Author Topic: Cutting the cord  (Read 9714 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Cutting the cord
« Topic Start: June 25, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »
I've been considering "cutting the cord" now that my FiOS contract is up for renewal.  Using the calculator at http://projects.marketwatch.com/are-you-ready-to-cut-the-cable-cord-interactive-calculator-2013/ it looks like i can save about $70 a month, even after buying subscriptions to MLB.TV, Amazon, NetFlix, and Hulu

Question for all of you: It looks like there's no way to watch Nats games via MLB.TV as they will be blacked out in Virginia.  Are there any other options?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Cutting the cord
« Reply #1: June 25, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »
Do you have anyone willing to.let you hook up a sling box?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2: June 26, 2014, 01:07:53 AM »
Proxy.you might have trouble finding a fast enough one for free but there are paid ones for a few bucks a month AFAIK.

What a proxy basically does is change your location as far as mlb.TV is concerned.  So instead of you in DC saying "mlb, stream TV to me" you're telling the proxy "I want mlb.TV" and then the proxy, somewhere else tells mlb to start streaming.  Mlb thinks you are where the proxy is, then the proxy relays the video to you.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #3: June 26, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »
Could you perchance go into more detail about how to go about doing that? I've kicked around the idea of "cord-cutting" but have always been stymied by sports. Same issue noted above applies to NHL Center Ice too, and I gather you can't use WatchESPN to stream TV programming unless you have a participating TV provider. (This was an issue for me last night during the College World Series when the thunderstorm knocked out our DirecTV signal for an inning.) The "rain fade" issue is starting to get on my nerves because it seems like it's happening more often this year, although it may be compounded by the trees out back growing ever-taller.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: June 26, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
Slowness is the overwhelming problem. We've tried this.

Proxy.you might have trouble finding a fast enough one for free but there are paid ones for a few bucks a month AFAIK.

What a proxy basically does is change your location as far as mlb.TV is concerned.  So instead of you in DC saying "mlb, stream TV to me" you're telling the proxy "I want mlb.TV" and then the proxy, somewhere else tells mlb to start streaming.  Mlb thinks you are where the proxy is, then the proxy relays the video to you.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: June 26, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Tree growth is what chased me from DishNetwork to cable five years ago.

Could you perchance go into more detail about how to go about doing that? I've kicked around the idea of "cord-cutting" but have always been stymied by sports. Same issue noted above applies to NHL Center Ice too, and I gather you can't use WatchESPN to stream TV programming unless you have a participating TV provider. (This was an issue for me last night during the College World Series when the thunderstorm knocked out our DirecTV signal for an inning.) The "rain fade" issue is starting to get on my nerves because it seems like it's happening more often this year, although it may be compounded by the trees out back growing ever-taller.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: June 26, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I've been considering "cutting the cord" now that my FiOS contract is up for renewal.  Using the calculator at http://projects.marketwatch.com/are-you-ready-to-cut-the-cable-cord-interactive-calculator-2013/ it looks like i can save about $70 a month, even after buying subscriptions to MLB.TV, Amazon, NetFlix, and Hulu

Question for all of you: It looks like there's no way to watch Nats games via MLB.TV as they will be blacked out in Virginia.  Are there any other options?

You could get a VPN and spoof your internet connection in to believing you're in another country.

Online imref

« Reply #7: June 26, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
i ended up biting the bullet and renewing FiOS.  Still can't convince the wife to give up the home phone (she hates talking on her cell phone).  Outside of Nats games I don't watch much TV  so it's frustrating though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: June 26, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
i ended up biting the bullet and renewing FiOS.  Still can't convince the wife to give up the home phone (she hates talking on her cell phone).  Outside of Nats games I don't watch much TV  so it's frustrating though.

we just bit the two year bullet mostly for the phone too, my wife wants the phone in an emergency and it is convenient to use for two factor authentication since I probably wont loose my home phone, but I may loose my cell phone.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #9: June 26, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »

We have a home phone line. We don't have a phone connected to it and I don't know the number. Honestly, if she's going to be like that, I would get the absolute cheapest package for a cell phone and tell her to go with it.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #10: June 26, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
We have a home phone line. We don't have a phone connected to it and I don't know the number. Honestly, if she's going to be like that, I would get the absolute cheapest package for a cell phone and tell her to go with it.

My brother had just a mobile phone for several years, but when he moved into his current apartment and was able to get FIOS Internet and TV he got a phone line as well. But he doesn't have a phone connected to it—instead, he uses that number whenever he has to register for things he expects will result in spam calls. That way the calls simply go to the FIOS voicemail without him ever being bothered by a ringing phone. Not a bad idea if you're determined to be one of those "mobile-phone only" people.

Ms1995hoo and I prefer to maintain our landline for several reasons, including convenience (no need to tote a mobile phone around the house at all times), privacy (we don't give our mobile numbers to many people so as not to create an expectation people can reach us at all times), and the ability for us both to be on a call at once without using a speakerphone or initiating a conference call (just like when you were a kid and you could pick up a phone in the other room to eavesdrop on a sibling).

In the car this morning we were talking about the "proxy" issue mentioned further up this thread. How does it work in terms of registering for MLB.tv or NHL Center Ice or whatever, especially if you want to view said service via a device like an Apple TV? I assume you're not paying a few to the proxy server provider to access his subscription—after yesterday's Supreme Court decision, that's pretty clearly a copyright violation. Instead I assume you are paying MLB or the NHL or whomever, making a separate payment to the proxy provider to obtain an "address" elsewhere, and giving the latter's address to MLB or the NHL or whomever? It seems like ESPN will still be the big stumbling block, possibly NBCSN as well.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: June 26, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
I do the same thing. My FIOS app will list the numbers that call in. It's all solicitors.

I don't tote the phone around.  We just have chargers throghout the apartment. This mini-USB thing is great.

Online imref

« Reply #12: June 26, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
the only use i can see anymore for a home phone line is for the alarm.  You can get a free phone # from Google  (Google Voice) and get an email or text when there's a new voicemail.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #13: June 26, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Move to Texas! I have MLB TV, Hulu, and Netflix, and no cable, and the only downside is I can't watch the Astros, but you won't need to worry about that. Got the Nats on TV 3-4 nights a week.

Online imref

« Reply #14: June 26, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Move to Texas! I have MLB TV, Hulu, and Netflix, and no cable, and the only downside is I can't watch the Astros, but you won't need to worry about that. Got the Nats on TV 3-4 nights a week.

what is it they say about Texas - "the great thing about texas is that you can drive three hours in any direction and still be in Texas?"

I could handle living in Austin, and maybe San Antonio, or Corpus Christi.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #15: June 26, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
what is it they say about Texas - "the great thing about texas is that you can drive three hours in any direction and still be in Texas?"

Have you been to all those places? San Antonio is tolerable or better, depending on your preferred lifestyle, but nobody likes Corpus.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #16: June 26, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
what is it they say about Texas - "the great thing about texas is that you can drive threesix hours in any direction and still be in Texas?"

Fixed.
Have you been to all those places? San Antonio is tolerable or better, depending on your preferred lifestyle, but nobody likes Corpus.
QFT.

Online imref

« Reply #17: June 26, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

i haven't been to corpus but have been the others.  I figured corpus was at least on the water, that counts for something, no?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: June 26, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
i haven't been to corpus but have been the others.  I figured corpus was at least on the water, that counts for something, no?
The beaches at Corpus are the worst. There's constant 25-30 mph wind coming off the water so it's just like your face is getting pressure washed by sand. The city's not great either. Truth is, Texas beaches are pretty rotten compared to Florida, even at South Padre, which is full of loud, drunk 18-year-olds. If you like living in the middle of a big city, Dallas is okay, and Houston is great except for the godawful climate. We specialize in 'burbs, though, and if you ever want to retire to the country, the Hill Country is glorious - by far the best part of the state.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #19: June 26, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
The beaches at Corpus are the worst. There's constant 25-30 mph wind coming off the water so it's just like your face is getting pressure washed by sand. The city's not great either. Truth is, Texas beaches are pretty rotten compared to Florida, even at South Padre, which is full of loud, drunk 18-year-olds. If you like living in the middle of a big city, Dallas is okay, and Houston is great except for the godawful climate. We specialize in 'burbs, though, and if you ever want to retire to the country, the Hill Country is glorious - by far the best part of the state.

Port Aransas (close to Corpus) is aight. Corpus is mostly on the smelly-ass bay.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #20: June 26, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »

Heh. People who haven't been to Texas don't realize how big it is. Ms1995hoo suggested if the US Grand Prix were still being held the weekend before Thanksgiving (which this year it is not) we should go to Austin for the race, go see Copperas Cove (where I was born—we moved when I was 1 and I've never been back), and then drive out to Phoenix to visit her brother for Thanksgiving. She dropped the idea when I explained that not only is it over a thousand miles to Phoenix, but it would take eight and a half hours just to get to El Paso and we'd still be in Texas. I'd be all for making that drive—after all, we drive to Florida often enough—if the drive were for longer than a four-day stay in Phoenix!

The distance, via I-10, from El Paso to the western end of said highway in California is shorter than the distance, also via I-10, from El Paso to the Louisiana state line, and the same applies to the distance from the Texas–Louisiana line to I-10's eastern end in Jacksonville.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #21: June 26, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
We specialize in 'burbs, though, and if you ever want to retire to the country, the Hill Country is glorious - by far the best part of the state.

Is that outside San Antonio? 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #22: June 26, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

It depends on what you're using to stream, ie PS3 or PC etc.

Slowness is the overwhelming problem. We've tried this.

Were you using a free one or one of the pay ones?  I don't have experience with using a proxy to stream video much so I've been fine with the free ones.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #23: June 26, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
A paid one. My son did it, and reported that is was pretty bad. And he has some IT knowledgeable roomates at UMD.

It depends on what you're using to stream, ie PS3 or PC etc.

Were you using a free one or one of the pay ones?  I don't have experience with using a proxy to stream video much so I've been fine with the free ones.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #24: June 27, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
Is that outside San Antonio? 

It's just a bit north of it.