Author Topic: Cutting the cord  (Read 9807 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Cutting the cord
« Topic Start: June 26, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
We have a home phone line. We don't have a phone connected to it and I don't know the number. Honestly, if she's going to be like that, I would get the absolute cheapest package for a cell phone and tell her to go with it.

My brother had just a mobile phone for several years, but when he moved into his current apartment and was able to get FIOS Internet and TV he got a phone line as well. But he doesn't have a phone connected to it—instead, he uses that number whenever he has to register for things he expects will result in spam calls. That way the calls simply go to the FIOS voicemail without him ever being bothered by a ringing phone. Not a bad idea if you're determined to be one of those "mobile-phone only" people.

Ms1995hoo and I prefer to maintain our landline for several reasons, including convenience (no need to tote a mobile phone around the house at all times), privacy (we don't give our mobile numbers to many people so as not to create an expectation people can reach us at all times), and the ability for us both to be on a call at once without using a speakerphone or initiating a conference call (just like when you were a kid and you could pick up a phone in the other room to eavesdrop on a sibling).

In the car this morning we were talking about the "proxy" issue mentioned further up this thread. How does it work in terms of registering for MLB.tv or NHL Center Ice or whatever, especially if you want to view said service via a device like an Apple TV? I assume you're not paying a few to the proxy server provider to access his subscription—after yesterday's Supreme Court decision, that's pretty clearly a copyright violation. Instead I assume you are paying MLB or the NHL or whomever, making a separate payment to the proxy provider to obtain an "address" elsewhere, and giving the latter's address to MLB or the NHL or whomever? It seems like ESPN will still be the big stumbling block, possibly NBCSN as well.