Author Topic: Strasburg to give up chewing tobacco  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Strasburg to give up chewing tobacco
« Reply #25: June 24, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »
Is there any kind of rush with the e-cig or is it going through the motions?     I was a drug addict ...  nicotine.    I don't think the e-cig would have helped me much.   

It's nicotine and flavoring, so you could still get the nicotine buzz but without the other bad-for-you stuff.  I mean I'm sure nicotine isn't really great for you either, but nowhere near as bad as the other stuff in cigarette smoke.  The disposable ones I get are supposed to be equivalent to 2 packs of cigs, and one will last me for months.  It's just an occasional thing to go outside, drink some coffee, and still have the feeling of smoking.  It's pretty neat that they light up when you take a drag :lol:

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #26: June 24, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
So now he's gong to suck like Desmond?

Doesn't he already, or is that another thread?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: June 24, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
Doesn't he already, or is that another thread?
Stras just chokes with the chew. Desi was flat out awful.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #28: June 24, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »
So now he's gong to suck like Desmond?
Only if he sticks with the plan to quit.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #29: June 24, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
You have to quit every day no matter how long it is.    It's been 35 years for me and in the wrong circumstance, I could be back on 'em tomorrow.    Ya gotta say to yourself, "I will not have a cigarette today."   

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I quit while I still loved it, so yea every single day I think about smoking, and every single day tell I tell myself nope you can't have one.  Now if I'm blessed to live to like I don't know, maybe like 90 and still want one? oh I'm going to puff away all day and all night, I'm not going to care a whit about anything when I'm 90 :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: June 24, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I quit while I still loved it, so yea every single day I think about smoking, and every single day tell I tell myself nope you can't have one.  Now if I'm blessed to live to like I don't know, maybe like 90 and still want one? oh I'm going to puff away all day and all night, I'm not going to care a whit about anything when I'm 90 :lol:

I told the missus if they legalize MJ in Virginia, I'm all in.    Tobacco?    Not so much.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: June 24, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
I told the missus if they legalize MJ in Virginia, I'm all in.

:thumbs:  so with you on that lol
although mine would be FL, heck they just need to legalize it nationwide already!!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: June 24, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »
When my wife quit at 28 or so, she decided she would start again at 65. So 10 years away now.

And I think she means it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline madj55

« Reply #33: June 24, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »
:thumbs:  so with you on that lol
although mine would be FL, heck they just need to legalize it nationwide already!!
One of my friends is working in Boulder, Colorado this summer. He says it's what he'd expect heaven to be like. Sent me a snapchat of him drinking cannabis soda...I didn't even know that existed.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: June 24, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
One of my friends is working in Boulder, Colorado this summer. He says it's what he'd expect heaven to be like. Sent me a snapchat of him drinking cannabis soda...I didn't even know that existed.

I have a college buddy in Boulder.   I'm gonna visit him.

Offline madj55

« Reply #35: June 24, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
I have a college buddy in Boulder.   I'm gonna visit him.
Do you know how far Boulder is from Denver? Perhaps plan a trip to see the Nats at Coors and  :pimp: before the game.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: June 24, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
Do you know how far Boulder is from Denver? Perhaps plan a trip to see the Nats at Coors and  :pimp: before the game.

Maybe 25 miles or so.    He goes to Rockies games when the Pirates are in town.     You might be able to purchase non-smokeable stuff at the stadium.    :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #37: June 24, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
When my wife quit at 28 or so, she decided she would start again at 65. So 10 years away now.

And I think she means it.

My original thought was 75 but it that seemed like I was giving up on life too soon :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #38: June 24, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
It'd take more than 15 years to die from smoking.

My original thought was 75 but it that seemed like I was giving up on life too soon :lol:

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #39: June 25, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »
It's nicotine and flavoring, so you could still get the nicotine buzz but without the other bad-for-you stuff.  I mean I'm sure nicotine isn't really great for you either, but nowhere near as bad as the other stuff in cigarette smoke.  The disposable ones I get are supposed to be equivalent to 2 packs of cigs, and one will last me for months.  It's just an occasional thing to go outside, drink some coffee, and still have the feeling of smoking.  It's pretty neat that they light up when you take a drag :lol:

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried all the quit smoking stuff. Patches, gum, Chiantrix, e-cigs. Finally spent big $ on a really high tech vaporizer. Quit smoking, still addicted to nicotine. Don't buy crappy e-cigs, don't get e-liquid that isn't made in the good old US of A. If you think vaporizing is the route for you my advice is drop $300 on good gear to start instead of wasting money on crap and eventually working your way up to good devices like I did.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #40: June 25, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
Sitting at Nats Park, ready for Monday:

Offline MathewRickles

« Reply #41: July 10, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »
It's nicotine and flavoring, so you could still get the nicotine buzz but without the other bad-for-you stuff.  I mean I'm sure nicotine isn't really great for you either, but nowhere near as bad as the other stuff in cigarette smoke.  The disposable ones I get are supposed to be equivalent to 2 packs of cigs which I got from ecigfiend, and one will last me for months.  It's just an occasional thing to go outside, drink some coffee, and still have the feeling of smoking.  It's pretty neat that they light up when you take a drag :lol:

(Image removed from quote.)
I am not sure the stuff is active or not..I am trying hard to quit smoking and followed many ways without much success..

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: July 10, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »
I am not sure the stuff is active or not..I am trying hard to quit smoking and followed many ways without much success..

Go to the doctor and have him find a growth on your larynx.     Worked for me.   

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: July 10, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »

It truly is telling yourself every day, all day, you cannot have a smoke, that if you do you will die from it, there's no easy way there's really not but it totally can be done.  Good luck to you. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #44: July 10, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

Best advice I can share is an explanation of how nicotine and caffeine interact.  They cancel each other out in your blood stream.  End result, smokers usually drink a lot more caffeine products than non-smokers. More cups of coffee, or soda, tea, whatever.  It's just less effective when you smoke.  It's also why so many of us love a cigarette with an after dinner cup of coffee.

When you quit smoking, you usually stick to your normal caffeine habits.  This means you are jittery and shaky and really really really craving a smoke.  It's not nicotine withdrawl. It's caffeine overdose.  Your body intuitively knows that the cigarette will fix the issue.

I need to work on the long term problem (staying off of cigarettes), but I can usually quit for a year or two at a time before my wife starts smoking again and I fall off the wagon with the following approach:

Quit Day -14:  Two weeks before you plan to quit smoking, stop drinking caffeine.  All of it.  No coffee, no soda, just switch to water.  If you can do this 30 days ahead of time, it's even better.

Quit Day -7: A week before you plan to quit, switch to American Spirits.  Doesn't matter what strength, but lighter is probably better (Yellow Box).  They aren't healthy, but the also have zero additives.  You will feel like garbage the first couple of days as your body gets over the addictions to all the additives in regular cigarettes.  However, since you're still getting nicotine, your brain doesn't connect the two. You just feel sick and your brain doesn't know why.

Quit Day: This one isn't going to be as bad as you'd think.  You'll be pretty surprised at how easy it is to override a craving.  Avoid using food as a substitute.

Quit Day+1:  Less fun day, but same advice as Day 1.

Quit Day+2: This one sucks.  The worst day of quitting, period.

Quit Day+3-5: Surprisingly easy. Not much trouble at all unless hanging out with a smoker.

Quit Day+6: This one ranks just below QD+2.

There is another few milesones.  12-14 days after you usually have another highly stressful 'Must smoke!' day.  Then it's 3 months, 6 months and a year.  After that you'll have days where you want to smoke on occasion or days where you walk outside and find yourself reaching for your pack.  That's going to likely be with you forever.

Hanging out with / kissing smokers?  Not a good call for long term successfully staying on the non-smoker wagon. In the last twenty years, I've smoked for about 13 of them been off for 7.  Gone as long as 3.5 years without smoking.  Every time it's my wife deciding she can't stand not smoking any more that drags me back in.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #45: July 10, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
That's a great breakdown of how it goes, dracnal :clap: I will say I found a messageboard that acted like AA but for smokers, the support I got through that board I really credit with helping me through the roughest times, may be something for others to look into. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #46: July 10, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »
kissing smokers?  Not a good call

Who the hell would want to kiss one anyway.  Just freak, no kissing.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #47: July 10, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
Maybe 25 miles or so.    He goes to Rockies games when the Pirates are in town.     You might be able to purchase non-smokeable stuff at the stadium.    :)

Working in Denver now. It's a bit of a drive, but well worth it. Coors is a great stadium. The Nats are in town in two weeks, as well!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #48: July 10, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
I quit cigarettes with Nicorette, but got hooked on the gum. Had to quit the gum with the patch. :lol:

Nicotine free for like a decade.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #49: July 10, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
I quit cigarettes with Nicorette, but got hooked on the gum. Had to quit the gum with the patch. :lol:

Nicotine free for like a decade.

Seeing success stories totally helped me realize it IS possible to quit, maybe we'll help another WNFF'er with all these true-life victories over smokes :)