Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 43256 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #400: June 02, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
This country and it's population/politician/whatever don't tout civilian hospitals as a place we serve "heros" (not sure I even know what that means).   That's the VA's job.   If you don't wanna extend yourself (generic you) above and beyond to give care to the people who have problems mostly acquired in service to the country, then quit your job and go park cars somewhere.     It's more than a magnet on your trunk with "I support our troops" and a "thank you for your service" pat on the back.      You're entrusted with their care   ....   even in the parking lot of the facility.    If the VA would have put out a notice that "We are looking for a vet on our grounds and we need your help.", I know a hundred guys/gals who would have been there  ...  that day.
No doubt, all I can think is that they never in a million years thought the guy was still on their grounds but yea they should have at the very least had security check their parking lot. 

VA, Navy and civilian hospitals are different animals administratively.     At a Navy hospital you can get an Admiral or Master Chief to go kick ass and take names.     Civilian hospitals have watch dogs and they wanna make money.     VA   ....   meh.

yea I know they're different I just grow so tired of people knocking military care, I've always felt so well taken care of but thought maybe I just didn't know any better but dealing with my dad's health problems the last few years I have no more delusions that civilian health care is world's better than what I get.  My only experience with the VA was with some rehab I had to do a few years ago, they were terrific as well but that's a very small sample size, I know they have major issues.  I really, really wanted Trump to appoint Romney head of the VA, I feel like he would've been perfect for cutting through the crap and getting it straightened out :(

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #401: June 02, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

yea I know they're different I just grow so tired of people knocking military care, I've always felt so well taken care of but thought maybe I just didn't know any better but dealing with my dad's health problems the last few years I have no more delusions that civilian health care is world's better than what I get.  My only experience with the VA was with some rehab I had to do a few years ago, they were terrific as well but that's a very small sample size, I know they have major issues.  I really, really wanted Trump to appoint Romney head of the VA, I feel like he would've been perfect for cutting through the crap and getting it straightened out :(

I worked in health care insurance for 40 years (various areas of the company).   It can be trying.    :)      I'm readin' a book now that'll sober ya up if you have any illusions about the state of our civilian health care system  ...  "An American Sickness" by Elisabeth Rosenthal.     It's broke and nibbling around the edges ain't gonna make it better.     The politicians are puttin' band aids on a sucking chest wound.

I think Romney would have been a good choice as well ...  in any administration.   He has a history.    However, I don't think he'd have a chance at the VA.   They'd ignore him and move on.    Can't fire anybody or hold 'em accountable.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #402: June 02, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
I worked in health care insurance for 40 years (various areas of the company).   It can be trying.    :)      I'm readin' a book now that'll sober ya up if you have any illusions about the state of our civilian health care system  ...  "An American Sickness" by Elisabeth Rosenthal.     It's broke and nibbling around the edges ain't gonna make it better.     The politicians are puttin' band aids on a sucking chest wound.

I know, I hear my friends and family members talking and I'm just astounded at what they pay for so little.  Thanks for the book tip, although I feel like if I read it I'll just so angry.

I think Romney would have been a good choice as well ...  in any administration.   He has a history.    However, I don't think he'd have a chance at the VA.   They'd ignore him and move on.    Can't fire anybody or hold 'em accountable.

I always forget that part, sucks :(

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #403: June 02, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »

I don't think it's just accountability. I don't think they are attracting the top doctors. Daughter and son in law both did rotations at VA hospitals and they were not impressed.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #404: June 02, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
I don't think it's just accountability. I don't think they are attracting the top doctors. Daughter and son in law both did rotations at VA hospitals and they were not impressed.

I hate to say this but I think the VA is a mess because no one (us) cares  ...  maybe not literally but not enough to change it.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #405: June 02, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
I hate to say this but I think the VA is a mess because no one (us) cares  ...  maybe not literally but not enough to change it.
It was in the campaign this time but I haven't heard much of any action on it since then.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #406: June 02, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
It was in the campaign this time but I haven't heard much of any action on it since then.

Campaigns are air whirling around.     It'll be important when the next crisis hits the system.    Americans talk the game but the impact of the VA on most of America is minimal.    I think this is gettin' too close to Uncensored for me.    I'm gonna go to the GDT.     :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #407: June 02, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »

To me, the va is like medicaid. There is a problem that the government decidss to solve, but not to the extent that they'll invest what it actually costs, so the result is very substandard care

Offline mitlen

« Reply #408: June 06, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »
D-Day was on a Tuesday in 1944.     Boyz were gettin' ready to hit the beach.    Airborne had been in country for a few hours.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #409: June 06, 2017, 12:13:42 AM »
Wow, right??

I remember seeing lots of old guys in France for the 40th in June '84.  The locals loved them. 

Another war soon to make the transit from living memory to written history.   
D-Day was on a Tuesday in 1944.     Boyz were gettin' ready to hit the beach.    Airborne had been in country for a few hours.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #410: June 06, 2017, 01:38:38 AM »

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #411: June 06, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
...just glad I was in Bulgaria when those lot hit town this year and missed out on it altogether.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #412: July 04, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
Happy Birthday, America...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #413: July 04, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #414: July 21, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I'm sittin' here thinkin' about July 21.    I know there's something in history that should be remembered today  ...  Got it.    Googled to be sure.    July 21, 1861   ...   Bull Run.    Can you imagine fightin' a battle in this weather with woolen uniforms?

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Manassas_First_Battle_of

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/maps/first-manassas-july-21-1861

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #415: August 01, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Volunteers sought for reading of the names at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/39995/volunteers-sought-for-reading-of-the-names-at-the-vietnam-veterans-memorial/

The Reading of the Names has taken place in Washington, D.C. just five other times in The Wall’s history. In November 1982, the names were read aloud at Washington National Cathedral as part of a week-long national salute to Vietnam Veterans. The names were read at The Wall during the 10th anniversary in November 1992, during the 20th anniversary in 2002, 25th anniversary in 2007 and during the 30th anniversary in 2012.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #416: August 01, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
Volunteers sought for reading of the names at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/39995/volunteers-sought-for-reading-of-the-names-at-the-vietnam-veterans-memorial/

The Reading of the Names has taken place in Washington, D.C. just five other times in The Wall’s history. In November 1982, the names were read aloud at Washington National Cathedral as part of a week-long national salute to Vietnam Veterans. The names were read at The Wall during the 10th anniversary in November 1992, during the 20th anniversary in 2002, 25th anniversary in 2007 and during the 30th anniversary in 2012.

I was there in '82.    I don't know about readin' though.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #417: August 01, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »

I would think that might be difficult for a vet who lost friends.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #418: August 01, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »
I would think that might be difficult for a vet who lost friends.

Tear up thinkin' about it ...    Such an emotional time on so many levels.   Think about how ya may have lucked out.    Think about the kid you went to HS with.    Think about the guys from Basic and AIT   ...  some of 'em you wonder whatever happend to 'em.    Then you find out.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #419: August 01, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Tear up thinkin' about it ...

I graduated high school in '76 at which time the war was over.  Had a cousin who served and was wounded but he's fine.  I didn't lose anyone so consider myself luck in that respect.  Growing up as I did that was "my" war, I have an affinity and respect for those who served. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #420: August 01, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »

My cousin was killed in Vietnam on 6/30/70.  I never met him...that I recall anyway.  I started college just a few days after he was killed...he was a little more than a year older than me.  I've asked to read his name...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #421: August 01, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
My cousin was killed in Vietnam on 6/30/70.  I never met him...that I recall anyway.  I started college just a few days after he was killed...he was a little more than a year older than me.  I've asked to read his name...

Let me know if you get a schedule for your reading.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #422: August 01, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Let me know if you get a schedule for your reading.

If they approve my request...it will be on November 10th (Memorial Day...how fitting) at 5:34PM.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #423: August 01, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
If they approve my request...it will be on November 10th (Memorial Day...how fitting) at 5:34PM.

Memorial Day?    Ain't the 10th the Marines' birthday?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #424: August 01, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
Memorial Day?    Ain't the 10th the Marines' birthday?

Sorry...Veterans Day...doh..