Author Topic: Braves Series (4/4-4/6)  (Read 12742 times)

Offline PC

Re: Braves Series
« Reply #100: April 05, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
Which is why instant replay works.

You can't just go to replay.  Thie umpire has to make a ruling and replay either confirms or overrules.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #101: April 05, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
I agree that there should be a rule change. The ball should be either irretrievably stuck or invisibly under an obstruction (field tarp). There's no reason to take a base away from Desmond because he hit a ball so hard it got slightly stuck in padding.

It should be quite the opposite. What a wussy rule.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #102: April 05, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »
You can't just go to replay.  Thie umpire has to make a ruling and replay either confirms or overrules.

The umpires DID make a ruling.  They ruled it a homer.  Instant replay overturned it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #103: April 05, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
I agree that there should be a rule change. The ball should be either irretrievably stuck or invisibly under an obstruction (field tarp). There's no reason to take a base away from Desmond because he hit a ball so hard it got slightly stuck in padding.

It should be quite the opposite. What a wussy rule.

THAT is a rational argument. 

The rule does suck as written and should be addressed.

Offline PC

« Reply #104: April 05, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
The umpires DID make a ruling.  They ruled it a homer.  Instant replay overturned it.

Then no, the ruling would have been that the ball wasn't stuck.  What evidence in New York did they have to overrule that as the ball was picked up an thrown which is supposed to mean that the ball is in play.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #105: April 05, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Then no, the ruling would have been that the ball wasn't stuck.  What evidence in New York did they have to overrule that as the ball was picked up an thrown which is supposed to mean that the ball is in play.

Common freaking sense and a elementary knowledge of physics?

« Reply #106: April 05, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
THAT is a rational argument. 

The rule does suck as written and should be addressed.

My thought is that if the player throws his hands up and the ump can safely remove the ball from wherever it's stuck, then it's an automatic home run.

Same with ball lost under the tarp. If it can be seen from the angle the player was at when he threw his hands up then it's an automatic home run. If it dribbles back to a spot where it can be seen oh well.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #107: April 05, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »
Which is why instant replay works.
Not this time.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #108: April 05, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
My thought is that if the player throws his hands up and the ump can safely remove the ball from wherever it's stuck, then it's an automatic home run.

Same with ball lost under the tarp. If it can be seen from the angle the player was at when he threw his hands up then it's an automatic home run. If it dribbles back to a spot where it can be seen oh well.

I like the addition of the word "irretrievable" which would make total sense in this case, but the tarps could pose a serious problem with the definition of "irretrievable" unless you also add something like, "in the normal course of game action" or some other such wording.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #109: April 05, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
Exactly.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #110: April 05, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Not this time.

Why?  They got the call right.  If you can't watch the video and tell me that the natural motion of the ball was impeded in any way then I will stop because you won't be working with standard scientific principles.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/atl/nationals-potential-inside-the-park-home-run-ruled-ground-rule-double-by-replay?ymd=20140404&content_id=70926062&vkey=news_atl

Watch from the 50 second mark and tell me at the 58-59 second mark that the ball doesn't stop rolling due to hitting a spot in the padding which caused it to "stick" to the wall as the rule states.

Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or
under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the
fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which
sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be
entitled to two bases;

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #111: April 05, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #112: April 05, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Christ, if you watch the video, you can see plain as day the padding in that spot is on a different level than the padding on either side of it.

But the fix was in once they sent the call to New York.  :lmao:

Offline blue911

« Reply #113: April 05, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Again Rule 6.09(f):

(f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or
under a fence
, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the
fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which
sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be
entitled to two bases;

It doesn't mention stuck, it clearly states under a fence, which it most certainly did.

« Reply #114: April 05, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
There should be baseball lawyers and precedence. I want to know if a previous ruling on the field was different and call bullcrap.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #115: April 05, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
Again Rule 6.09(f):

It doesn't mention stuck, it clearly states under a fence, which it most certainly did.

It does mention "sticks" which is exactly what happened... 

"(f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or
sticks in a fence or scoreboard,
in which case the batter and the runners shall be
entitled to two bases;"

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #116: April 05, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
There should be baseball lawyers and precedence. I want to know if a previous ruling on the field was different and call bullcrap.

This is the first one with instant replay.  This is the "precedence" you seek.  :P

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #117: April 05, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
Christ, if you watch the video, you can see plain as day the padding in that spot is on a different level than the padding on either side of it.

But the fix was in once they sent the call to New York.  :lmao:
Oh stop with the nonsense I never said a word about a conspiracy I said IMO they were wrong to overturn the home run call because the ball didn't pass through anything it was right freaking there for Upton to pick up which he did quite easily.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #118: April 05, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »
Oh stop with the nonsense I never said a word about a conspiracy I said IMO they were wrong to overturn the home run call because the ball didn't pass through anything it was right freaking there for Upton to pick up which he did quite easily.

"(f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or
entitled to two bases;"

Then explain the bolded portion of the rule.

The rule sucks, but the call was correct.

« Reply #119: April 05, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
I can't find MLB's definition of "fence".

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/definition_terms_2.jsp

Or sticking, for that matter.

just messing around at this point

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #120: April 05, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »
I can't find MLB's definition of "fence".

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/definition_terms_2.jsp

Or sticking, for that matter.

just messing around at this point

Then you defer to Merriam-Webster?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #121: April 05, 2014, 11:03:48 AM »
entitled to two bases;"

Then explain the bolded portion of the rule.

The rule sucks, but the call was correct.
It wasn't stuck.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #122: April 05, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
It wasn't stuck.

Then you don't believe in science.  Did you watch the video?

Offline PC

« Reply #123: April 05, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
Common freaking sense and a elementary knowledge of physics?

Instead of the rule book? Ok.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #124: April 05, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
Instead of the rule book? Ok.

Dude.  Seriously. 

The rule is plain as freaking day.  And if you watch the video and tell me the ball doesn't "stick" in the fence then you must also believe that the flat earth is the center of the universe and that the moon is made of cream cheese.