Author Topic: It's time to get a hitting coach from outside the organization  (Read 3337 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Absolutely don't bunt. Not with the bases loaded, one out.  That's a sure way to manufacture a doubleplay.

What?! You must be high.

Bunt scores a run there.

Offline Ray D

What?! You must be high.

That's irrelevant.

No, with the bases loaded you have two disadvanteges.  One, the force at the plate means the catcher doesn't have to tag the runner, which makes it significantly easier to get the out when all he has to do is step on the plate.  Second, he can step on the plate to get the out long before the runner reaches the plate and therefore has much more time to complete the doubleplay.  I remember a couple or three years ago, twice,  Livan took it upon himself to bunt with the bases loaded. Doupleplays both times.

Pretty good for being high, hey?

Online Slateman

Decent bunt gets pushed to first, now it's a contest who can get and Desmond is coming down the line. Worst case scenario, force out at the plate. We saw that Roark runs decently. Now you have two outs and your hottest hitter at the plate. Much better odds than letting your crappy pitcher swing away.

Roark is not a fat ass like Livan. The correct call was bunt.

Offline PC

Decent bunt gets pushed to first, now it's a contest who can get and Desmond is coming down the line. Worst case scenario, force out at the plate. We saw that Roark runs decently. Now you have two outs and your hottest hitter at the plate. Much better odds than letting your crappy pitcher swing away.

Roark is not a fat ass like Livan. The correct call was bunt.

I think this post belongs in the Fire Matt Williams thread because this call is all on the manager.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
What's going on right now as we speak is what drives me so damn crazy I'm hyperventilating.  We get a run in the first. Then in the second two hits and a walk to load the bases and it looks like we're going to blow the game open. And we don't score.  I get the sinking feeling that that one run is it for us for the game.

Sad, but true.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Really Roark should have just stood at the plate with the bat on his shoulder and let the chips fall where they may

Offline Ray D

The correct call was bunt.

Let me know the next time you see a batter bunt with the bases loaded.   Or tell me when you've seen it (aside from the batter himself making a stupid decision, like Livan.)  It doesn't happen. If it were the "correct" call, it would happen.

Online Slateman

Let me know the next time you see a batter bunt with the bases loaded.   Or tell me when you've seen it (aside from the batter himself making a stupid decision, like Livan.)  It doesn't happen. If it were the "correct" call, it would happen.

Doesn't change the fact that a bunt was the correct call.

Online Slateman

Team struggles to hit with RISP. Has for years. Time to fire some coaches and bring in some fresh blood with new ideas.

Offline PC

I don't think this team is fixable by firing a coach.  The bases were loaded with NO OUTS and they scored nothing.  That's so difficult to do but it's almost routine for this team.  THIS isn't coaching, as much as I've griped about preparation.  You just need to be a professional and this team consists entirely of players who aren't.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Fire Rizzo, Fire Neckstein. How dare they choke with the bases loaded.

Offline blue911

Bring in Dave Hudgens as the assistant hitting coach. I've been beating the 2 hitting coach drum for a while and would like to see it happen.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Mr Clean

They should hire one of those loud mouth Little League coaches to stand around and yell at everyone.

Offline gonats34

Hitting Coach
« Reply #65: May 30, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
It's obvious that offense has been our biggest problem this season. Pitching has actually been fairly decent, but I'm surprised if we play a game lately where we put up 4 runs, earned or unearned. How long can this go on? How long do you give our hitting coach? New York apparently didn't hesitate in getting rid of theirs, so why can't we?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
It's obvious that offense has been our biggest problem this season. Pitching has actually been fairly decent, but I'm surprised if we play a game lately where we put up 4 runs, earned or unearned. How long can this go on? How long do you give our hitting coach? New York apparently didn't hesitate in getting rid of theirs, so why can't we?
Welcome to the Board!  Lot's of people have been asking this question.  I think Schu will have a long leash because the team started to score runs and hit better when he took over last year.  I think they will also give him some slack because there have been so many injured regulars and regulars playing hurt.  That said, no one will argue that the offense is going well, and often the hitting coach is the easiest way to shake things up.

Offline gonats34

Trying to avoid saying this after only two straight solid hitting performances but maybe we have something going here??

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Instead of everyone slumping at once, a number of guys are suddenly getting hot.  McClouth and Hairston off the bench, Rendon suddenly white hot and Laroche picking up where he left off.  Span's contributing as well. 

Not sure 2 games is a trend but it's a welcome break from trying to calculate choke ratios.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Give the hitting coach a raise! Extend Rizzo!

Offline gonats34

Give the hitting coach a raise! Extend Rizzo!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..... :lol: