Author Topic: 2014 MLB Draft  (Read 34591 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: 2014 MLB Draft
« Reply #150: June 05, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
Elite pitching is not valued more than elite hitting, if you disagree, just compare salaries of elite pitchers to elite hitters.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #151: June 05, 2014, 09:24:28 PM »
 Was surprised by the number 3 comment, but that's typical the safe projection from these guys when a guy isn't an A+ prospect.

He probably has the highest upside of anyone left and is a pitcher, no problems taking him. Hopelfully he just got his enievatable Tommy John out of the way. 

Mid 90s, good height, plus plus slider, develpoing change.

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #152: June 05, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
You cant draft for immediate need in baseball. Even college bats are a few years away so  I think you go BPA.

I think Fedde fit that at that point. He was ranked top 10 before the injury. He has great command of his fastball and is a very good athlete. The down time after surgery and the rehab process should allow him to get stronger overall. Maybe add a couple pounds to his frame, but more importantly, add a little more stamina/durability. The athleticism should allow him to get back to form once hes back on the bump. I dont think hes an ace but think theres definite 2/3 potential.

Pitching is always valued more. As in impact on the club and as value in trades. I dont have a problem going another arm in the first.

Definitely need some bats and some youth in the lower levels of the minors though.

I agree you aren't going to see immediate impact but we are very very thin on bats in the system. Someone like Gillaspie or Gatewood would have helped that a lot. If you're going to take a risk on someone like Hoffman then I can understand but Fedde doesn't have the same stuff and a questionable frame to whether he can add to that. He just doesn't have the upside in my mind as the others available at the time.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #153: June 05, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
Fedde went to high school with Harper.  Maybe this has something to do with keeping him here.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #154: June 05, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
Fedde went to high school with Harper.  Maybe this has something to do with keeping him here.

Fedde wasn't able to keep him in HS :lol:

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #155: June 05, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
I disagree on position player prospects. Including Harper and Rendon, who are here for awhile, Souza, Taylor, Ward, severino, Skole, vettleson, renda,Goodwin.  Pitching wise, outside of Giolito and Cole, I'm not sure we have much on the pitching side. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #156: June 05, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »
There are so many good players left out there. Hopefully the Nats can grab an impactful guy.

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #157: June 05, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I disagree on position player prospects. Including Harper and Rendon, who are here for awhile, Souza, Taylor, Ward, severino, Skole, vettleson, renda,Goodwin.  Pitching wise, outside of Giolito and Cole, I'm not sure we have much on the pitching side.

Taylor is currently tearing it up in AA true but far from a big bat. Souza probably has the best "big bat" potential as a 20-20 guy. Ward really needs to show the raw potential he's touted for to even be considered for a big bat in the system. Severino is really really lacking in his offensive game, not sure how he made your list honestly. Skole did have the fast track for offensive help to this lineup until he just simply fell off. Vettleson projects more as a good off the bench bat then an impact one. Renda was 22 playing in Low-A, good gap power but again far from impact. Goodwin is another speed first guy with only average power and strikes out a ton. None of these guys are currently going to be penciled in in the near future as having an impact bat.

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #158: June 05, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »
Davidson to the Braves.....sigh.....jealous  :'(

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #159: June 05, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
Taylor is currently tearing it up in AA true but far from a big bat. Souza probably has the best "big bat" potential as a 20-20 guy. Ward really needs to show the raw potential he's touted for to even be considered for a big bat in the system. Severino is really really lacking in his offensive game, not sure how he made your list honestly. Skole did have the fast track for offensive help to this lineup until he just simply fell off. Vettleson projects more as a good off the bench bat then an impact one. Renda was 22 playing in Low-A, good gap power but again far from impact. Goodwin is another speed first guy with only average power and strikes out a ton. None of these guys are currently going to be penciled in in the near future as having an impact bat.

I listed position prospects. There are much higher rated than pitching prospects as a group, except that the two guest upside are pitchers.

We don't have any room in the near future for bats, who's going to leave in the next year or 2?  Hard enough trying to figure out what to do with Taylor and Souza. (And Skole if he can come back from that injury like he was before).

Ward is 19,2.5 years younger than league average and has a .150ish isoslugging, that very impressive.

You need many more pitching prospects than hitting prospects bc of injury, TINSTAPP, trade bait, etc.  right now, we have many more hitting prospects than pitching.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #160: June 05, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
Can't wait 'til Bud goes.

Why does he keep calling it the "Twenty-thousand and fourteen Player Draft?" It's 2014, not 20014. :crazy:

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #161: June 05, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Harrison, Gatewood or Reed fall to 57 please!!

Online RD

« Reply #162: June 05, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »
I agree you aren't going to see immediate impact but we are very very thin on bats in the system. Someone like Gillaspie or Gatewood would have helped that a lot. If you're going to take a risk on someone like Hoffman then I can understand but Fedde doesn't have the same stuff and a questionable frame to whether he can add to that. He just doesn't have the upside in my mind as the others available at the time.

How are your concerns with Fedde about size and TJ not the same concern with Hoffman? They have very similar builds. A difference of ten pounds is not a big deal when talking about 180-190. If you question it with Fedde, you have to question it with Hoffman.

Like I said, I understand not liking Fedde based on stuff. I agree that Hoffman was a better prospect but not by THAT much. But I dont see how you be down on Fedde for two traits that also apply to Hoffman.

I dont think Hoffman is an ace either. I think both have the ceiling of a two and Fedde could be a better pro. I think Hoffman has slightly better stuff but its not like he was a cant miss kid pre injury. Hoffman probably fit in the top 5 healthy, Fedde top 10-12. Not a huge difference in overall ranking or ability.

I agree that we could use some bats at the lower levels but there are a lot of picks to go. This was just the first pick.

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #163: June 05, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
I listed position prospects. There are much higher rated than pitching prospects as a group, except that the two guest upside are pitchers.

We don't have any room in the near future for bats, who's going to leave in the next year or 2?  Hard enough trying to figure out what to do with Taylor and Souza. (And Skole if he can come back from that injury like he was before).

Ward is 19,2.5 years younger than league average and has a .150ish isoslugging, that very impressive.

You need many more pitching prospects than hitting prospects bc of injury, TINSTAPP, trade bait, etc.  right now, we have many more hitting prospects than pitching.

If we are skipping prospects because of "where will we play them in 2 years?" then I've lost all faith/respect for our front office. You can't disregard a player because he's blocked. Especially for a team struggling for clutch hitting.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #164: June 05, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
If we are skipping prospects because of "where will we play them in 2 years?" then I've lost all faith/respect for our front office. You can't disregard a player because he's blocked. Especially for a team struggling for clutch hitting.

I wouldn't skip guys similar to how Rendon wasn't skipped bc of Zimmerman.  Just saying if peoples argument against this pick is we need hitters, it doesn't make sense to me bc we need pitchers just as much or more.

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #165: June 05, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
How are your concerns with Fedde about size and TJ not the same concern with Hoffman? They have very similar builds. A difference of ten pounds is not a big deal when talking about 180-190. If you question it with Fedde, you have to question it with Hoffman.

Like I said, I understand not liking Fedde based on stuff. I agree that Hoffman was a better prospect but not by THAT much. But I dont see how you be down on Fedde for two traits that also apply to Hoffman.

I dont think Hoffman is an ace either. I think both have the ceiling of a two and Fedde could be a better pro. I think Hoffman has slightly better stuff but its not like he was a cant miss kid pre injury. Hoffman probably fit in the top 5 healthy, Fedde top 10-12. Not a huge difference in overall ranking or ability.

I agree that we could use some bats at the lower levels but there are a lot of picks to go. This was just the first pick.

Definitely not disregarding Hoffman's TJS. I like Hoffman's stuff better. I like his frame better, I think he projects to bulk up better then Fedde. My knock on Hoffman was his TJS. On a Fedde it was his frame AND his TJS.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #166: June 05, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
Gatewood and Reed both still available at pick 41

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #167: June 05, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
freak there goes Gatewood

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #168: June 05, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
Gatewood and Reed both still available at pick 41

Jinx  :evil:

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #169: June 05, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
Harrison and Reed still there. Would love either.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #170: June 05, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »
Who is this Fisher guy Houston took?

Offline wrwcwn

« Reply #171: June 05, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »
Who is this Fisher guy Houston took?

A plus power hitter.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #173: June 05, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
A plus power hitter.
To left field? Power hitters to left field go with the Juice Box like peanut butter and chocolate.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #174: June 05, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »
Gargh why can't we just draft a position player and not have him pan out like Chris Marrero :(