do have one of the best radio teams in the country.