Author Topic: The Tommy John Epidemic  (Read 11154 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: The Tommy John Epidemic
« Reply #75: May 06, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
partial tear.  Last I saw he was going to try to pitch through it.

has this ever worked? I can't remember anyone 'pitching through it' or rehabbing and actually avoiding TJ

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: May 06, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »
partial tear.  Last I saw he was going to try to pitch through it. Maybe a platelet rich blood injection, too.  Stinks for my fantasy team.
Oh yes, I'm sure that will turn out smashingly.

Offline PC

« Reply #77: May 08, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
partial tear.  Last I saw he was going to try to pitch through it. Maybe a platelet rich blood injection, too.  Stinks for my fantasy team.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/08/rays-ace-alex-cobb-to-undergo-tommy-john-elbow-surgery/

Still stinks for your fantasy team, though.   :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: May 08, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/08/rays-ace-alex-cobb-to-undergo-tommy-john-elbow-surgery/

Still stinks for your fantasy team, though.   :)
too bad for him.  I guess that this means he's probably not back in MLB until after the 2016 All Star game.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #79: May 10, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
With pitchers dropping left and right, do you guys think teams will change their approaches to acquiring prospects and focus primarilly on getting large quantities of position player prospects like the Epstein Cubs and the mid-2000s Brewers did instead of pinning all their hopes on young pitchers?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #80: May 10, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »
Pitching is still too much of the game.  Another view would be to treat pitchers like a production line and have more of them to fill in when some pitchers arms blow out.  But it does give MLB a reason to not give great signing bonuses due to the risk involved with young arms.

With pitchers dropping left and right, do you guys think teams will change their approaches to acquiring prospects and focus primarilly on getting large quantities of position player prospects like the Epstein Cubs and the mid-2000s Brewers did instead of pinning all their hopes on young pitchers?

Offline whytev

« Reply #81: May 10, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »
Pitching is still too much of the game.  Another view would be to treat pitchers like a production line and have more of them to fill in when some pitchers arms blow out.  But it does give MLB a reason to not give great signing bonuses due to the risk involved with young arms.

It would slow the game down, but shorter starts would help. If starters rarely went over 80 pitches, and you were allowed to carry 30 guys, suddenly that load is shifted.

I know relievers get the surgery too, but not as often.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #82: May 11, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »

That assumes that all pitching prospects are the same and MLB level starters are fungible, which they're obviously not.  Expanding the roster and watering down starting pitching is a terrible idea.  Anyone remember when the Rockies tried that and failed?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #83: May 14, 2015, 04:38:13 AM »
I'm not suggesting watering down starting pitching - only having more arms to fill in as arms blow out

That assumes that all pitching prospects are the same and MLB level starters are fungible, which they're obviously not.  Expanding the roster and watering down starting pitching is a terrible idea.  Anyone remember when the Rockies tried that and failed?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #84: May 14, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
I'm not suggesting watering down starting pitching - only having more arms to fill in as arms blow out

which has the effect of watering down pitching (or hitting if you use all of your assets to create a pitching assembly line)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #87: February 24, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #90: May 11, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
Education? Smarter managing?
Everyone already had one?

Offline whytev